Nothing says Christmas like a glass of best homemade eggnog! This holiday treat is super simple to make with our easy eggnog recipe. And if you think you don’t like eggnog, you’ve never tried home made egg nog before! This eggnog recipe without alcohol is perfect for the whole family to enjoy! So try this DIY, non-alcoholic treat this December!
Jump to Recipe
I loved my mom’s eggnog recipe growing up, but then everyone realized it wasn’t really save to drink raw eggs. I tried the storebought versions, but they tasted so nasty! The artificial flavor was just no the same as a delicious glass of homemade eggnog! So I started messing around with a homemade eggnog recipe where the eggs would be cooked that still had that wonderful nostalgic, made-from-scratch taste! Our family slurps up this home made egg nog. Some of us like this eggnog recipe non alcoholic served warm (me), some like it the traditionally chilled version (my husband), and my kids love it blended with ice for a fun eggnog milkshake version. No matter your preference, this diy eggnog is sure to hit the spot!
BEST Homemade Eggnog
To make your own simple eggnot recipe all you need are a few common kitchen ingredients:
- egg yolks
- granulated sugar
- heavy whipping cream
- ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
Easy Eggnog Recipe
Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a medium bowl until light and creamy.
Homemade Eggnog Recipe
Now, in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cream, milk, nutmeg and salt. Stir often until mixture reaches a simmer.
Home made Egg nog
Add a big spoonful of the hot milk to the egg mixture, whisking vigorously. Repeat, adding a big spoonful at a time, to temper the eggs. (This heats the eggs enough to kill any bacteria slowly so as not ot make scrambled eggs in milk).
Simple Eggnog Recipe
Once most of the hot milk has been added to the eggs, pour the mixture back into the saucepan on the stove. Whisk constantly for just a few minutes, until the mixture is just slightly thickened (or until it reaches about 160 degrees F on a thermometer). It will thicken more as it cools.
Remove the eggnog from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
Personally, I love to drink it warm. Its like a comforting, holiday hug! Like warm milk as a kid, but the beverage is all grown up.
If you prefer it chilled simply refrigerate the drink until chilled. It will thicken as it cools.
HINT: If you want a thinner, completely smooth consistency, you can add the entire mixture to a blender with 1 or 2 tablespoons of milk and blend until smooth. Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg, and fresh whipped cream, if desired.
My kids favorite is to mix the egg nog with ice cubes and a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a decadent, creamy eggnog milkshake!
Eggnog Recipe Non Alcoholic
Store homemade eggnog in the fridge for up to one week.
Eggnog Recipe without Alcohol
Once you try homemade eggnog you will never go back to the storebough garbage! Such a quick and easy treat that becomes a holiday tradition!
Christmas drink recipes
Nothing says Christmas like a glass of this homemade eggnog! Our easy recipe makes the creamiest, best, most delicious non-alcoholic beverage
- Amazing Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls
- The BEST Monkey Bread Recipe
- Homemade Oatmeal: Crockpot Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal, Slow Cooker Blueberry Oatmeal. Bannana Oatmeal, Chocolate Berry Overnight Oats, or Butterscotch Oats – a really good oatmeal !
- Flavorful Peach Bread with pecans
- Easy Banana Walnut Bread
- Cheesey Hashbrown Casserole
- Cinnamon Zucchini Coffee Cake
- Delicious Cinnamon Coffee Cake with cinnamon streussal filling and crumb topping
- Family Favorite Blueberry Muffins with a streusal topping
- Blueberry Breakfast Casserole
- Fall favorite, Breakfast Apple Cake
- Breakfast Pizza is such a yummy, Easy Breakfast Ideas
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Dad’s Healthy Egg McMuffin
- Heavenly Orange Rolls
- Super Easy Egg Casserole you can make ahead
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- No Fail Pancake Recipe or our Yummy Banana Pancakes
- Sourdough Crepes with Bananas Foster
- Homemade, Bread Machine English Muffins – way better than the store bought and easier than you’d think
- Pumpkin Waffles are so flavorful and taste like fall
- Easy Breakfast Casserole with Croutons
- Yummy Gingerbread Waffles
- BEST Sweet Chili Recipe
- Hambone Soup Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Chili
- Instapot Corn Chowder Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Best ever Tomato Soup with bacon
- Leftover Thanksgiving Soup
- Green Chicken Taco Soup
- Early Autumn Fall Soup Recipes with sausage and apple
- Easy Black Bean Soup Recipe
Recipes for Salads and Sandwiches
- Outrageously good Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Creamy Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
- Shredded Chicken Sandwich Recipe that is perfect for company
- Grilled Brie and Pear Sandwich
- Kid Favorite Quesadilla Pizza School Lunch
- Best Oriental Coleslaw with Soy Sauce
- Beet Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
- Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
- Ground Beef Taco Salad
- Easy Spinach and Berry Salad
- Best Potato Salad loaded up with bacon, eggs, cheese, and more!
- Snicker Apple Salad Recipe – my kids favorite Thanksgiving dish!
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad with Cashews, Bacon, and tangy dressing!
- Maple Orange Glazed Ham
- Mom’s Easy Lasagna Recipe
- Quick and Easy Orange Couscous Chicken
- General Tso Chicken Recipe
- Yummy Orange Chicken Pasta is perfect for a quick weekday supper
- Easy Cashew Chicken Recipe
- Delicious Homemade Tortilla Recipe
- Rich Mac and Cheese Pies
- Sausage Make Ahead Foil Packet Dinners
- Easy Barbecue Chicken Recipe
- Juicy Lemon Chicken Pasta Instant pot
- Quick and Easy Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Jazzed up Creamed Chicken over Biscuits
- Best Ever Mac and Cheese
- Copycat Dave’s Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- Easy Cheese Souffle
- Super Tender BBQ Roast
- Homemade Copycat Godfathers Taco Pizza Recipe
- Easy Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- Leftover Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
- How to make homemade pasta
- Super Flavorful Grilled Pork Loin
- Healthy Pineapple Fried Rice
- Easy Pasta Recipe with Ham, Walnuts, and Parmesan Cheese
Breads and Side Dishes
- Angel Rolls – The BEST Homemade Crescent Rolls
- Super Moist Southern Cornbread recipe with creamed corn
- Easy Bread Machine Hamurger Buns
- Super Yummy Quick Yeast Rolls
- Southern Corn Spoon Bread
- Rosemary Crock pot Bread
- Sweet Potato Sourdough Buns
- Delicious Yeastless Bread – quick bread recipe no yeast
- Holiday Green Bean Casserole
- Smoked Green Beans – cook in the oven or smoker
- Best Sweet Potato Casserole
- Family Favorite Cornbread Stuffing
- Seriously the Best, Make Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes
- Homemade Butterscotch Pudidng Recipe
- This Easy Oreo Cheeseball can be served as an appetizer or dessert!
- Easy Pecan Pie Bars
- Refreshing Lemonade Cake
- Easy Fall Dessert – a mix and dump pumpkin cake that EVERYONE will love!
- Super Easy Date Bars with nuts
- Scrumptious Homemade Cherry Pie
- Making this snow ice cream is one my kids’ favorite annual traditions!
- Perfect for summer, Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Crumb Bars
- Pumpkin Lava Cake is an ooey gooey fall dessert your family will want seconds of!
- Creamy Peaches and Cream Ice Cream recipe
- This sandcastle ice cream is so clever and EASY to make! You are sure to be the coolest mom on the block!
- You don’t need a fancy ice cream maker; here is how to make ice cream in a bag
- These homemade cinnamon sugar tortilla chips are the perfect dessert to go along with your Mexican dinner
- If you’ve never tried our melt in your mouth sugar cookies, you are missing out!
- Whip up a batch of this carmel chex mix for your next game night or potluck!
- These snicker cookies are so decadent with a delightful melty middle!
- Easy, frozen Summer Strawberry Dessert
- This soft Gingerbread Man Recipe for kids is my most requested for every cookie swap!
- Leftover Pie Crust Pinwheels
- I can almost smell this cooking, my perfect every time, best pumpkin pie recipe
- My kids favorite cookies – Monster Cookie Recipe
- Or make these classic Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- So good their gone, easy homemade brownies recipe
- Perfect for summer, Lemon Bars with vanilla wafer crust
- Homemade Ice Cream Cake – this is what I request for my birthday cake every year! YUM!
- Classic Vanilla Ice Cream in a homemade ice cream maker
- Our favorite cake ball recipes
- So good you just can’t stop eating it Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge
- Mom’s Homemade Apple Pie
- Oh-so-Delicious Tres Leches Cake is quick and easy to make!
- Buttery Spritz Cookies
- Pepperoni Cheeseball Game Day Appetizers
- Easy, Homemade Oven Baked Caramel Popcorn
- My famous pineapple cream cheese dip
- Zesty Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Our GO TO Salsa Recipe with gardne fresh tomatoes
- Grab your veggies, they are going to want to take a dunk in this Southwestern Dip
- Family Favorite appetizer meatballs with super quick secret sauce!
- Quick Pineapple Salsa made from scratch
- Sweet and Sour Bacon and Water Chestnut Appetizer
- Go to Peanut Butter Dip for Apples
- Quick and EASY Bagel Dip
- Homemade Apple Hand Pies with carmel dipping sauce
- Creamy, Homemade White Hot Chocolate Recipe
- It wouldn’t be Christmas without serving up this family traditional Wassail Recipe
- Easy Homemade Hot Cocoa
- You’ve got to try this incredible Homemade Eggnog recipe
Creamy Homemade Eggnog Recipe
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups milk I use organic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash ground cinnamon
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a medium bowl until light and creamy.
- Now, in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cream, milk, nutmeg and salt. Stir often until mixture reaches a simmer.
- Add a big spoonful of the hot milk to the egg mixture, whisking vigorously. Repeat, adding a big spoonful at a time, to temper the eggs. (This heats the eggs enough to kill any bacteria slowly so as not ot make scrambled eggs in milk).
- Once most of the hot milk has been added to the eggs, pour the mixture back into the saucepan on the stove. Whisk constantly for just a few minutes, until the mixture is just slightly thickened (or until it reaches about 160 degrees F on a thermometer). It will thicken more as it cools.
- Remove the eggnot from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Personally, I love to drink it warm,but if you prefer it chilled simply refrigerate the drink until chilled. It will thicken as it cools. If you want a thinner, completely smooth consistency, you can add the entire mixture to a blender with 1 or 2 tablespoons of milk and blend until smooth. Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg, and fresh whipped cream, if desired.
- Store homemade eggnog in the fridge for up to one week.
I like mine warm too! This was so creamy and delicious!
Just what I was looking for. WE all loved it
Oooh, I’m going to try the milkshake version next time… maybe the Elf will bring them a treat =) Thanks, this was yummy.