This yummy breakfast casserole recipe is a huge hit with kids and adults alike. Croutons give this casserole it’s amazing flavor and make it super easy to make. Plus this Easy Crouton Breakfast Casserole Recipe can be made overnight.
More Yummy Recipes
- Best Ever Tomato Soup Recipe
- Melt in Your Mouth Sugar Cookies
- Favorite Garbanzo Bean Recipe
- How to Make Snow Candy
- Homemade Taco Pizza
- Amazing Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe Ever
- Easy Crock Pot Barbecue Sandwiches
Easy Crouton Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Here is one of our favorite breakfast casserole recipes. We love to make this for Christmas breakfast, but you could make this any time you want a yummy, easy to throw together casserole. We love that you can make it ahead so all you have to do is pop it into the oven in the morning.
This casserole is not only super easy to make, but has a great flavor. The toasted croutons make a perfect substance that isn’t mushy like strata or crunch like topping. YUMMY!
In a bowl mix together:
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups half and half (it makes it richer than milk)
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teas salt
Now add 1 bag of croutons (5 oz) – we used garlic & cheese.
If you’d like you can add 3/4 cup cooked bacon, ham, or sausage.
Stir and pour into 9×13 pan.
Sprinkle 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese on the top of your casserole.
I sprinkled with chopped, sweet red peppers and sliced green onions. It’s optional, but it not only added some healthy veggies, but also made it very festive for Christmas breakfast.
Cover and put in the fridge overnight. It can be made up to 3 days ahead of time.
On Christmas morning just pull the casserole out of the fridge and allow the pan to come to room temperature while the oven preheats to 325 F. (During this time we whip up a batch of our favorite Christmas drink – Wassail).
Cover and bake 45 minutes. (This is the perfect amount of time to unwrap presents! The casserole is ready just as we finish opening everything up. After breakfast it’s time to PLAY!)
NOTE: The picture shows the time I accidentally cooked the casserole uncovered so it got a little more brown on the top and edges than we like. But I loved the Christmas plates….. so that’s the one I choose =)
Easy Crouton Breakfast Casserole
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspooon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces bag croutons
- 1 cup cooked bacon, ham, or sausage
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- The night before mix together the first 4 ingredients and put in 9x13 pan. Add in bag of crouton and meat and toss with eggs in pan. Sprinkle with cheese and chopped pepper. Cover and store in the refrigerator overnight (and up to 3 days).
- When you are ready to cook the casserole preheat the oven to 325 F while the 9x13 pan warms to room temperature. Bake covered for 45 minutes. Yum!