Do you know how to make ice cream in a bag? This delicious summer activity for kids is quick, easy, and FUN! You can whip up a batch of this yummy ice cream in a bag with just 4 ingredients. Not only is this a delicious summer treat, but it is a fun summer activity for preschoolers too! This ice cream in a bag experiment is actually a chance to see a scientific principle – changing states of matter! Simply print our ice cream in a bag science experiment worksheet and you are ready to play and learn with summer science for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th graders too.
How to make ice cream in a bag
This ice cream in a bag experiment is such a delicious summer treat, summer science experiment, and a fun summer activity for kids all at the same time. You will be amazed how simple it is when I show you how to make homemade ice cream in a bag! Our ice cream in a bag recipe usese just a handful of real ingredients you may already have in your kitchen! This yummy ice cream recipe is as fun to make as it is too eat! Then use our ice cream in a bag worksheet to round out your summer experiment to help kids understand what they just learned! You MUST try this ice cream in a bag recipe that is also a states of matter experiment. Use the ice cream in a bag experiment worksheet with kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students. Plus this is a great preschool summer activity to add to your summer bucket list ideas!
Ice cream in a bag science experiment worksheet
how to make homemade ice cream in a bag
All you need to try this easy summer experiment for kids is the free worksheet at the bottom of the post, ziplock bags, and the ingredients: heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and optional pureed fruit or cocoa powder.
Ice cream in a bag recipe
- 1 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream (that’s 2 cups)
- 1 TAB powdered sugar (or other sweetener)
- 1 teas vanilla
- 2-3 TAB Pureed Fruit or Cocoa (optional)
- 1 quart ziplock bags
- 1 galloon size ziplock bag
- 1/2 cup rock salt
- 6 cups ice
ice cream in a bag experiment
Start by dumping your ingredients in a quart ziplock bag. Do NOT add the rock salt or ice at this point.
ice cream experiment
Now seal your bag, making sure it is completely sealed at the top or it won’t work!
ice cream science experiment
In a gallon size siplock bag add 6-8 cups of ice and 1/2 cup rock salt.
HINT: You can learn more about why salt changes the freezing point in this salt and ice experiment
Ice cream in a bag for Kids
Ice cream in a bag worksheet
Now put the quart size ice cream bag INSIDE the galloon size ice bag and seal carefully.
HINT: I like to use the bags with a “zipper” as it is easy for kids to ensure the bags are completely sealed!
Printable ice cream in a bag worksheet
Follow the directions on the FREE printable ice cream in a bag experiment worksheet including: make your hypothesis and draw pitures at the bottom of how your ingredients change thorugout this states of matter experiment for summer
Ice cream in a bag experiment worksheet
Now shake the bag for 15 minutes or so. This can be done on your own or with a friend.
Hint: Remember bags can split open if dropped.
How to make ice cream worksheet
Keep shaking until you get your desired consistency (soft serve to firm).
Ice Cream in a Bag Activity
It is ready to serve! YUM!
Ice cream worksheet
Whether you serve it as vanilla ice cream, top it with sprinkles, or try a flavored chocolate or fruit ice cream in a bag – it is delicious and educational at the same time!
Ice cream in a bag science experiment worksheet pdf
When we originally shared this activity with you we just shared the how to with a fun blueberry ice cream spin. But after reader request, we made a free worksheet to go along with the activity to help kids learn about the states of matter with an ice cream in a bag experiment worksheets!
Ice Cream Activities
- Free Printable Ice Cream Math Worksheets, adding to 10 Ice Cream Cut and Paste Activity, Popsicle Division Puzzles , scoop Place Value Ice Cream sundae, hands-on Place Value Ice Cream Cone
- Ice Cream Scoop Pattern Activity, free Ice Cream Worksheets, ice cream counting printable math craft, Popsicle counting, Count to 10 Number Popsicles, scoop pom-pom ice cream counting printable, free Ice Cream Worksheets Preschool count to ten
- Count to 20 and build free printable ice cream sundae template, free Ice Cream Math Game , FUN playdough ice cream pattern printable hands-on addition Ice Cream Math task cards, shape Ice Cream Playdough Mats, popsicle Shape Sorting Printable Free
- Alphabet ice cream handwriting paper, free Ice Cream alphabet printable puzzles, Ice Cream Theme ABC mats, Alphabet Popsicles matching capital and lowercase letters, popsicles fun letter tracing, cute ice cream coloring pages
- Free popsicle stick letters free template, Ice Cream Compound Word Puzzles or this other set of ice cream compound words
- Practice adding Ice Cream scoop endings to words with this word endings worksheets, Printable Digraph Activities for first grade scooping Ice Cream, cut and paste sentences ice cream worksheets, popsicle rhyme and dab Summer Literacy Activity
- Edible ice cream sand castle summer snack for kids, AMAZING ice cream play doh recipe, cute Summer Bucket List Ideas, color matching Ice Cream Theme activity, simple Ice Cream Coloring Pages pdf
- How to Make ice cream in a bag science experiment worksheet, 2 ingredient Gummy Bear Popsicles are so COLORFUL, try our delicious and EASY How to make homemade ice cream
- TONS of cute Ice Cream Craft Preschool, EPIC Ice Cream Volcano, cute I Spy I spy ice cream, preschool Ice Cream Handprint Craft, simple Ice Cream craft using washi tape, bubble wrap and Puffy Paint Ice Cream craft, Ice Cream Name Craft with template, free printable Ice Cream Coloring Pages
Summer Activities for Kids
- EASY Pool Noodle Race Track for Kids, 30 Homemade Bird Feeders to make, EPIC Water Balloon Painting Activities
- Fun-to-Make DIY Foosball Table, Easy Marshmallow Shooter, 100 Exciting Year-Round Science Experiments for Kids
- Vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint, 25+ Water Balloon Games, Outrageously fun Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting, Grass Head Summer Activity for Kids, Easy Sand Volcano with NO clean-up
- Strawberry Scented Jello Playdough Recipe, Snake Bubbles, Beautiful Capillary Action Experiment
- 75+ Free Printable Scavenger Hunts for Kids, 100 Amazing Food Science Experiments, cool Puffy Paint Recipes
- Simple and FUN Aluminum Foil Art, epic Mentos and Soda Experiment, Lemon Volcano is a fun Summer Experiment
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY! and How to Make a Simple Newton’s Cradle Science Experiment
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment, EASY Stained Glass Pasta Art for Kids, and 2 ingredient slime
- Scented Watermelon Playdough Recipe, ocean slime, Pretty Flower Mason Jar Lid Crafts
- Blow GIANT bubbles Homemade Bubble Solution, fun water balloon experiment, Free Zoo Scavenger Hunt
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough, Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft or shaving cream fireworks
- Check out June Crafts and June Activities for Kids, July Crafts and July Activities for kids, August Crafts and August Activities for kids, and don’t miss 107+ things to do in the summer
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Make a Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet or PVC Marshmallow Blasters, whip up some edible marshmallow playdough, and then add smores free camping math worksheets or camping math activities for preschoolers, finally play some no-prep campfire games
- Play with homemade color changing slime, Sand Slime, or watermelon slime, Kool Aid Playdough , vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint for Kids, yummy sandcastle ice cream, or make your own aqua magic sand
- Try some summer projects: balloon hovercraft, DIY scribble bot, foosball summer activity for kids, easy pool noodle race track, flow in the dark fairy jar, GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution, FUN Bubble Painting, must try Lego Zipline, Homemade Chalk Recipe, yummy How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag, I Spy DIY Bottles, epic Squirt Gun Painting, must try rocket experiment, or Water Balloon Games for Kids
- Don’t miss summer science projects: Water Balloon Experiment exploring density, sunscreen experiment for kids, colorful lemon volcano experiment, Exploding Watermelon, Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket , amazing fireworks in a jar experiment, balloon rocket experiment for preschool, melting sandcastle summer experiment, and lots more summer science experiments
- Get crafty with EASY Stained Glass Pasta Art , Amazing Bubble Painting, Flower Mason Jar Lid Craft, EASY Butterfly Craft for Kids, Silly Bandaid Art Craft for kids, bleeding tissue Paper Fireworks Craft, Tin Foil Art Project, over 100 animal crafts, salt fireworks 4th of July crafts, or First Day of Summer Craft
- Plan a Beach Theme week with Free Beach Worksheets, summer density tower, easy sand volcano, sandcastle letter tracing
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids including our popular Zoo Scavenger Hunt
- Nothing says summer like Ice Cream! Try our edible ice cream Playdough, make Playdough Patterns, super cool ice cream volcano, puffy paint ice cream
- Grab a free printable like our animal I Spy Printables, free life cycle of a frog worksheet, fun summer color by number, summer word search printables, free preschool coloring pages pdf, or math summer worksheets for kindergarten
- 25+ Water Balloon Games for Kids, water Balloon Painting Activity, Roll & Paint Balloon Painting, Balloon Paint Art Project, Music Activity for Kids, Epic Ideas for Water Balloon Painting
- Find more summer bucket list ideas including: printable summer bucket list BINGO, Ice Cream summer bucket list activities, and over 100 summer activities for kids,
Printable ice cream in a bag science experiment worksheet
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.