This beautiful butterfly craft for kids helpds kids explore science by making stunning chromatography butterflies! This easy butterfly craft is fun for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th graders. Besides creating a fun butterfly craft idea, you will learn about chromatography for kids. This is a fun coffee fitler craft, spring science experiment or summer activity for kids!
Butterfly Craft for Kids
I love when art and science come together. This STEM project allows kids to explore the science of chromatography while making a pretty butterfly craft for kids. First, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students will explore chromatograpy for kids. Next, they will turn their color experiment into lovely chromatography butterflies! This cheerful spring craft for kids is a great way to learn, explore, and create! You can also use this easy butterfly craft as a summer craft for kids or as part of a butterfly theme to sneak in some butterfly science!
All you need are a few simple materials to make this fun butterfly project:
- coffee filters (one per butterfly)
- markers (we found the colors in these mr sketch markers worked the BEST)
- binder clip
- craft stick (stick, or knife would work too)
- paint (optional)
- pipe cleaners
Chromatography for Kids
The first step is to explore chromatography for children. Start by drawing concentric circles at different intervals and different thickness with mr sketch markers on coffee filters.
Now fold in half, then half, then half again.
Attach at sidest part to a craft stick with binder clip. Now set it over a glass of water so there is just enough water so the end of the coffee filter barely touches.
The water will start moving up the coffee filter almost immediately. This happens quickly!
When the water has moved over just shy of the top of the coffee filter paper remove it, unfold and allow to dry. You see why I said you need to try mr sketch markers for chromatography experiments?! THe colors are so vivid and bold and absolutely stunning!
What is Chromatography?
Chromatography is the separation of a mixture by passing it in solution which the components move at different rates. Marker inks are made from many different colored dyes that together make the color you see when you colour with the marker. This darker the color, the more dyes that are used to get that exact shade of black or purple! Each color dye is made up of different chemicals which may be heavier or lighter than other dyes and as such they travel at different speeds as the water moves them up the paper. The lighter dyes move quickly up the paper while the heavier dyes may separate out first, but move more slowly. This creates the cool effect of this chromatography experiment. Because these are water based markers they will seperate in water; permament markers will not seperate in water, but will in alcohol.
Easy Butterfly Craft
Now comes the craft part. We are going to take this pretty, colorful coffee filters into a butterfly. After all, they are WAY to pretty to just throw out! Paint the clothespin, or color with marker if you want to have a colorful butterfly body. Then gather the coffee filter in the middle with the clothespin to make a butterfly.
Butterfly Craft Ideas
If you like you can add details with your markers, add googly eyes or use pipe cleaners to make antenna to attach to the clothespin.
Chromatography Butterfly Craft
Isn’t it so pretty!
I love when art and science meet! This project starts out with a chromatrography for kids science experiment. Next you take the gorgeous, bold and vivid colored coffee filters you created to make a pretty butterfly craft that is so simple, yet so stunning
Explore this fun science concept more with these chromatography projects:
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers
- Why do Leaves Change Colors? A fun chromatography activity for kids
- Permanent Marker Experiment in chromatography for kids
Butterfly Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun butterfly activities, butterfly crafts, and butterfly printables to add to your day or butterfly theme? Try these:
- Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheet Pack for kids
- Tissue Paper Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Life Cycle of a Butterfly Worksheet and Observation Book
- Butterfly Math – addition mats for pre-k and kindergarteners
- Free Rhyming Activities – Butterfly Puzzles
- 29 Pretty Butterfly Crafts for Kids
- Butterfly Math – Missing Addend Activity for Kindergarten
- Addition Butterfly Math Puzzles
- B is for Butterfly activities for toddler and preschoolers
- Butterfly Subtraction for Kindergarten
- Pop-up Butterfly Craft
- EASY Stained Glass Butterfly Craft
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!