These fun butterfly addition is a hands-on, engaging way for kindergarten, preschool, and pre-k students to practice counting to 10 with an addition activity. Use the butterfly printables puzzles for a spring math that will keep kids excited to practice adding within 10. Simply download pdf file with addition activities for kindergarten and you are ready to play and learn!
This fun Butterfly Addition game will be a hit with your students! Prsechoolers and kindergartners will use the butterfly math printable to practice adding to 10. This addition activities for kindergarten is a great way to get kids familiar with the concept of addition and to form a solid foundation for future math. Whether you are a parent looking for extra practice with spring math, teacher looking for math center in the classroom, butterfly theme, or homeschool math supplement – you will love this hands-on activity.
I like to get the students familiar with equations as early as possible. With puzzles like these, it helps them identify the relationship between the numbers and the items. Eventually, they will be able to make the link that adding up the two digits will give us a sum of the items.
For example, I had the kids build their puzzle, then build the number of butterflies using dough on the mat and then place the magnetic numbers (you can use dry erase markers on the mat instead of magnetic numbers) on the mat below their puzzle.
You can definitely choose the numbers and equations that you want your students to practice on. The colored butterfly puzzles can be used as a stand alone activity or along with the sunflower addition mat.
Addition activities for kindergarten
- Download the Butterfly Puzzle Cards and Mat below.
- Print in COLOR or BLACK & WHITE (use card stock or laminate the pages)
- Cut the cards out.
- Store them in a plastic sleeve or file folder.
- Prepare the cards for a group of students (you can print and laminate more for more groups).
Teaching Addition to Kindergarten
- Stack the puzzle cards in one pile and the mat in the center. I chose to print and laminate more than one mat (one for each pair of students) so that I can see them working individually on their addition skills.
- The kids will pick a puzzle card and read the numbers on the equation then add up the numbers (most kids will use their hands to add them up at this stage).
- They then look for the number sum with the matching puzzle piece and build their puzzle.
- I use play dough in this step: have the kids pretend that the balls they will make are ‘butterflies’ and they have to build their equation on the mat.
- You can use the mat as a stand alone and write the numbers below and have the kids building their equations with play dough that way too!
This is such a fun, hands on math game for kindergartners that helps achieve fluency while having FUN!
- Printable Addition Tic Tac Toe Math Game
- Gumball Math – Addition and Subtraction Practice
- 100 Epic Addition Activities
- Watermelon Addition Within 10 activity
- Printable Number Bonds Games
- Fall Addition Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Sleeping Beauty Color by Addition Math Worksheets
- Crack the Code Worksheet – Addition Practice
- Hands-on Goldfish Addition Practice
- Pot of Gold Addition Practice
- Rubber Duckie Kindergarten Math activity
- Planting Seeds Free Addition Games
- Free Printable Pumpkin Sum Game
- Math Addition Worksheets Mini Book – Adding 0-12
- Deck of Cards Free Addition Worksheets
- Disney Princess Flashcards – Addition
- Free Addition within 10 Games Printable
- Apple Addition Coloring Pages
- Free Frog Math – Addition Game for Kids
Butterfly Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun butterfly activities, butterfly crafts, and butterfly printables to add to your day or butterfly theme? Try these:
- Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheet Pack for kids
- Life Cycle of a Butterfly Worksheet and Observation Book
- Butterfly Math – addition mats for pre-k and kindergarteners
- Free Rhyming Activities – Butterfly Puzzles
- 29 Pretty Butterfly Crafts for Kids
- Butterfly Math – Missing Addend Activity for Kindergarten
- Addition Butterfly Math Puzzles
- B is for Butterfly activities for toddler and preschoolers
- Butterfly Subtraction for Kindergarten
- Pop-up Butterfly Craft
Spring Crafts for Kids
- Super cute Printable Name Flower Craft
- Simple Windsock Craft for kids
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Rainy Day Crafts for Kids
- EASY ink pad spring crafts for toddlers
- EDIBLE, Peeps Playdough Recipe
- Fun-to-Make and lovely painted flower craft preschool
- Make your own yummy milk Rainbow Toast
- This spin art Flower Craft for kids is almost as beautiful as they are fun to make
- Simple Sunflower Crafts that are bright, cheery, and simple to make
- This flower activity for preschoolers changes things up to use flowers to create art
- Plant a Number Line to 10 Math activity for pre-k and kindergarten
- Show off these pretty flower suncatcher craft
- 100 Flower Crafts from A to Z
- Umbrella Handprint Craft
- Silly Grass Head Craft
- Handprint Spring flower art projects
- Rainbow Hand Art Projects for St Patricks Day
- Looking for more fun color activities for kids don’t miss these 37 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Super clever, bubble wrap rain craft
- Wow! Over 100 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Dandelion flower craft project
- Stunning, Easy Stained Glass Art for Kids
- Kids will go nuts over this painting with cars rainbow project
- Amazing Bubble Painting process art project for kids
Check out these outrageously FUN spring science experiments for kids:
- Beautiful Chromatography Flowers made with science!
- EASY Egg geode experiment for kids of all ages!
- Amazing Food Coloring Flower Experiment Worksheet where you can turn a flower into two seperate colors!
- Have you tried making butter experiment
- Colorful Jelly Bean Experiment exploring difusion and color matching with a simple activity for kids
- You’ve got to try this simple Color Changing Slime
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
- How Big is a Raindrop – try this raindrop experiment to find out!
- Egg Drop Challenge with marshmallows!
- You’ve got to try this Lego Balloon Car
- Make a popsicle stick catapult
- Colorful Polymer Chemistry Experiment
- MUST try capillary action experiment
- Lego DIY Zipline for your backyard
- How to Make a Weather Vane the EASY way
- Pop Rocks Experiment kids will LOVE!
Download Butterfly Addition Puzzles
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.