Practice missing addends with this fun find the missing addend clip cards for kindergarten and first grade students! This hands-on addition activity is such a fun way for kids to practice adding while having fun with butterfly printables for your spring theme. Siimply download missing addends game printable and you are ready to play and learn with this fun missing addends game!
It is almost that time of year again. The time of year when the sun starts warming the cold ground. Trees and flowers begin to bloom, and the world of nature emerges around us. It is finally time to venture outside and enjoy the beauty. And today, I have a fun spring activity to get children working on missing addends. These adorable butterfly missing addend activities use no prep clip-cards to make practicing addition fun for kindergartners and grade 1 students. This missing addend game is perfect for parents, teachers, and homeschoolers to use as a spring activity for kids!
Missing Addend Worksheets
Find the Missing Addend
There are two different missing addend practice activities in this missing addends printable:
The first is the easy, no mess way.
- First, print off the cards on card stock paper and cut them out.
- You can laminate them for extra durability.
- Finally, gather up some clothes pins and markers and you are ready to go!
The second way is to add some fine motor skills to this activity. Instead of providing markers, use a hole punch and yellow paper to make lots of yellow dots. (See the messy part. If your kiddos are anything like mine, those dots will end up on the floor.) Then grab some glue sticks or squeezable glue for an extra hand strengthening exercise. You can also do this with yellow playdough balls too!
Now comes the addition games! Each clip card has a picture of a butterfly with dots on it. Under the picture is a number sentence with a missing addend. And we want our little ones to figure out that missing addend. And it is quite simple.
The first number in the number sentence is how many dots are already on the butterfly. Then we have the missing addend, and finally what the number sentence equals. That sum is very important. That tells us our next step. We want to add dots to the butterfly until we have the same amount of dots as the sum.
Addition games for kindergarten
With this card, there are two dots already on the butterfly, and we want to get to four. So I add two dots with my marker. The number of dots I added is the missing addend. 2 + 2 = 4
Math addition games
Now, I’ll try this one using my glue and precut holes. I started with five dots, but I need to get to seven. I can count while I add dots.
I glued on two dots, so that is my missing addend. 5 + 2 = 7
This hands-on approach is a great way for children to practice skills like counting on and taking the beginning steps to understanding algebra.
Butterfly Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun butterfly activities, butterfly crafts, and butterfly printables to add to your day or butterfly theme? Try these:
- Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheet Pack for kids
- Tissue Paper Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Cute Bowtie Pasta Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Gorgeous Shaving Cream Butterfly Craft
- Life Cycle of a Butterfly Worksheet and Observation Book
- Butterfly Math – addition mats for pre-k and kindergarteners
- Free Rhyming Activities – Butterfly Puzzles
- 29 Pretty Butterfly Crafts for Kids
- Butterfly Math – Missing Addend Activity for Kindergarten
- Addition Butterfly Math Puzzles
- B is for Butterfly activities for toddler and preschoolers
- Butterfly Subtraction for Kindergarten
- Pop-up Butterfly Craft
This is such a fun, hands on math game for kindergartners that helps achieve fluency while having FUN!
- Printable Addition Tic Tac Toe Math Game
- Gumball Math – Addition and Subtraction Practice
- Free Christmas Addition worksheets
- Fall Addition Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Sleeping Beauty Color by Addition Math Worksheets
- Hands-on Goldfish Addition Practice
- Pot of Gold Addition Practice
- Rubber Duckie Kindergarten Math activity
- Planting Seeds Free Addition Games
- Math Addition Worksheets Mini Book – Adding 0-12
- Deck of Cards Free Addition Worksheets
- Disney Princess Flashcards – Addition
- Free Addition within 10 Games Printable
- Turkey Addition Thanksgiving Math Worksheets
- Apple Addition Coloring Pages
- Free Frog Math – Addition Game for Kids
- St Patricks Day Addition Practice
- Gingerbread Addition Math Game
- Math Mystery Pack – Solve Addition & Subtraction Word Problems
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Missing addends game printable
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!