Your students will love finding the missing addends using these adorable spring butterflies.
It is almost that time of year again. The time of year when the sun starts warming the cold ground. Trees and flowers begin to bloom, and the world of nature emerges around us. It is finally time to venture outside and enjoy the beauty. And today, I have a fun spring activity to get children working on missing addends.
These adorable butterfly themed missing addend clip-cards are great addition practice for kindergarten and first grade kids.
There are two different ways you can do this activity.
The first is the easy, no mess way.
- First, print off the cards on card stock paper and cut them out.
- You can laminate them for extra durability.
- Finally, gather up some clothes pins and markers and you are ready to go!
But we can add some fine motor skills to this activity.
Instead of providing markers, use a hole punch and yellow paper to make lots of yellow dots. (See the messy part. If your kiddos are anything like mine, those dots will end up on the floor.) Then grab some glue sticks or squeezable glue for an extra hand strengthening exercise.
Butterfly Addition Practice
Now comes the learning.
Each clip card has a picture of a butterfly with dots on it. Under the picture is a number sentence with a missing addend. And we want our little ones to figure out that missing addend. And it is quite simple.
The first number in the number sentence is how many dots are already on the butterfly. Then we have the missing addend, and finally what the number sentence equals.
That sum is very important. That tells us our next step. We want to add dots to the butterfly until we have the same amount of dots as the sum.
With this card, there are two dots already on the butterfly, and we want to get to four.
So I add two dots with my marker.
The number of dots I added is the missing addend. 2 + 2 = 4
Now, I’ll try this one using my glue and precut holes. I started with five dots, but I need to get to seven. I can count while I add dots.
I glued on two dots, so that is my missing addend. 5 + 2 = 7
Butterfly Addition Games
This hands-on approach is a great way for children to practice skills like counting on and taking the beginning steps to understanding algebra.
Butterfly Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun butterfly activities, butterfly crafts, and butterfly printables to add to your day or butterfly theme? Try these:
- Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheet Pack for kids
- Tissue Paper Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Life Cycle of a Butterfly Worksheet and Observation Book
- Butterfly Math – addition mats for pre-k and kindergarteners
- Free Rhyming Activities – Butterfly Puzzles
- 29 Pretty Butterfly Crafts for Kids
- Butterfly Math – Missing Addend Activity for Kindergarten
- Addition Butterfly Math Puzzles
- B is for Butterfly activities for toddler and preschoolers
- Butterfly Subtraction for Kindergarten
- Pop-up Butterfly Craft
More Fun and FREE Early Math Activities
Click on the pictures above to see these fun, hands on math activitie!
Download Addition Clip Cards
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!