The end of summer is fast approaching, soon it will be time to go back to school, but there is still time to enjoy some of these fun August activities for kids! We have a month’s worth of fun august activities for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and toddlers too. From watermelon activities to sunflowe rprojects, bubbles, picnic ants, fresh berries, and even back to school activities – we’ve got you covered for a fun month!
August Activities For Kids
This fun list of August activities for kids includes sensory play ideas, learning activities, small world play, science and STEM activities, and even a couple of simple recipes you can make with your kids. These summer activities for kids are filled with lots of august kids activities including watermelon activities for preschoolers, toddlers, kindergarnters, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students. In addition we’ve added some back to school ideas, some delicious berry activities, and lots more great ideas and fun things to do. There are enough ideas and activities on this list that you can try something fun every day in August.
Nothing says summer like a big juicy watermelon cut into slices! But did you know there are tons of ways to play with watermelons too! From watermelon playdough to slime, watermelon science experiments, math geoboards and more – check it out!
- WOW! Exploding Watermelon Science Project – this is an EPIC activity to learn about potential and kinetic energy; plus it’s easy too!
- Alphabet Watermelon Activities for Preschoolers– super cute and fun way to help kids have fun making upper and lower case letters
- Easy Borax Free Watermelon Slime from Simple Everyday Mom. I just want to sink my hands into this cool looking slime!
- DIY Watermelon Squishy Toy from Buggy and Buddy. Did you know you could make your own squishies? How cool!
- Watermelon Seed Counting Activity for Kids from The Art Kit. This free printable pack is a great way to practice number skills.
- Watermelon Geoboard from Fun a Day What a fun, hands on, maths activity.
- Free Watermelon Printable Seed Counting Mats – use playdough to help practice counting from 1-20
- Frozen Watermelon and Strawberry Sorbet from Childhood 101. This is a delicious and healthy treat to make with your kids.
- Watermelon Sensory Bin from Fantastic Fun and Learning. This looks like so much fun!
- Easy Watermelon Cupcakes from Pintsized Treasures. Your kids will love making these brightly colored cupcakes.
- Free Watermelon Worksheets Preschool to color and practice counting while having fun
- Watermelon Soap Foam Sensory Play from And Next Comes L. This sensory play is so pink, and so messy, and so fun!
- Watermleon Activities for Preschoolers in a fun watermelon theme with 50 more fun and clever ideas!
- Beautiful Watermelon Suncatcher Craft for kids to make
- Free Watermelon Life Cycle Printable Spinner
- Count and Play Watermelon Seed Printable Playdough Mats
- Find the Letter Watermelon Worksheets
- Watermelon Printable Counting Activity for pre-k
- Free Watermelon Rhyming Word Worksheets
Back to School Activities
Get ready for back-to-school with these fun first day of school activities, printables, and ideas!
- Super CUTE First Day of School Sign Printable or these first day of school signs
- Back to School Bingo from Preschool Play and Learn. This is a fun way to celebrate back to school!
- Grab these First Day of School Coloring Pages to help get kids excited about the first day of school
- My First Week of School Printable Book from Fantastic Fun and Learning. This is a lovely way to capture those back to school memories.
- Easy to Make Back to School Cupcakes from Natural Beach Living. Celebrate back to school with these cute and clever cupcakes.
- PHonics Buses – Wheels on the Bus Activities for Kindergarten from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games are a fun way for kids to play and learn
- Back to School Paper Chain Countdown Calendar from Happy Hooligans. This is a super fun way to count the days till school goes back.
- I Spy Back to School Printable Games. This is a fun way for kids to work on visual discrimination while having FUN
- Back to School Slime Favours by I Heart Crafty Things for Fun365. This fun slime and printable tag would make a great little gift to celebrate back to school.
- Back to School Color by Number Worksheets are fun to color and reveal hidden pictures.
- Back to School Addition CLip Cards from The STEM Laboratory. These cute printable clip cards are a great way to practice addition facts.
- Printable First Day of Kindergarten Hat from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games. Kids will love coloring their very own hats to celebrate going back to school.
- Crack the Code Back to School Worksheets – simple addition and subtraction
- Suduko Back to School Game for Kids
- Free Back to School Worksheets Preschool
- First Day of Prek Printable Hat Craft
- Play this super cute, free printable Back to School BINGO
- Back to School Preschool Numbers Worksheets 1-10
- School BUs Back to School Activity for Preschoolers
- Glue Rhyming Puzzles First Day of Kindergarten Activities
- Pencil themed what comes next Number Activities for Kindergarten
- Color by Hundreds Chart Back to School Kindergarten Worksheets
- Blueberry Play Dough from The Craft Train. This play dough is coloured with real blueberries!
- Amazing No-cook Strawberry Playdough Recipe from Natural Beach Living. There is a secret ingredient in this playdough to make it smell like strawberries!
- Strawberry Scented Sensory Basket from The Imagination Tree. This is a gorgeous invitation to play.
- Practice rhyming with this fun Strawberry Rhyming Activity
- How to Extract Strawberry DNA from Little Bins for Little Hands. This is a super cool science experiment to try.
- How to Grow Strawberries in Containers from NurtureStore. Plant some strawberries with your kids!
- Counting Strawberry Activities is a fun, hands-on counting activity from Preschool Play and Learn
- Whole Wheat Strawberry Muffins from Super Healthy Kids. These look so delicious!
- Looking for a crafty activity? Try this Handprint Strawberry Craft
- Grab your blueberries and learn How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag. Kids will go nuts of this yummy and FUN kids activity perfect to make with fresh blueberries!
- Sunflower Sensory Bin from Life Over Cs This is such a bright and happy sensory bin.
- Sunflower Playdough Recipe and Printable Playdough Mat from Frogs Snails and Puppy Dog Tails. What a fun way to make sunflowers.
- Sunflower Activity counting seeds from 123 Homeschool 4 Me. This free printable makes practicing counting and number recognition easy and fun.
- Fine Motor Fun with Sunflowers from Teaching Two and Three Year olds. This is a great way to put those small muscles in the hands to work.
- Sensory Play with Corn Cobs and Sunflowers from Happy Hooligans. There are so many interesting textures to explore with this activity.
- Homemade Sunflower Seed Butter from Tess the Domestic Diva. This is great peanut butter substitute that you can make with your kids.
- Sunflower Life Cycle Mini Folding Coloring Book from Simple Fun for Kids. This printable mini book is a great way to learn about sunflowers.
- Simple paper plate sunflower craft for kids
- Free Life Cycle of a Sunflower Worksheets
- Letter Matching Sunflower Activity for Pre-k and kindergarten age children
- Homemade Bubble Solution for GIANT Bubbles with this recipe and tips
- Whisking Bubbles from Emma Owl This simple sensory play idea is perfect to try during the last days of summer.
- If the weather is hot you can always cool off indoors as your child reveals hidden pictures in theseFree Summer Color by Number Worksheet Pages
- Picnic Pretend Play from Fun with Mama. This is a simple but fun idea for pretend play perfect for a sunny day.
- Make your own Simple-to-Make Lego Zipline to sneak in some learning and a LOT of FUN
- Frozen Chalk is a great way to make your last summer days amazing!
- Alphabet Ants Letter Formation Activity from Life Over C’s. Such a fun, picnic themed, way to learn letters.
- Fisherman Number Bonds Activity from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games is a great way to sneak in a little math so your student is ready to go back to school.
- Park Bingo from Coffee and Carpool. This is such a cool idea, I can’t wait to try it!
- Sneak in some learning with this fun Flip Flop Summer Activity for Preschoolers and Kindergartners
- Don’t let summer finish before you try this epic 2 Ingredient Slime (you can even blow bubbles with this non-stick slime!)
- Head out on a Summer Scavenger Hunt with this free printable
- EPIC Lemon Volcano Science Experiment perfect for summer
If you’ve got kids who love art and crafts and you need even more August activity ideas to keep everyone busy, take a look at these fabulous August crafts for kids. There are lots different August themed art and craft ideas to try.
Keep everyone busy learning and playing all month long with these August activities for kids!
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment
- Kids will be amazed as you change colors of white flowers with this Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- Human Body Project
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
- Amazing, Heat Sensitive, Color Changing Slime
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Outrageously cool Bouncy Egg Experiment
- Rainbow Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Memorable Life Size Skeletal system science project – includes free printable template
- Lego Squishy Circuits Electricity Science Experiments for Kids
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids