The end of summer is fast approaching, soon it will be time to go back to school, but there is still time to enjoy some of these fun August activities for kids!
August Activities For Kids
This fun list of August activities for kids includes sensory play ideas, learning activities, small world play, science and STEM activities, and even a couple of simple recipes you can make with your kids. Celebrate the end of summer with lots of watermelon activities, some back to school ideas, some delicious berry activities, and lots more great ideas and fun things to do.
There are enough ideas and activities on this list that you can try something fun every day in August.
- WOW! Exploding Watermelon Science – this is an EPIC activity to learn about potential and kinetic energy; plus it’s easy too!
- Free Watermelon Alphabet Seed Mats super cute and fun way to help kids have fun making upper and lower case letters
- Easy Borax Free Watermelon Slime from Simple Everyday Mom. I just want to sink my hands into this cool looking slime!
- DIY Watermelon Squishy Toy from Buggy and Buddy. Did you know you could make your own squishies? How cool!
- Watermelon Seed Counting Activity for Kids from The Art Kit. This free printable pack is a great way to practice number skills.
- Watermelon Geoboard from Fun a Day What a fun, hands on, maths activity.
- Free Watermelon Seed Counting Mats – use playdough to help practice counting from 1-20
- Frozen Watermelon and Strawberry Sorbet from Childhood 101. This is a delicious and healthy treat to make with your kids.
- Watermelon Sensory Bin from Fantastic Fun and Learning. This looks like so much fun!
- Easy Watermelon Cupcakes from Pintsized Treasures. Your kids will love making these brightly colored cupcakes.
- Free Watermelon Seed Counting Book to color and practice counting while having fun
- Watermelon Soap Foam Sensory Play from And Next Comes L. This sensory play is so pink, and so messy, and so fun!
- Preschool Watermelon Theme with 50 more fun and clever ideas!
- Beautiful Suncatcher Watermelon Craft for kids to make
Back to School Activities
- Free Printable Back to School Bingo from Preschool Play and Learn. This is a fun way to celebrate back to school!
- Grab these Free Back to School Coloring Pages to help get kids excited about the first day of school
- My First Week of School Printable Book from Fantastic Fun and Learning. This is a lovely way to capture those back to school memories.
- Easy to Make Back to School Cupcakes from Natural Beach Living. Celebrate back to school with these cute and clever cupcakes.
- Phonics Buses from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games are a fun way for kids to play and learn
- Back to School Paper Chain Countdown Calendar from Happy Hooligans. This is a super fun way to count the days till school goes back.
- Printable Back to School I Spy Game. This is a fun way for kids to work on visual discrimination while having FUN
- Back to School Slime Favours by I Heart Crafty Things for Fun365. This fun slime and printable tag would make a great little gift to celebrate back to school.
- Free Back to School Color by Number Worksheets are fun to color and reveal hidden pictures.
- Back to School Addition CLip Cards from The STEM Laboratory. These cute printable clip cards are a great way to practice addition facts.
- 1st Day of Kindergarten Hats from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games. Kids will love coloring their very own hats to celebrate going back to school.
- Blueberry Play Dough from The Craft Train. This play dough is coloured with real blueberries!
- Amazing No-cook Strawberry Playdough Recipe from Natural Beach Living. There is a secret ingredient in this playdough to make it smell like strawberries!
- Strawberry Scented Sensory Basket from The Imagination Tree. This is a gorgeous invitation to play.
- Practice rhyming with this fun Strawberry Picking Rhyming Cards
- How to Extract Strawberry DNA from Little Bins for Little Hands. This is a super cool science experiment to try.
- How to Grow Strawberries in Containers from NurtureStore. Plant some strawberries with your kids!
- Strawberry Preschool Counting Activity is a fun, hands-on counting activity from Preschool Play and Learn
- Whole Wheat Strawberry Muffins from Super Healthy Kids. These look so delicious!
- Looking for a crafty activity? Try this Strawberry Handprint Craft for Kids
- Blueberry Ice Cream in a Bag. Kids will go nuts of this yummy and FUN kids activity perfect to make with fresh blueberries!
- Sunflower Sensory Bin from Life Over Cs This is such a bright and happy sensory bin.
- Sunflower Playdough Recipe and Printable Playdough Mat from Frogs Snails and Puppy Dog Tails. What a fun way to make sunflowers.
- Sunflower Seed Counting Activity from 123 Homeschool 4 Me. This free printable makes practicing counting and number recognition easy and fun.
- Fine Motor Fun with Sunflowers from Teaching Two and Three Year olds. This is a great way to put those small muscles in the hands to work.
- Sensory Play with Corn Cobs and Sunflowers from Happy Hooligans. There are so many interesting textures to explore with this activity.
- Homemade Sunflower Seed Butter from Tess the Domestic Diva. This is great peanut butter substitute that you can make with your kids.
- Sunflower Life Cycle Mini Folding Coloring Book from Simple Fun for Kids. This printable mini book is a great way to learn about sunflowers.
- Blow GIANT Bubbles with this recipe and tips
- Whisking Bubbles from Emma Owl This simple sensory play idea is perfect to try during the last days of summer.
- If the weather is hot you can always cool off indoors as your child reveals hidden pictures in these Free Summer Color by Number Worksheets
- Picnic Pretend Play from Fun with Mama. This is a simple but fun idea for pretend play perfect for a sunny day.
- Make your own DIY Lego Zipline to sneak in some learning and a LOT of FUN
- Frozen Chalk Paint is a great way to make your last summer days amazing!
- Alphabet Ants Letter Formation Activity from Life Over C’s. Such a fun, picnic themed, way to learn letters.
- Fisherman Number Bonds Activity from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games is a great way to sneak in a little math so your student is ready to go back to school.
- Park Bingo from Coffee and Carpool. This is such a cool idea, I can’t wait to try it!
- Sneak in some learning with this fun Flip Flop Summer Alphabet Matching activity
- Don’t let summer finish before you try this epic 2 Ingredient WOW Slime (you can even blow bubbles with this non-stick slime!)
If you’ve got kids who love art and crafts and you need even more August activity ideas to keep everyone busy, take a look at these fabulous August crafts for kids. There are lots different August themed art and craft ideas to try.
Keep everyone busy learning and playing all month long with these August activities for kids!