Have you ever heard of a lemon volcano? Kids are going to love this fun, creative,volcano experiment that screams summer! This simple lemon volcano experiment is perfect for curious kids from toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd graders too. All you need are a few simple materials to make some amazing erupting lemon volcanos!
Lemon volcano experiment
This science project is perfect to use up lemons after you’ve made a battery lemon! And I love reusing supplies! So we took our basic baking soda and vinegar reaction we use to make the fun chemical reaction to errupts volcano experiments and moved it into a lemon. This lemon volcano is such a fun summer science experiment that takes a fun summer fruit and turns it into a summer science activity for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students. Plus, this lemon volcano scienc experiment is quick, easy, and WAY COOL!
Volcano experiment for kids
All you need are a few simple materials to make this fun exploding volcano project for summer:
- craft stick
- cutting board
- liquid food coloring
- dish soap
- baking soda
Lemon volcano experiment worksheet
Start by rolling your lemons to get the juice loosened up. Now cut off the top third and discard. Poke around the inside of the lemon with a craft stick to get those juices flowing. Set as many lemons as you want to errupt on a large tray or plate. If they don’t stand up, make sure to slice just a little off the bottom so they are nice and steady.
Lemon Science Experiment
Add a several drops of food coloring to each lemon. We like to mix it up so the erruption will make lots of pretty colors that will mingle with one another on the tray. So red, orange, blue, purple, teal, pink, etc. And of course we need a yellow – this is a yellow lemon experiment!
Now add in a good squirt of dish soap. We used clear dish soap so as not to affect the color.
Finally dump a heaping tablespoon of baking soda on the opening of each lemon.
Lemon volcano experiment questions
The lemons will start fizzing a little as the baking soda and lemon juice react chemically, but to really get these summer volcanos rocking and rolling take your craft stick and poke around to mix it all up some more. Sit back and watch as the colorful erupting lemons do their thing and delight your young scientists.
Lemon volcano experiment explanation
If you are familiar with the classic volcanos science experiment you are probably wondering – where’s the vinegar? Well, this experiment shows kids a chemistry reaction between an acid and a base which results in the release of Carbon Dioxide (also known as CO2). In this lemon experiment the lemon juice (which is filled with citric acid) served as the acid so we had no need for vinegar! So if the acid is lemon and the base is baking soda, why did we have soap in there? Glad you asked. The dish soap helps capture the gas that is released in the chemical reaction so we can see it as bubbles. And just in case you want to see the chemical equation – here you go!
Lemon volcano science experiment
H3C6H5O7 (aq) + 3NaHCO3 (s) → 3CO2 (g) + 3H2O (l) + Na3C6H5O7 (aq)
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Volcano Watermelon Experiment – Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- Amazing Lemon Volcano Science Experiment for Kids
- Scented, Watermelon Playdough Recipe for summer
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- Amazing Tin Foil Art Project for Kids of all Ages
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids
Fruit Activities for Kids
Looking for more fruit printable activities? You may want to check these out:
- Free Printable ABC Fruits and Vegetables Book for Kids to color and learn
- I Spy Fruits Worksheet for Preschool
- 🍉 Sneak in some fruit science with this watermelon volcano, play with puffy watermelon slime reicpe, or see all our watermelon activities
- 🍋 Amazing Lemon Volcano Experiment for Kids or lemonade TEn Frames Kindergarten
- 🍎 Sorting Apples Alphabet Activity or this Apple Counting Mat for Fall
- 🍏 Apple Life Cycle Worksheets or make this simple Paper Plate Apple Core Craft
- Count to 20 Clip Card Fruit Printables
- 🍇 How to make Grape Jam Sequencing Cards or PB&J Coloring Pages
- Fruit Cards or Fruit Paper Activity
- 🍓 Strawberry Playdough Fruit Activity
- 🍓 Cute Handprint Strawberry Craft or printable Rhyming Strawberry Activity
- 💙 Hands-on Blueberry Math
- Dancing Raisins – EASY chemistry experiment for kids
- 🥥 Coconut Number Tracing Fruit Printables
- 🍅 Simple Tomato Battery Fruit Science Experiment
- Math Fruit Worksheet Preschool
- A-Z Vegetable and Fruit Printables for practicing lowercase letters
- 🍌Banana Number Puzzles
Just starting homeschooling my daughter in kindergarten