Practice reading oo words with this fun spin and color activity. Kids will work on identifying and reading oo sound words with this coloring phonics activity. Simply print the oo sound worksheets with a fun fall theme to practice long o words with kindergarten and first grade students.
oo Sound Words
English is confusing! Especially for our little kiddos who are struggling to figure out all the rules. And this one is just as hard. The vowel team /oo/ is a crazy one. It makes two sounds, and there is no rhyme or reason to why they make the sound they do. In fact, when teaching the /oo/ sound, you almost have to teach both of them. That way if they try one sound, and it doesn’t make a word they know, then they can try the other sound.
But today, we are going to focus on just one of the sounds. And this simple spin and color activity is a great way to practice reading oo words. All you need are the oo words worksheet and the included pritnable spinner to read and color oo sound words with your kindergartners and garde 1 students.
oo Words Worksheet
The sound we are working on today is called the long u sound because you can almost hear the long u sound in it. Think about seeing or touching something gross and saying, “Ewwww.” That is the long u sound made by /oo/ in words like zoo and boo. And in fact, is the most common.
Unfortunately, /oo/ also makes the short u sound. Think about words like mud and fun, and you can hear the similarity of the vowel sound in words like food and roof. It isn’t exact but may give children a reference when trying out the different sounds.
oo Sound Worksheets
In only a few minutes, you will be ready to practice reading /oo/ words.
- First print off the pages you need. I highly recommend printing the spinners on card stock paper. (Pages 2 and 3 are the coloring pages that go with the spinner of page 4.)
- Next use a paper clip and pencil to make a spinner. Or you can purchase ones from Amazon.
- Finally, gather up crayons or colored pencils, and you are ready to go.
Long oo sound worksheets
Now it is time to read those /oo/ words.
The first couple of pages are your basic one-syllable words. Your little ones will spin the spinner and read words like pool, room, school, and shoot. Once they have read the word on the spinner, they should find the words on the paper, read it again, and then color it in. Once all the words are colored in, then they can color in the rest of the picture.
The last two spinners, add a little bit of a challenge. They are two-syllable words. If you are doing these pages with your kiddos, I highly suggest you let them practice reading the words on a whiteboard first. This way they can divide them up into syllables, and practice saying each syllable.
Long o Sound words
shampoo – sham is a closed-door syllable, and poo would be the vowel team syllable
raccoon – Now this is a fun one. You would think raccoon would be spelled with one c. But then the ra would be an open door syllable and make the long a sound. So you double the c, so that the first syllable is closed and the a makes the short sound. The second syllable, /coon/ is once again the vowel team.
Overall, it is a fun way to practice reading /oo/ words. And if your kiddo is still working on initial sounds, don’t miss these free Beginning Sounds Worksheets with Dauber Markers
Long o Vowel Teams
- Free printable ow sound sliders
- Race to the top ou sound words game
- Cut and paste oa and oe worksheets
- Color by phonics sound oo words for kids
- Phonics puzzles with vowel team oa
- Snowman Phonics Activity Reading oi sound Words
Long vowel sounds worksheets
Looking for more practice with the long a sound? Check out these free printables:
- Dot Marker Long a sound Worksheets
- PrintableLong Ai Words Game
- Long a Words Clip Cards
- Spelling Long A Sound Words Worksheet
- Identifying long and short vowel sounds worksheets pdf
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- See all our Vowels activities here
oo Sound Worksheets pdf
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.