These Long and Short Vowels worksheets are a handy, free printable worksheet set for kindergarten, first grade and 2nd grade students to practice differentiating between the different vowels sounds. These short vowel worksheets and long vowel worksheets are no prep and such an engaging way for children to work on this essential reading and spelling skill. Simply print the identifying long and short vowel sounds worksheets pdf for a hands-on way to practice soring short and long vowels.
Long and short vowels worksheets pdf
You can see the wheels spinning in his little head. Which sound do I use? Should I say the short sound…..or maybe this time I make the long sound. Vowels can be very tricky for young readers. The short vowels sound very close to each other, and sometimes they don’t follow the rules and make the sound they should. And just when beginning readers are finally getting good and reading those short vowels, we throw long vowels at them. Now those kiddos have to know that each vowel makes two sounds! And to make it even harder they have to learn when to use a short vowel versus a long vowel. These free long and short vowel sounds worksheets are a great way to help kids reinforce and review what they’ve learned about long vowels and short vowels with kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these handy short vowel worksheets that review short and long vowels
Identifying long and short vowel sounds worksheets pdf
long and short vowels worksheets
There are many rules for making a vowel a long vowel, or a vowel that says its name. One of those ways is to add an “e” to the end of a word that has a consonant, vowel, and then another consonant.
For example, let’s say I have the word pan. Because it is a CVC word the a is short. But if I were to add an “e” to the end of the word, I now have pane….as in a window pane. The vowel now says its name, and the “e” at the end of the word is silent.
This works on so many words, and children need to learn that when an that “e” is added the vowel changes to a long vowel.
And this is what this short and long vowel cut and paste activity focus on.
long and short vowel worksheets pdf
Tese short vowel sounds worksheets activity requires no perp. Simply, print off the worksheets. Then provide glue and scissors and you are ready to go.
free long and short vowel sounds worksheets
The long and short vowel sounds worksheets directions are very simple:
- The children cut out the pictures and the words.
- Next, they say the name for the picture and decide if the vowel is a short or long.
- When they figure it out they glue the picture under the correct section.
- Finally, they glue the words underneath the picture they represent. This is a great place to help children see how the “e” at the end of the word makes the vowel long.
Long and short vowel worksheets
Looking for more practice with the long vowel sound? Check out these printable long and short vowel sounds worksheets:
- Dot Marker Long a sound Worksheets
- PrintableLong Ai Words Game
- Long a Words Clip Cards
- Spelling Long A Sound Words Worksheet
- Identifying long and short vowel sounds worksheets pdf
long and short vowels
For more practice try these fun, hands-on vowel puzzles.
CVC word printables
Looking for more fun ways for kids to practice cvc words? You will love these FREE resoources
- Print these short o worksheets to cut-and-paste into a booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Short i cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short E CVC Words Booklet
- Short a CVC Word Book
- CVC Words Activity with bricks
- 25 Fun CVC Activities
- CVC Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- Cute Monster CVC Activity
- CVC Word Puzzles Free Printable
- Crack the Code CVC Words Printable
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
CVC worksheets for kindergarten
Don’t miss all our free printable worksheets for kindergarten and kindergarten activites with 300,000+ different ideas to make learning FUN! Or sneak in some seasonal kids activities to make the most of these precious early years! Have other children you are homeschooling? You will want to check out our pre k worksheets, first grade worksheets, and free alphabet printables. Plus find our history for kids and easy science experiments for kids or all our free printable worksheets for kids.
Cut and Paste Worksheets
Looking for more kid-favorite, free cut and paste worksheets? Check out these resources:
- Cut and Paste Short U Worksheets
- Cut and Paste Shape Worksheets
- Ice Cream Cut and Paste Worksheets to make a Sight Word Reader
- Flower word family cut and paste worksheets
- Trigraph Cut and Paste Worksheets
- ABC Order Farm Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Cut and Paste Alphabet Worksheets
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Long and Short Vowels Worksheets
- Acorn Cut and Paste Math Worksheets for 1st grade
- Money Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Free Cut and Paste Sentences
- Animal Classifications Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Free Alphabet Cut and Paste Worksheets with writing pracctice
Printable long and short vowel sounds worksheets
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.