Help kids practice discriminating between how the long a sound is spelled in words using these super cute, free printable, Long A Worksheet. Print the vowel coloring pages and have fun working on spelling and phonics with your first grade student.
Long A Words
As a child, I didn’t receive a ton of spelling instruction, and spelling has always been a struggle. And unfortunately, I didn’t spend a ton of time working on spelling words with my two older boys….and guess what. They aren’t great spellers either. I wish I had these Long A Worksheets to help me back then.
So as my twins are learning to read, we are working on spelling the words at the same time. And what I found, is that my little girl can actually read the words better when she has practiced spelling them first. Once school starts, it won’t be long till we jump into long vowels. And I want to make sure both my little man and little girl can spell them.
The tricky part with the “Long A” vowel is that it can be made with a couple of different ways. Well, not only do I want my twins to be able to read “long a” words, but I want them to learn how to spell them. So today is about knowing what words are spelled with “ay” vs “ai”.
Do a Dot Printables
You can use these long a vowel printables as a coloring pages where you color the images that spell the long a sound like the featured a, ai, or ay OR you can simply use them with do a dot markers (also known as do a dot markers, bingo daubers, or bingo markers) for a no prep phonics activity for grade 1.
Long A Worksheet
Before you begin this activity, it is important that your little ones have spelled the words out.
Here are some words they could work on: aid, ail, aim, bail, bait, braid, chain, claim, drain, fail, faint, frail, gain, hail, mail, nail, paid, pail, rain, tail, train, and wait.
Then jump over to the ay words like day, away, play, stay, gray, clay, pray, tray, sway, fray, pay, ray, jay, bay, say, and hay.
You could also have your child do the Long A worksheet where they add the “ay” or “ai” to the words provided.
Long Vowel Worksheets
Once you have done all that, it is time to see if your kiddos can find the words that are spelled with “ay” or “ai”. First, point to each picture on the sheet and say the word that describes the picture.
Next, have your child dot or color with crayons, markers, or colored pencils all the words that are spelled with the letters that are in the middle of the page. For example, if “ay” is on the page, they will want to dot or color pay, hay, stay, etc.
- Ay – say, hay, stay, play, sway, stray, pay, tray, clay, day (birthday)
- Ai – rain, pail, mail, brain, sail, paint, nail, chain, braid, tail
And that’s it. It is a simple way for your young ones to practice what words use “ai” vs “ay”.
Looking for more fun, clever spelling games and free spelling worksheets? You will love these resources:
- Short and Long Vowel Worskheets for hands-on Spelling Practice
- Connect 4 Spelling Practice Worksheets
- Fun, Secret Code Spelling Worskheet
- Consonant Cluster Spelling Practice
- Hands-on Spelling Practice with Mini Cups
- 25 spelling activities for kids
- Spelling with Legos activity for kids
- Kindergarten Spelling Words – add a vowel practice
- Sensory spelling activities
- 1st Grade Word Search– free printable with grade 1 spelling words
- Money Spelling Activity
- Free Kindergarten spelling words Printable
- Dart Gun spelling activity
- Jump and Spell – an outrageously FUN spelling activity
- Floss Rule Worksheet
- Spelling Long A Words Activity
- Lego Spelling Test for Kids Printables
- Free Spelling Dictionary
Looking for more blends activities for young learners? You will love these resources:
- Ending Blends Do a Dot Printables
- Ending Blends Worksheets
- Ch, Sh, Th Digraph Game
- L Blends Worksheets
- Floss Rule Worksheets
- S Blends Clip Cards
- Th Worksheets
- R Controlled Vowel Worksheets
- Plus, don’t miss all 300,000+ pages of our 1st grade worksheets and games!
Do a Dot Printables
- Alphabet Find a Letter Do a Dot Printables
- Fish Letter Find Do a Dot Printables
- Shape Do a Dot Printables
- Do a Dot Printables Calendar
- Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Do a Dot Printables
- Telling Time Tic-Tac-Toe Do a Dot Printables
- Cooking up Rhymes Do a Dot Printables
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Long A Printables
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to download their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!