Long vowels are tricky so kids need time and practice to gain confidence when they’re reading and writing. This Long Vowel Match Up activity is great for helping little ones think about how sounds work in words. They’ll get practice writing, too!
Some long vowels sound the same and this can be confusing! By putting the same sounds but alternate spellings on each page, children can clearly see the difference and perhaps think about why they are spelled differently.
For example, does it depend if the long vowel is in the middle of the word or at the end?
This is a great activity for 1st grade and 2nd grade students especially, but helpful for other grades depending on the individual student.
Matching Vowel Sounds
What you’ll need
- This printable (it comes in both color and black and white versions)
- Laminating sheets or plastic sleeves
- Dry erase markers
Print off the 5 long vowel mats, using colored paper if you’d like to brighten them up! Then laminate them or place them in plastic sleeves so the writing can be easily erased. Print off the small long vowel pictures and the 2 reference posters in either color or black and white. Then cut apart the pictures and store them in a small baggy.
Matching Vowel Sounds Worksheets
Choose a long vowel mat.
The long vowel is written in the top right hand corner so it’s clear.
Children then find the 6 pictures that match that vowel. They’re easy to find since the long vowel is written in the top corner of each picture.
They then need to decide which spelling suits each word and place the pictures in the boxes on the correct side of the mat.
Using dry erase markers , write each word at the bottom of the mat. Most of the pictures only require the children to sound out the beginning sound (onset) then add the ending sound (rime).
Some children will find this more difficult than others so they can complete the activity independently or make use of the reference posters to check their work or allow them to write even if they don’t know the correct spelling. When they’ve finished they can erase their writing with a tissue and try another mat!
Looking for more writing activities?
- Free Sentence Sticks
- Building Sentences – free worksheets kids will trace, color, write, and cut & paste
- Create Your Own Reader – children will cut & paste sight word sentences into story to create their own reader K-3rd grade
- S’more Sentence Game – free card game for kids to practice making complete sentences
- 500+ pages of Creative Writing Prompts – free printable writing prompts by month or topic to keep kids from K-4th grade writing
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? See more of our second grade worksheets plus our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!
Download FREE Long Vowel Match up
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.