Long vowels are tricky so kids need time and practice to gain confidence when they’re reading and writing. These cut and paste worksheets are a fun and handy way for first grade and 2nd grade students to improve their phonics skills as they sound out and spell long vowel words. Download and print the pdf file with the Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets for a literacy for helping young learners think about how sounds work in words. They’ll get practice writing, too!
Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
These handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets are a great way to teach phonics skills to grade 1 and grade 2 students. Some long vowels sound the same and this can be confusing! By putting the same sounds but alternate spellings on each page, children can clearly see the difference and perhaps think about why they are spelled differently.
For example, does it depend if the long vowel is in the middle of the word or at the end? Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – these free phonics worksheets allow children to practice the sounds letters make in words.
Matching vowel sounds worksheets
Matching Vowel Sounds
To complete the cut and paste worksheets to work on vowel sounds you will only need to
- print off the 5 long vowel mats, using colored paper if you’d like to brighten them up! Then laminate them or place them in plastic sleeves so the writing can be easily erased and repeated again and again in your homeschool or literacy center in your classroom.
- Print off the small long vowel pictures. Then cut apart the pictures and store them in a small baggy.
- Print handy 2 reference posters in either color or black and white.
Choose a long vowel mat. The long vowel is written in the top right hand corner so it’s clear.
Next, children then find the 6 pictures that match that vowel. They’re easy to find since the long vowel is written in the top corner of each picture.
They then need to decide which spelling suits each word and place the pictures in the boxes on the correct side of the mat.
Using dry erase markers , write each word at the bottom of the mat. Most of the pictures only require the children to sound out the beginning sound (onset) then add the ending sound (rime).
Some children will find this more difficult than others so they can complete the activity independently or make use of the reference posters to check their work or allow them to write even if they don’t know the correct spelling. When they’ve finished they can erase their writing with a tissue and try another mat!
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- See all our Vowels activities here
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Don’t miss all our free first grade worksheets and our other printable worksheets for prek-12th grade students.
Download FREE Long Vowel Match up
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.