Help first grade and 2nd grade students work on the long e sound as they learn to read and spell long ea words with these super cute, free robot printable puzzles! Simply print the pdf file with long vowel ea words for this hands-on phonics activity and vowel team activities for students!
Long E Sound
Sometimes when I read with my little kiddos, we are reading stories. Other times we focus on reading words with a certain rule. Now reading a list of words isn’t much fun. So I’m always looking for fun phonics activities and phonics printables to get her reading a list of words. And this time we decided some robot “ea” puzzles would be fun! As we continue to move forward and explore new reading rules like long e sounds, we have jumped headlong into vowel teams. And this week we are focusing on the long ea words. This long vowel EA words is perfect for grade 1 and grade 2 students to improve reading and spelling skills.
You’ve probably heard the saying, “When two vowels go a walkin, the first one does the talkin”. Well, this saying fits perfect for what we are working on this week. The generelsation is that when “e” and “a” are together, the two letters make the Long “e” sound.
Long ea Words
Exception to the “EA” Making the Long “e” Sound
Of course, we are talking about the English language, so there are some exceptions. Sometime “ea” actually make the short “e” sound. I know! Why would we do that??? But it is true.
Words like bread, health, spread, and read (pronounced like the color red) all make the short “e” sound. But don’t worry, today we are just focusing on making the long “e” sound. So you won’t see any of these crazy short “e” words with these puzzles.
But you little ones will get great practice reading long e words, with these fun “ea” puzzles.
Long Vowel Ea Words
With just a little cutting, these puzzles will be ready to go.
- First, print off the puzzles on card stock paper.
- Next, cut out the puzzles.
- Finally, sort the puzzles by color and you are ready to go.
Vowel Team Activities
Now, it is time to get reading. At first, my little girl, wanted to sound out both the “e” and the “a” and make both sounds. It took a lot of practice to help her remember that the “ea” make one sound….the long “e” one. But we kept working at it, and before long, that long e sound flowed out of her.
To also make it a little easier, I sorted the puzzles by color and only had her do one set of robots at a time. It kept it from being overwhelming, and we could so one set, take a break, and then do some more. Overall, the concentrated focus on reading words with “ea” helped her conquer these long “e” words.
Teaching vowel teams in first grade
The ea words included in this fun, hands-on phonic game include:
- TH Worksheets – re-usable activity to help kids work on th sounds
- Mitten Beginning Sounds Matching is a fun Winter Activities for Kindergarten –
- Spring activities Kindergarten for working on consonant blends with digraph blends
- Ending Blends nk Clip Cards Activity
- Robot Long E Sound Puzzles – “ea” Vowel Team Activities
- Ice Cream Themed Digraph kindergarten summer activities – sneak in some summer learning to improve reading skills with these cute, educational puzzles.
- Clip Cards are a fun Consonant blends activities – help kids learn to combine letters to make digraph sounds
- Spring Initial Blends Worksheets – super cute activity for helping kids master blends
- Graph a blends activities for 2nd graders – fun combination of math and language arts
- Color by blend worksheet – this is a fun way for kids to practice learning blends
- Consonant Blend Cluster Spelling Mats – hands on activity learning blends
- Kindergarten Word Families Sliders – help kids practice sounding out blends in words with this fun, transportation themed reading activity for early readers.
- Reading and Writing qu words Worksheets
- Cut-and-Paste Trigraphs Worksheets
- Color and Read Book with Trigraphs List for practicing trigraphs pr, squ, and str
- Free Readers to Color and Read MORE words from Trigraphs List
- thr words Playdough Mats
- Hot Cocoa Phonics makes fun winter activities for kindergarten
- Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets are a NO prep kindergarten worksheets to improve phonics skills.
- Christmas Phonics by making a Christmas trees by putting together words with the same beginning sounds.
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Lots of fun Chapter Books for 1st Graders wth free printable list
- Free Book Report Template to print and use with any book
- Long ee Words BINGO – Vowel Teams Game
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets make learning FUN!
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Free Sight Words Printable List
- 1st Grade Word Search Printable
- Free Printable 1st grade math worksheets to print and practice
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of FREE Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- Cut and Paste Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Telling Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE 250+ page Unit with activities, experiments, information, and Ocean Animal Worksheets
- Discover 16 amazing places around the world with these Country worksheets Study
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal printables with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Vowel Team Game
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
>> Robot “ea” Sound Puzzles <<