These handy th worksheets are a fun and easy easy way to teach children about /th/ words. The th words worksheet pages can be cut into strips to make it a reusable digraph activity or left as a th sound worksheets. Either way, the th worksheet will help kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students begin using phonics skills to listen for and read th words in sentences with this free printable to improve spelling and reading skills.
Practicing identifying the th sound in words will easy and fun with these engaging, free printable th worksheets. Simply read, identifying the words, and color the picture with the the sound. This is such a great addition to your phonics curriculum, reading program, or spelling activity for kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler- you will love this low prep th activity for aspiring readers. Use as extra practice, summer learning, literacy center in your classroom, or supplement to your homeschool phonics program.
th Words Worksheet
Voiced th words
Did you know that the letter ‘th’ actually makes two sounds? They do, and there are names for the two different sounds. The first “th” sound we are going to look at is called voiced.
Let’s try this experiment. Place your hand on your throat and say the following words:
Did you feel some vibration? That’s your voicebox, or larynx, making the “th”. When we use our larynx to the make the “th” sound it is called voiced.
Unvoiced TH Words
Now let’s try that experiment again. Place your hand on your throat and read out loud these words.
What did you notice? You probably noticed that you are still making the “th” sound by placing your tongue on your teeth, but that you did not feel any vibrations!
When our larynx is not used to make the “th” sound, this is called unvoiced.
Th Sound Worksheets
Why voiced and unvoiced “th” sounds?
If you have a struggling reader like I do, you will find that things don’t just come naturally. My oldest two could immediately sound out “th” words and apply the right sound. But now with a struggling reader, every concept most be taught. Our sweet little readers need to know what to do if the “th” sound they used doesn’t make a word they know.
It is important for them to understand that there is another option and they can try again with a different sound…..and this time get a word they know!
Now that we understand the difference in “th” sounds, it is time for our little ones to get some practice reading these words. And these “th” sentence strips are a perfect way to do this.
- First, print off the free th worksheets pages you want to use on card stock paper.
- Next, cut them out.
- Now punch a hole at the top left corner of the strips and place a ring in the hole.
- Finally, gather up some crayons or a type of marker.
TH Sound Worksheet
Now it is time to read the th worksheets pdf. Almost all the sentences use simple CVC (short vowel) words and easy sight words like “the” and “is”. They were purposely created this way so that our beginner readers can focus on reading “th” words.
The activity is simple. Have your child read the sentence and then cover up the picture that best matches what they read. There is a sentence that uses the word than in it.
For this example, ask the child which one is bigger and let them cover up that picture. Reading “th” words is a very important skill, and I hope this activity helps your little ones get in the practice that they need.
Looking for more blends activities for young learners? You will love these resources:
- Final Consonant Ending Blends Games
- Practice Consonant Blends with cute printable puzzles
- Slide and Read Blends Activity
- Beginning Blends Fall Activities for 1st Grade
- Blue Bird Sorting Blends Activity
- Read and Color Ending Blends Worksheets
- Mitten Initial Blends Winter Activities for 1st Grade
- Initial Blends Matching Game for kids
- Do a Dot Ending Blends Worksheet
- Ending Blends Bingo Dauber Worksheets
- Ch, Sh, Th Digraph Game
- Read and Clip Consonant Blends Activities
- Handy L Blends Worksheets with magenetic letters
- Graph a Blends Activities for 2nd graders
- Floss Rule Worksheets
- Free Printable Color by Blend Worksheet
- Ending S Blends Clip Cards
- Printable nk Ending Blends Clip Cards
- NG Words for Kids Game
- BIngo Dabber ng and nk worksheets
- Th Worksheets – Read th blends in sentences
- R Controlled Vowel Worksheets
- Free printable Blends Worksheets with dot markers
- See all of our blends activities here
- Cut-and-Paste Trigraphs Worksheets
- Color and Read Book with Trigraphs List for practicing trigraphs pr, squ, and str
- Free Readers to Color and Read MORE words from Trigraphs List
- thr words Playdough Mats
- Hot Cocoa Phonics makes fun winter activities for kindergarten
- Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets are a NO prep kindergarten worksheets to improve phonics skills.
- Christmas Phonics by making a Christmas trees by putting together words with the same beginning sounds.
- TH Worksheets – re-usable activity to help kids work on th sounds
- Mitten Beginning Sounds Matching is a fun Winter Activities for Kindergarten –
- Spring activities Kindergarten for working on consonant blends with digraph blends
- Ice Cream Themed Digraph kindergarten summer activities – sneak in some summer learning to improve reading skills with these cute, educational puzzles.
- Clip Cards are a fun Consonant blends activities – help kids learn to combine letters to make digraph sounds
- Spring Initial Blends Worksheets – super cute activity for helping kids master blends
- Graph a blends activities for 2nd graders – fun combination of math and language arts
- Color by blend worksheet – this is a fun way for kids to practice learning blends
- Consonant Blend Cluster Spelling Mats – hands on activity learning blends
- Kindergarten Word Families Sliders – help kids practice sounding out blends in words with this fun, transportation themed reading activity for early readers.
- Reading and Writing qu words Worksheets
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Lots of fun Chapter Books for 1st Graders wth free printable list
- Free Book Report Template to print and use with any book
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets make learning FUN!
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Free Sight Words Printable List
- 1st Grade Word Search Printable
- Free Printable 1st grade math worksheets to print and practice
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of FREE Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- Cut and Paste Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Telling Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE 250+ page Unit with activities, experiments, information, and Ocean Animal Worksheets
- Discover 16 amazing places around the world with these Country worksheets Study
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal printables with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
th Digraph Worksheets
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.