These handy th worksheets are a fun and easy easy way to teach children about the words. Kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students begin using phonics skills to listen for and read th words in sentences with this free printable activity for children working on spelling and reading skills.
Practicing identifying the th sound in words will easy and fun with these engaging, free printable th worksheets. Simply read, identifying the words, and color the picture with the the sound. This is such a great addition to your phonics curriculum, reading program, or spelling activity for kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler- you will love this low prep th activity for aspiring readers. Use as extra practice, summer learning, literacy center in your classroom, or supplement to your homeschool phonics program.
th sound worksheets
The “th” Sound
Did you know that the letter ‘th’ actually makes two sounds? They do, and there are names for the two different sounds.
Voiced Th Words
The first “th” sound we are going to look at is called voiced.
Let’s try this experiment. Place your hand on your throat and say the following words:
Did you feel some vibration? That’s your voicebox, or larynx, making the “th”. When we use our larynx to the make the “th” sound it is called voiced.
Unvoiced TH Words
Now let’s try that experiment again. Place your hand on your throat and read out loud these words.
What did you notice? You probably noticed that you are still making the “th” sound by placing your tongue on your teeth, but that you did not feel any vibrations!
When our larynx is not used to make the “th” sound, this is called unvoiced.
Th Words Worksheet
Why voiced and unvoiced “th” sounds?
If you have a struggling reader like I do, you will find that things don’t just come naturally. My oldest two could immediately sound out “th” words and apply the right sound. But now with a struggling reader, every concept most be taught. Our sweet little readers need to know what to do if the “th” sound they used doesn’t make a word they know.
It is important for them to understand that there is another option and they can try again with a different sound…..and this time get a word they know!
Now that we understand the difference in “th” sounds, it is time for our little ones to get some practice reading these words. And these “th” sentence strips are a perfect way to do this.
- First, print off the pages you want to use on card stock paper.
- Next, cut them out.
- Now punch a hole at the top left corner of the strips and place a ring in the hole.
- Finally, gather up some crayons or a type of marker.
TH Sound Worksheet
Now it is time to read. Almost all the sentences use simple CVC (short vowel) words and easy sight words like “the” and “is”. They were purposely created this way so that our beginner readers can focus on reading “th” words.
The activity is simple. Have your child read the sentence and then cover up the picture that best matches what they read. There is a sentence that uses the word than in it.
For this example, ask the child which one is bigger and let them cover up that picture. Reading “th” words is a very important skill, and I hope this activity helps your little ones get in the practice that they need.
Looking for more phonics activities for young learners? You will love these resources:
- Ending Blends Game
- Consonant Blends Clip Cards
- Ch, Sh, Th Digraph Game
- Consonant Cluster Spelling Mats
- Hershey Kiss Word Families
- L Blends Worksheets
- Floss Rule Worksheets
- Th Worksheets
- R Controlled Vowel Worksheets
- Spring Initial Blends Matching Game
- Short and Long Vowel Spelling Practice
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.