This FREE printable s blends activity is a fun way to help teaching children to read. Simply download the pdf file, read the words, and clip the answer.
Teaching children to read can be a challenge. While some kids seem to pick it up naturally, others need lots of support and direct teaching. Each new sound, or new blend must be taught. So today, we are giving our young readers a chance to learn, spell, and identify ending s blends.
We have lots of fun blend activities to make learning to read fun for students!
Print the cards in color on cardstock. Next, cut them out and laminate if you want to make it extra durable. This is particularly a good idea if you are using them in a classroom literacy center. These are handy whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler.
Clip cards require just a little prep, but then they can be used over and over again.
S Blend Words
Before handing your child the ending s blend clip cards, it is important that your little ones practice spelling them out with magnetic letters.
Begin by introducing a blend. Have your child practice saying it while they run there finger under the letters. And then add letters to the blend to make words or even nonsense words.
Here are some words you may want your kiddos to spell:
- sk blends – ask, desk, mask, tusk,
- sp blends – wasp, clasp, grasp, gasp
- st blends – cast, nest, fist, list
Ending S Blends Clip Cards:
Now it is time for the clip cards. The first few times you may want to sit down with your little one and say the name of the picture for them.
Then have them read through the words on the card. Some will be nonsense words but the focus is on the different s blends. SO even if it isn’t a real word or the correct word, they are getting the experience of reading “S” blends.
Once they read through all the words if they still can’t seem to clip the word, hide the clip card, have your little one spell the word. Then see if they can find the correct word on the card.
It is a simple activity, but there is so much reading involved, and will really help your child get used to the sounds the “S” blends make.
Looking for more phonics activities for young learners? You will love these resources:
- Ending Blends Game
- Ending Blends Worksheets
- Consonant Blends Clip Cards
- Ch, Sh, Th Digraph Game
- Consonant Cluster Spelling Mats
- Hershey Kiss Word Families
- L Blends Worksheets
- Floss Rule Worksheets
- Th Worksheets
- R Controlled Vowel Worksheets
- Spring Initial Blends Matching Game
- Short and Long Vowel Spelling Practice
Plus, don’t miss all 300,000+ pages of our 1st grade worksheets and games!
S Blend Activities
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to download their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!