Are you looking for a fun way for your first grade student to practice Ending Blends? This ending blends games is a fun phonics blends games to help improve reading and spelling skills. Simply download pdf file with final consonant blends games and you are ready to play and learn with a ending blends activities.
How does your child feel about practicing reading? Many times 1st graders will balk at reading words numerous times. But when you add it into a game, the attitude changes. I wanted my grade 1 student to work on reading ending blends, especially ending l lends, so I created this ending blends games. She happily read six words repeatedly, so she could move forward on the gameboard of this final consonant blends games. It was fun and accomplished my goal of working specifically on reading with an engaging ending blends activities!
Ending blends games
What is an Ending Blend?
In case you are unfamiliar, there are two different types of blend endings for words: digraphs and ending blends. An ending blend is two adjoining consonants, at the end of a word, that each make their own sound whereas a digraph has two letters that make just one sound – a final blends.
- DIGRAPH – An example of a digraph would be in the word “back”. The ck makes a single sound /k/
- ENDING BLEND – An example of an ending blend is in the word “lamp”. You make a sound for both ending letters mp. Say it out loud slowly and listen for both sounds. Make sense?
Final consonant blends games
Now that you’ve said the word out loud you can hear the difference, can’t you?! The word lamp is not an anomaly, there are many words in the English language that contain ending blends. (This is why we teach phonics to help children not only sound out words, but learn to spell too!) If you are trying to think of others, here are some other consonants that make ending blends in words:
–st, –sk, –sp, –nd, –nt, –nk, –mp, –rd, –ld, –lp, –rk, –lt, –lf, –pt, –ft, –ct
Final blends game
I love easy phonics games to prep, and this ending blends game is one of those. Print the sheets containing the board game and words. Place the words in large learning cubes (or draw them out of a hat if you prefer). Finally, gather up game pieces (my kiddos always go for Lego people, but mini erasers, math manipulatives, etc all work well too). Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love the extra practice this fun ending blends game gives you. This no prep phonics game is perfect for literacy centers, summer learning, extra practice, and more.
Ending blends activities
The game is quite simple, it just requires a little reading. If your child is like mine and does better when they have spent a lot of time spelling the words out first, please grab some magnetic letters or work through these digital cards first. I know doing this step first is a game-changer for my little girl, It is the difference between us successfully reading the words.
Once you know that your child is comfortable reading, you can jump into this game to get in some repetitive practice in a fun way.
The players begin by placing their game pieces on the blank space.
- Player one rolls the large cube and reads the word.
- They then move their game piece up the board until they come to that picture.
- Player two then takes their turn and follows the same routine.
- A player wins when they roll a wolf and can move to the last space on the board.
It’s that easy. Our little ones have fun playing a game while practicing reading ending blends.
Looking for more blends activities for young learners? You will love these resources:
- Final Consonant Ending Blends Games
- Practice Consonant Blends with cute printable puzzles
- Slide and Read Blends Activity
- Beginning Blends Fall Activities for 1st Grade
- Blue Bird Sorting Blends Activity
- Read and Color Ending Blends Worksheets
- Mitten Initial Blends Winter Activities for 1st Grade
- Initial Blends Matching Game for kids
- Do a Dot Ending Blends Worksheet
- Ending Blends Bingo Dauber Worksheets
- Ch, Sh, Th Digraph Game
- Read and Clip Consonant Blends Activities
- Handy L Blends Worksheets with magenetic letters
- Graph a Blends Activities for 2nd graders
- Floss Rule Worksheets
- Free Printable Color by Blend Worksheet
- Ending S Blends Clip Cards
- Printable nk Ending Blends Clip Cards
- NG Words for Kids Game
- BIngo Dabber ng and nk worksheets
- Th Worksheets – Read th blends in sentences
- R Controlled Vowel Worksheets
- Free printable Blends Worksheets with dot markers
- See all of our blends activities here
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
Grade 1 Activities
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Download Ending Blends Game
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to download their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!