Getting the hang of blends is important for young readers and these free Consonant Blends Puzzles can help! Perfect for Kindergarten and Grade 1 children, these puzzles encourage kids to listen closely to the beginning sounds they hear in each word. There are 36 different puzzles and they come in both color and black and white!
Teaching kids about blends helps them to develop the skill of segmentation, which is being able to split words into their individual speech sounds. This skill is very important for spelling. Here are some FREE printables for practicing digraphs, blends, trigraphs, word families, and more.
- Digraph Ice Cream Puzzles
- Digraph Games
- Blends Clip Cards
- Alphabet beginning sounds picture sort
- Blends Book
- Transportation Word Family Sliders
- Trigraph Readers
Consonant Blends Puzzles
What blends are included?
This list tells you all the digraphs and words that are included in this pack.
- CL: clock, clown, clap, cloud, clip, climb.
- FL: flower, flamingo, flat, floss, flashlight, flag.
- GL: globe, glass, glasses, glove, glue, glow.
- PL: planet, plane, plant, play, plug, plus.
- SL: sled, sling, slice, slip, slide, slow.
- SP: spoon, space, spaghetti, spin, spray, spill.
- BR: branch, broken, braids, bread, bride, bridge.
- CR: crow, crayon, crown, crab, cry, crack.
- DR: drink, dress, dragon, drum, draw, dream.
- TR: trampoline, truck, trash, tree house, trunk, trophy.
- SK: skate, ski, skirt, skateboard, skeleton, skip.
- SN: snail, sneeze, snap, snow, snake, sniff.
How to prepare
Download this pack (below) then print the color or black and white versions onto card and cut apart. If using black and white your kids might like to color them before cutting.
Using these blend puzzles
- Review blends with your child. Can they move smoothly from the first sound to the second sound in the blend?
- Look at the pictures and say the words – what are the beginning sounds?
- Put the puzzle pieces together by matching the beginning sounds.
- A word list is included in the download in case you’re not sure what words are meant by each picture!
Download Consonant Blends Puzzles
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.