Picking really good books that are really fun-to-read and at the right level can be difficult. But keeping kids engaged and excited to read is really important for early readers! We have found the best chapter Books for kids Series so once your child enjoys the book, you can easily grab the next books in the series! These chapter books for 1st graders, 2nd grade chapter book series, and chapter books for 3rd graders are sure to peak your students interests! Kids will love to read these kids chapter book series by themselves or have read aloud to them.
Chapter books for 1st graders
Once your children discover the love of reading they will want to read lots of books to not only satisfy their newfound interest, but to keep it growing to create a lifetime love of reading.
Sometimes it can be hard, really hard, to continually find great books for your kids to read. That is where best chapter books for 1st graders comes in. These 2nd grade chapter book series will keep your child’s interest book after book as they are already familiar with the characters while enjoying new story lines. These chapter books for 3rd graders also makes it very easy to just pick up the next book in a series to keep your kids reading all year and summer long!
The following list contains both childhood classic books as well as new well-loved series. They work great to read aloud with your K-3rd grade child or for confident readers in first grade, second grade, and thrid grade students to read by themselves. (Note: For a convenient list to to take with you to the library, don’t forget to grab the free printable bookmark below!)
Best chapter books for 1st graders
Here are some of the BEST chapter books in print. You can conveniently order them from Amazon using the links provided, so your child to read over and over to achieve fluency, OR print the convenient free printable book reading list at the bottom of the post. Simply print the pdf file for an easy way to get a fantastic chapter books for kids recommendations free from your local library.
1st grade chapter books
The following best chapter books for 1st graders are listed in no particular order; find a book that looks interesting and read it. If you like it there are many more in that book series for kids!
Henry Huggins by Beaverly Cleary. Kids will be delighted to read about the stories of Henry whose life is turned upside down when he meets a four legged friend.
Humphrey Series by Betty G. Birney. Follow the adventures of this much loved class pet. Humphrey is a clever hampster that will learn to read, write, and charm everyone he meets.
Boxcar Children by G. Warner. Follow the adventures of four closet-knit children in this series that has been capturing the hearts of readers since 1942.
Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary. Ramona is finally about to start Kindergarten, but things don’t always go as planned. Although not always ideally behaved, children tend to relate to this girl who is unapologetically herself.
Ready Freddy by Abby Klein. Kids can relate to the daily struggles for this 1st grade boy as he goes to school and has struggles just like you and I.
Magic Tree House Series by Mary Pope Osborne*. This series claims to be the #1 bestselling chapter book series of all time. I can see why; my children loved this series and couldn’t put down the books. Each book follows the adventures of Jack and Annie. These regular kids have at treehouse in their backyard that takes them to different places from medieval castle, ancient pyramids, and treasure-seeking pirates. This series really lets kids imaginations soar!
Magic School Bus Chapter Book Series by Anne Capec*. The Magic School Bus series is another favorite with my students. Join the zany teacher Miss Frizzle takes her class on some truly unique and amazing adventures! This book combines science and adventure for an educational book that is sure to delight your young reader!
A to Z Mysteries by Ron Roy*- This captivating book series helps kids solve a mystery. Each book from A to Z features a story with characters kids enjoy reading and suspense; your reader wont be able to put it down. My young reader loved the sketches throughout the book making it a great stepping stone up from picture books.
There are several editions of this so you can pick the one that resonates most with your family. Please note that there are a couple of titles we opted not ot read because our family doesn’t talk about Vampires for letter V. So you may want to just read over their book title to give you an idea of the subject matter.
First grade chapter books
Capital Mysteries by Ron Roy*. This series is by the author of the popular from A to Z Mysteries; it has a similar tone, but these early chapter book mystery series feature fun facts and famous sites from Washington, D.C! Each book in this wonderful series highlights one of the famous museums, buildings, or monuments from the Washington area and includes a map and a two-page fun fact spread with photographs.
Encyclopedia Brown by Donald J. Sobol*. I remember reading these books when I was a kid; Now my kids are gobbling up these fun books too. The main character is Leroy Brown, aka Encyclopedia Brown. This 10 year old detective, with an uncanny knack for trivia, solves mysteries for the neighborhood kids through his own detective agency. I love that the these mysteries about everyday things kids will experience like a missing bike. Plus I love that this boy wants to be like his Dad, a police officer. Your kids will love reading the clues and trying to figure out who did it; each book has ten mysteries to solve.
Who Was Biographies (lots of people by various authors including Who Was George Washington, Who was Milton Hirshey, Who was Princess Diana, Who is Bill Gates, etc.)*. This series has done a phenomenal job of making biographies of famous people from the past, and who are still living, interesting and engaging to young readers. Kids will enjoy reading about the background and what made the person famous in an easy-to-read format with some black and white illustrations throughout. We have also enjoyed that What Was Series from the same publisher that helps us learn about places we are headed on fieldtrips – What was the Alamo, What was the Holocaust, or What is Nasa for example. Both these series are fun to listen to on audible for car rides!
An Interactive History Adventure (choose your own history adventure)* This book series just may be my favorite series for young learners. Each book helps kids dive into a different historical even or period of history. Readers will make their way through the event by making choices that will affect what they read (choose your own adventure story). But these aren’t just made up stories – the choices kids make and stories they follow are based on actual people who lived through the even. So as you decide to head west on the Oregon Trail you begin reading (with actual pictures of historical artifacts) and then get to decide will you go by covered wagon or boat. Keep reading and now you will decide to follow the north trail or the straight west trail. No matter what the choices kids will learn about history along the way. My kids loved to go back and read the book again following different paths / choices the next time around!
Ballpark Mystery Series by David A. Kelly. These baseball whodunit books are a great way to get your little baseball enthusiast excited about reading!
2nd grade chapter book series
Nancy Clancy: Super Sleuth Series by Jane O’Connor. Did your daugther enjoy reading the bestselling Fancy Nancy picture books? If so she will love these mystery books where Nancy Clancy is a detective who helps her classmates.
Amelia Bedilia by Herman Parish. Kids will laugh out loud at Amerlia Bedelia’s literal-minded attitude. Join her as she earns money for a new bike, gets a dog, goes on a road trip, and so much more!
Frog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold Lobel* These classic Caldecott Honor books celebrate the power of friendship in five adventurous stories.
Christian Heroes Books by Janet Benge* I love helping my kids learn about missionaries who have taken the Word of God to the ends of the earth. There is no better hero or person for them to learn to immulate than those that have given so much to share the good news.
A Jigsaw Jones Mystery by James Preller. Jigsaw Jones is a 2nd grade Sleuth who will help solve problems like when a new kid moves into town and brings with him a mystery as big as his house! Reggie Armitage the III found a box with a list of codes and a golden skeleton key―but he has no idea what the key opens or how to crack the code.
Geronimo Stilton Series. These funny and adventurous stories are filled with engaging text to engage both reluctant and avid readers alike.
Chapter books for first graders
Hank the Cowdog Series by John R. Erickson. Follow the adventures of Hank the Cowdog, Head of Ranch Security. In the pictured book he investigates the murder of a chicken on his ranch.
Soccer Cats Series by Matt Christopher. If your child is a soccer fan, they will surely enjoy reading about Dewey London and Bundy Neel. These two boys are excited about the new summer soccer league, until they learn about the contest to be team captain.
The Baby Sitters Club by Ann M. Martin. There are several versions of these books and we prefer the older, classic stories. Need a babysitter? Call the baby sitters club! Thinking it will be boring, there is never a dull moment when you are part of the babysitters club.
Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown. Kids love the goofy situations and delightful stories in these Flat Stanley books! Even reluctant readers will enjoy these delightful tales. Stanley wakes up one morning after a bulletin board fell on him and now he is only half an inch thick! Kids will be amazed as Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he’s a hero.
The Hardy Boys Secret Files Series by Franklin W. Dixon. Kids will enjoy solving mysteries along with the Hardy Boys. Again, this classic sleuthing series has been around for decades, pick your edition based on your childs interests and reading level.
Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew by Carolyn Keene. I grew up reading Nancy Drew books. Your kids will also enjoy reading along as Nancy and her friends work on solving mysteries. Can you guess who solved it?
Chapter book series for 2nd graders
The Puppy Place Series by Ellen Miles* Does you dog love animals or dream of owning a dog. Kids will love reading about a family that fosters dogs and helps them find homes. Each book features a different story and a different type of dog.
My Weird School by Dan Gutman. If you have some kids who aren’t fans of school, this series may be just what you are looking for to get them excited about reading and school. Follow the zany adventures of the 3rd grade class in not-so-typical adventures.
Note: If your child is sensitive to reading books that say “hate” this is not a good fit for them. Personally, we don’t use strong words like that in our home so we didn’t like the series, but I know lots of close family friends that felt this series was just what they were looking for!
The Mystery on the Freedom Trail (and other in the series) by Carole Marsh*. I really enjoyed reading this series to my kids. These books incorporate likeable kid protaginists and a mystery to solve that incorporate history, geography, culture and cliffhanger chapters that will keep kids begging for more!
First of all, whether you stock up on books at your local library, have a robust home library, or not. You can still order books and have them conveninetly shipped to your house from Amazon. Wondering what should I read – we’ve got tons of great book recommendations for you! Click on the list you want to read and then you can conveninetly order from Amazon or print a book list to take to the library.
- 50 Books for Kindergarten Book List – books for Kindergarteners to read themselves
- Best Read aloud books for kindergarten
- 1st grade reading books pdf – 100 Books for 1st Graders to Read Themselves
- 20+ Fantastic First grade read alouds picture books
- Best First grade read aloud chapter books
- Top 25 Chapter books for 1st graders, 2nd graders, and 3rd graders
- Best 2nd Grade Reading List
- 2nd grade reading books pdf
- Printable 3rd grade reading list
- 4th Grade Reading List
- 5th grade reading List
- Historical fiction books for kids (arranged by time period)
- 25 Exciting Historical Fiction Books for 4th Graders
Free Printable Reading Logs
- Monthly Reading Log – this free printable has ‘traditional’ monthly themes
- Bookshelf Free Printable Reading Logs – super cute and fun for kids of all ages!
- Pencil Free Printable Reading Logs -print reading worksheet and color a pencil for each book you read
- Frozen Free Printable Reading Logs – kids will have fun tracking their reading and the books they’ve read with this motivating free printable for kids of all ages
- Princess Free Printable Reading Logs – students will have fun tracking their reading with these free printable reading logs
- Super Hero Free Printable Reading Logs – using a favorite theme of kids will encourage kids to read
- Cars Free Printable Book Logs – children will have fun tracking the books they’ve read with these clever free reading log
- Summer Free Printable Reading Logs – students will be motivated to read this summer with these ideas
- Reading Comprehension Bookmarks – this is a great tool for making sure kids are understanding what they are reading
- Reading Levels by Grade – how to pick the right books for every reading level and tons of printable book lists too
Worksheets for Grade 1
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf free
- Fun-to-Read Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- Free Printable 1st Grade Book Report template
- Kid favorite, FREE Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects!
- Sight Words Printable List
- First Grade Word Search
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets
- sh, ch, th word Digraph Games
- Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Cut and Paste L Blends Worksheets
- LOTS more free printable phonics worksheets and games
Free printable worksheets for 1st grade
Looking for even more grade 1 worksheets to review skills while having fun? Check out these resources:
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Bingo Shapes Game
- Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages
- Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
1st Grade Science
Dive into some outrageousl fun science with our hands-on experiments and first grade worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment
- 12 Hands-on Battery Experiment Ideas for Kids
- Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities plus other projects
- Phases of the Moon for Kids – worksheets, activities, Oreo moon phases, and more
- Weather Unit with worksheets and hands-on weather activities for kids
- Learn the planet names with this Solar System for Kids Lesson plus tons of other Solar System Project Ideas
Grade 1 Science
Plus don’t miss these worksheets for grade 1
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Dive into the amazing world of botany with this plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, expeirments, and free printables too!
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets
Free first grade worksheets
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables. Plus don’t miss all our fun, free, and immersive history lessons for kids and our other worksheet for grade 1
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts wor
ksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!
Book series for 2nd graders
To make it easies to pick out books at the library I made a printable from this list. Just pick the style you like and print that page. Fold in half and laminate for a convenient bookmark. Use a dry erase markers to cross off series you are finished with or your child didn’t particularly enjoy. You can also have your child note what book they are on in the series to make picking books up at the library a breeze!
Chapter books for 1st graders to read on their own
By using resources from my site you agree to the following
- This is for individual family or individual teacher use (please share this resource by directing them to this page)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)