Book reports are a great way for kids to recall what they’ve read, help with reading comprehension, and improve writing too. But not all kids enjoy filling out book report forms. Here are 26 creative, fun, and unique book report ideas. So if you are looking to make book reports more fun, you will love these clever creative book report ideas for kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students. Which book report projects will you try first?
Book Report Ideas
Book Reports are a great tool for helping kids learn how to summarize what they’ve read in a complete and concise manner. It helps them look for details like setting, characters, plot, and more. Plus they learn to list supporting reasons for what they like or didn’t like about the book. But let’s be honest, book report forms can get tedious and downright boring for students. These fun book report ideas allow kids to express creativity, plan their project, and work on visual presentations too. Use these creative book report ideas with kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students.
Whether you are a parent working on improving your child’s reading skills, a classroom teacher getting ready for back to school, or a homeschooler – we’ve got a book report project ideas for everyone!
Book project ideas
From dioramas to book jacket designs, book report t shirts to cereal box presentations, and posters to letters to authors – we have so many book report ideas for 3rd grade! These ideas are great for book report ideas for 5th grade and elementary age students.
- Make a diorama – these still my children’s favorite
- Create a book jacket – different than the original
- Kids will love making these book report t-shirts
- Present an oral book report – dress up as your favorite character
- Try creative cereal box book reports
- Make a poster – pretend your book is going to be made into a movie
- Write the author a letter – state why or why not you liked the book
- Illustrate and design a comic book
- Why not make a tasty book report (love the cake book report)
Creative book report ideas
Check out the clever book report mobile, timeline idea, magazine ad, game board, book report project or even a book report crossword puzzle – there are so many unique 3rd grade book report ideas! Pick a 4th grade book report ideas for the whole class to try or let everyone do their own unique projects based on their interests.
- Make a mobile – create your favorite scene
- Create a timeline – include the important topics
- Create a magazine ad for the book
- Make a board game
- Put together a Power Point Presentation
- Write a letter to a friend informing them why they should read the book
- Make a bookmark of your favorite chapter
- Make a crossword puzzle – let someone who’s read the book work the puzzle
- Make a memory game – use index card with vocabulary words
- Outline your favorite chapter
Book report project ideas
We have even more creative book reports from 4d trioramas to pizza book reports, book report flaps to lapbooks, sandwich book reports and more! Which ones of these 5th grade book report ideas is your favorite?
- Kids will love making these 4D Trioramas
- Interview someone who lived in the time of the setting or has experienced the plot
- Book report flaps would be a fun way for kids to recall the book events in order
- Make a True or False quiz – have someone take the quiz who has read the book
- Make a lapbook – use these templates
- Create a Poem
- Reading Comprehension Bookmarks (any book: fiction or non fiction)
- Pizza Book Report Idea
- Sandwich Book Report Idea
Book report for kids
Looking for other ways to help kids work on reading comprehension and summarizing a book they read? Try these free resources:
- Handy, book report template in the form of a bookmark (any book: fiction or non fiction)
- Free Printable Book Report Template for elementary age kids, works with any books
- Simple, one page Book Report Templates to ensure kids are understanding the main charaters, setting, and idea of what they are reading
- Super cute Pizza Book Report Idea with Free printable template!
- Book Report Template 3rd Grade and other elementary age kids – lots of free printable choices!
- Printable Sandwich Book Report allow kids to recall the main point, climax, characters, setting, and more in each delicious layer
- 26 more clever Book Report Ideas
- See if kids remember the moral of the story with these FREE Aesop Fables Worksheets
- While not book report, this Library Scavenger Hunt helps kids learn to navigate a library, the Dewey decimal system, book genres, and so much more with this pack of free printable scavenger hunts for kids!
- Bookshelf Reading Log printable pdf – to help encourage kids to read!
Book Recommendations for Kids
If you are looking for some book recommendations to help kids pick really great books they will love to read, don’t miss these book lists!