Do your kids love playing with play dough? I know mine do. That is one reason why I love incorporating playdough activities using playdoh mats into other aspects of our learning. So as we were learning what are the parts of a book I decided I’d make playdough mats to learn the parts of a book for kids. Simply print the parts of a book worksheet and set out some playdough to teach preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd graders the basic parts of a book.
Parts of a Book for Kids
Learning about parts of a book can start with preschoolers, but typically it is taught to Kindergartners and grade 1 students. This literacy activity is a fabulous back to school activity or part of your literacy book center or library resource. Use the parts of a book printable along with playdough to learn the different parts of a book while having fun! Playdough is not just a fun activity for kids. It is also a wonderful sensory activity for kids of all ages. Squeezing and manipulating the playdough helps kids not only calm down but experience the sensory aspects. This is also a great tool to help strengthen fine motor skills. Rolling playdough into a snake is a great way to help strengthen the muscles and dexterity of the fingers and hands that help kids learn to hold a pencil correctly or tie their shoes.
Parts of a book worksheet
Parts Of A Book
With this activity, multiple fascits are explored while learning about parts of a book. Creativity is encouraged with some of the playdough mats. It asks children to create a cover and illustrations with the playdough. This can be anything their heads can think up, there is no right or wrong.
Prewriting is also touched on. Some of the parts of book vocabulary are written in dotted letters so that children can either write them with a dry erase marker or create them with playdough.
We created these parts of a book worksheets to help kids of all ages learn to identifying the part of the book and the appropriate vocabulary for that part. Children can use crayons, markers, or colored pencils to colour the book. Then trace the name of the part – above the word spine is featured. Now use playdough to covere the part of the book this page is talking about.
Each of the pages are super cute and feature a different title with picture. Have kids read the different book titles in these worksheets.
Basic parts of a book
These words covered in this manner are:
- Page Number
- Contents (Table Of)
- Back Cover
Different parts of a book
If you prefer not to use playdough, these pages are also fabulous as color pages as well.
REview what you’ve learned by completing this Parts of a Book Worksheet page with word bank to remember the key terms.
Once you’ve learned the parts with the parts of a book poster, tracing pages to color, and the worksheet to remember what you’ve learned – children can use the book cover and open book pages to create their own book.
Parts of a book activity
Once you have the pages printed, you can choose to laminate them. This is great when using playdough so that the playdough doesn’t stick to the paper. If you don’t have access to a laminator, we like to use sheet protectors or dry erase pockets. Both of these are great for playdough or dry erase markers.
Book report for kids
Looking for other ways to help kids work on reading comprehension and summarizing a book they read? Try these free resources:
- Handy, book report template in the form of a bookmark (any book: fiction or non fiction)
- Free Printable Book Report Template for elementary age kids, works with any books
- Simple, one page Book Report Templates to ensure kids are understanding the main charaters, setting, and idea of what they are reading
- Super cute Pizza Book Report Idea with Free printable template!
- Book Report Template 3rd Grade and other elementary age kids – lots of free printable choices!
- Printable Sandwich Book Report allow kids to recall the main point, climax, characters, setting, and more in each delicious layer
- 26 more clever Book Report Ideas
- See if kids remember the moral of the story with these FREE Aesop Fables Worksheets
- While not book report, this Library Scavenger Hunt helps kids learn to navigate a library, the Dewey decimal system, book genres, and so much more with this pack of free printable scavenger hunts for kids!
- Bookshelf Reading Log printable pdf – to help encourage kids to read!
- Handy Book Report Worksheets for elementary age kids
- Parts of a Book Coloring Page
- Free Parts of a Book Worksheets
First of all, whether you stock up on books at your local library, have a robust home library, or not. You can still order books and have them conveninetly shipped to your house from Amazon. Wondering what should I read – we’ve got tons of great book recommendations for you! Click on the list you want to read and then you can conveninetly order from Amazon or print a book list to take to the library.
- 50 Books for Kindergarten Book List – books for Kindergarteners to read themselves
- Best Read aloud books for kindergarten
- 1st grade reading books pdf – 100 Books for 1st Graders to Read Themselves
- 20+ Fantastic First grade read alouds picture books
- Best First grade read aloud chapter books
- Top 25 Chapter books for 1st graders, 2nd graders, and 3rd graders
- Best 2nd Grade Reading List
- 2nd grade reading books pdf
- Printable 3rd grade reading list
- 4th Grade Reading List
- 5th grade reading List
- Historical fiction for kids (arranged by time period)
- 25 Exciting Historical Fiction Books for 4th Graders
Looking for more fun, free printable playdough mats? You will love these:
- Interactive Alphabet Playodugh Mats with finish the picture
- Simple Alphabet Playdough Mats with tracing lines
- Gumball Number Playdough Mats
- Fun Transportation Playdough mats (train, bus, rocket, airplane, boat, and more!)
- Free Shape Playdough Mats
- Preschool Shape Worksheets with playdoh
- Finish the scene Playdough Number Mats (featured above)
- Build a Playdough Birthday Cake Activity for Preschool
- Pet Animal Playdough mats (bird, turtle, fish, bunny, cat, lizzard, dog, snake, etc.)
- Free Printable Emotion Playdough mats
- Thanksgiving Playdough Mats featuring yummy thanksgiving favorite foods!
- Playdough Musical Activities for Kids
- Free Playdough Letter Mats
- Fall Playdough Mats (build a sunflower, leaf, acron, pumpkin, rake, hay, etc)
- Count to 10 Apple Playdough Mats
- FREE Ice Cream Pattern Printable
- Spider Math Activities for Preschoolers withPlay dogh
- Free Printable Human Body Playdough Mats
- Telling Time Activity with Playdough
- Grilling on a Ten Frame Summer Printable Playdough Mats
- Watermelon Seed Counting Playdough Mats
- Monster Shape Playdough Mats
- Uppercase Letter Tracing with playdough
- Birthday Cake Activity for Preschool Counting candles Playdough mats
- Sandcastle Activity Playdough Mat
- Over 100 Playdough Mats to print and play (plus more free printable playdough mats on our sister site)
Playdough Activities for Kids
Looking for some amazing playdough recipes to try? Check out these easy play doh recipes!
- Color Changing Playdough
- Kool Aid Playdough
- Incredible, Edible Ice Cream Play doh
- Quick, Edible Peeps Playdough
- Hot Chocolate playdough
- Easy 2 Ingredient Play Dough Recipe
- Simple Candy Corn Playdough – play and EAT!
- Super Soft Conditioner Playdough
What are the parts of a book
By using materials from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to grab their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
I cannot find the parts of the book play dough mats. Tried to find link but it is not there. Help please.