Help students learn to give a good summary of a book with this FREE printable book report template. This book report form is a great resource for parents, teachers, and homeschoolers of kindergarteners, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, and 5th grade children.
Why Book Reports?
Book Report Template
Book Report Form
We’ve been using my in depth book report I shared last year. But I decided we need some shorter to the point book reports that my kids could easily use more often as they were shorter and to the point. I find book reports do such a good job of helping them retain what they read, process what they read, and practice writing.
This book report form is great for Kindergarten, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students.
Free Book Report Template
Free Book Reports
There are two different styles of lines in the download to accommodate both younger elementary and middle school students. Both styles of the free book report include the following:
- Child’s Name
- Date book report written
- Book Title
- Book Author
- Rating – how good does your student thing the book was on a scale of 1-5 stars
- Genre – was it a biography, mystery, science fiction, poetry, nonfiction
- Plot – what is the main gist of the story
- Setting – where did the story take place (country, city, time period)
- Favorite Character – who did your child identify with most and why
- What is your students favorite part of the story and why?
- Draw or describer your favorite scene from the book
Book Report Idea
Looking for other ways to help kids work on reading comprehension and summarizing a book they read? Try these free resources:
- Handy Reading Comprehension Bookmarks (any book: fiction or non fiction)
- Book Report Template
- Book Report for Kids
- Pizza Book Report Idea
- Sandwich Book Report Idea
- 26 more clever Book Report Ideas
- Library Scavenger Hunt – help kids learn to navigate a library, the Dewey decimal system, book genres, and so much more with this pack of free printable scavenger hunts for kids!
- Bookshelf Reading Log – to help encourage kids to read!
Book Recommendations for Kids
If you are looking for some book recommendations to help kids pick really great books they will love to read, don’t miss these book lists!
- Kindergarten Book Lists
- First Grade Reading Books
- 2nd Grade Reading Books
- 3rd Grade Reading Books
- 1st-3rd Grade Chapter Book Series
- 4th Grade Reading Books
- Good Books for 5th Graders
- Historical Fiction Books for Kids (arranged chronologically)
Don’t miss all our free first grade worksheets and our other printable worksheets for prek-12th grade students. We have free printable math worksheets, english worksheets, history for kids, cool science experiments, and even fun activities for kids to go with every season and holiday throughout the year!
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (to use in a coop or classroom please purchase a classroom licensed edition here TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!