Help kids pick out fun and exciting books to read while taking an adventure through history with these Historical Fiction Books for 4th Graders. This list of over 25 historical fiction for 4th graders contains lots of fun, exciting stories for children to travel through history and experience living in Egypt, join John Smith, live in the Aztec Empire, live in a cabin in 1700s, and so many more great historical fiction children’s books.
Historical Fiction Books for 4th Graders
Historical fiction is one of the most fun ways to introduce kids to life in the past. By putting them in the shoes of people who lived back then, they are more likely to be engaged in the details and curious about how the characters’ lives differ from their own. This list of historical fiction books for 4th graders covers a wide range of historical periods, and offers exciting stories both real and imagined.
Historical Fiction for 4th Graders
Come take a peak at these engaging historical fiction books to read and learn thorugh history!
Ancient Egypt: An Interactive History Adventure by Heather Adamson is a choose your own ending book that allows the reader to explore life in ancient Egypt through 3 different storylines and 22 possible endings.
The Aztec Empire: An Interactive History Adventure by Elizabeth Raum explores life during the Aztec Empire for a young girl, a noble, and a Spanish page. Readers can choose between 3 storylines and 25 possible endings.
Blood on the River: James Town, 1607 by Elisa Carbone follows 12 year old Samuel Collier as he becomes a page for Captain John Smith and heads to the New World. But he soon learns that it isn’t what he expected.
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare tells the story of a 16 year old girl named Kit Tyler who arrives in colonial Connecticut and befriends a woman the other villagers believe to be a witch.
The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare follows a young boy named Matt in the 1700s who is left to protect his family’s cabin and befriends a young boy in the neighboring Beaver Clan.
Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham tells the story of Nathaniel Bowditch who grew up in Salem in the late 1700s and eventually wrote The American Practical Navigator.
Johnny Tremain by Esther Hoskins Forbes shares the story of 14 year old Johnny Tremain, an apprentice silversmith who begins working for the Sons of Liberty, and the events of the American Revolution that he finds himself involved in.
The Revolutionary War: An Interactive History Adventure by Elizabeth Raum offers readers a chance to explore the American Revolution through 3 different storylines and 16 possible endings.
My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier introduces readers to the American Revolution. A young boy named Tim Meeker finds himself torn between the Revolutionaries and his older brother, and the Redcoats and their father.
The Cabin Faced West by Jean Fritz follows a young girl named Ann Hamilton and her family as they move to the western frontier in Pennsylvania
Historical fiction books for kids
The Town that Fooled the British: A War of 1812 Story by Lisa Papp and Robert Papp shares the story of St. Michaels, Maryland during the War of 1812, when the small town figured out how to outsmart the British forces sailing up the Chesapeake River.
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (Scholastic Gold) by Avi follows 13 year old Charlotte as she sails home to Rhode Island from England in 1832 and finds herself caught in a battle between a captain and his mutinous crew.
Lyddie by Katherine Paterson explores the life of a young girl named Lyddie who travels to Lowell, Massachusetts to work in a textile mill and try to earn enough money to reunite her family.
Amos Fortune, Free Man by Elizabeth Yates follows Amos Fortune, a man sold into slavery as a fifteen year old boy, who spends his life dreaming of freedom and fighting for a chance to be a free man.
The Ballad of Lucy Whipple by Karen Cushman introduces readers to life in a California mining town through the eyes of a 12 year old girl named Lucy who is determined to find a way back home.
Historical fiction for kids
Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink and Trina Schart Hyman tells the story of 11 year old Caddie who lives with her family in Wisconsin in the mid 1800s. When Caddie’s family hosts a family from Boston, her mother hopes Caddie will learn some refinement from the visiting child.
Boston Jane: An Adventure by Jennifer L. Holm follows a young girl named Jane Peck who accepts a proposal and finds herself journeying to the untamed Washington Territory in 1855.
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson shares the adventures of Jim Hawkins, a young boy who goes on a voyage for buried treasure and finds himself in trouble with pirates.
Voyage on the Great Titanic (Dear America): The Diary of Margaret Ann Brady, R.M.S. Titanic, 1912 by Ellen Emerson White shows readers the tragedy of the Titanic through the diary entries of a young girl named Margaret Ann Brady, who is traveling to America to join her brother in Boston.
A Time For Courage: The Suffragette Diary of Kathleen Bowen, Washington, D.C. 1917 by Kathryn Lasky uses a diary format to put readers in the shoes of women fighting for the right to vote as part of the burgeoning Suffragette Movement.
Historical fiction children’s books
All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor introduces readers to a family with 5 young girls and their life in New York City before World War I begins.
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor follows a black family living in Mississippi during the Depression, as 9 year old Cassie learns about racism.
Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse introduces readers to life in Oklahoma in the 1930s and the results of the dust storms on family farms. The young girl at the center of the story is named Billie Jo, and she must learn to face the difficulties of farm life with a devastating injury.
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry explores the German occupation in Denmark through the eyes of a young girl named Annemarie whose family takes in her best friend and conceals her from the Nazis.
I Survived the Attacks of September 11th, 2001 by Lauren Tarshis and Scott Dawson shares the events of September 11th through the eyes of a young boy named Lucas who is visiting his uncle’s firehouse in NYC.
First of all, whether you stock up on books at your local library, have a robust home library, or not. You can still order books and have them conveninetly shipped to your house from Amazon. Wondering what should I read – we’ve got tons of great book recommendations for you! Click on the list you want to read and then you can conveninetly order from Amazon or print a book list to take to the library.
- 50 Books for Kindergarten Book List – books for Kindergarteners to read themselves
- Best Read aloud books for kindergarten
- 1st grade reading books pdf – 100 Books for 1st Graders to Read Themselves
- 20+ Fantastic First grade read alouds picture books
- Best First grade read aloud chapter books
- Top 25 Chapter books for 1st graders, 2nd graders, and 3rd graders
- Best 2nd Grade Reading List
- 2nd grade reading books pdf
- Printable 3rd grade reading list
- 4th Grade Reading List
- 5th grade reading List
- Historical fiction books for kids (arranged by time period)
Math Worksheets grade 4
- Math Checkers – Multiplication Games Printable
- Lego Printable Multiplication Flashcards
- Leapfrog Printable Multiplication Game
- Frog Fourth Grade Math Worksheets
- 4th Grade Math Worksheets to play Mad Minutes
- Place Value Games
- Pizza Fraction BINGO
- Pirate Reducing Fractions Game
- Hands-on Multiplication Puzzles are a fun way to learn to multiply
- Deck of Cards Free Printable Multiplication Worksheets
- Spin and Multiply Multi Digit Multiplication Games
- Hands-on Introduction to Multiplication with Equal Groups Multiplication
- Quick and easy Multiplication Booklet PDF make practicing more fun than worksheets for multiplication
- Knight’s Quest is a fun, Free Printable Division Games for kids!
- Printable division worksheets that turn into a clever Division mini book!
- Free Division Worksheets that use a deck of cards to practice dividing numbers
- Free DIVISION Printable Math Flash cards
- Baseball Themed Printable Division Game
4th Grade Science
- Cookie Jar Solid Liquid Gas Worksheet – States of MatterActivity
- 2 Hands-on Water Cycle Activities for Kids
- Water Cycle for Kids Printable Flip Book
- Lego Water Cycle Model
- Lego Electricity Experiments for Kids
- Solar System for Kids Lessons – worksheets, science projects, coloring pages, flip books, activities, and more!
- Animal Classification Worksheets or hands-on Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- Life Cycle Worksheets
- How to Make a Weather Vane
- Mind Blowing Magnetic Slime
- EPIC Magnet Experiments for Kids
- Minion Squishy Circuits
- Simple Light Bulb Experiment
Free 4th grade worksheets
earth and space; plants; the cycle of life; animals; electricity and magnetism; and motion and sound. … Students also often learn about these topics in relation to their location and where they live.
- Free Printable 4th Grade Reading List
- Lots of 4th Grade Worksheets
- Learn to use Dictionary with Dictionary Detectives!
- Solve it Parts of Speech Game
- Parts of Speech BINGO
- Doctor Contraction Matching Game
- Digraph Bingo
- Book Report Template
American History for Kids
- American Symbols for Kids Research Worksheets – these worksheets are for older elementary age children to reserach the sybol and fill in the spaces provided
- 50 States Worksheets – includes template where children will fill-in the following information: Capital, Chief Products, Brief History, Things to See, Weather Graph, Where is the state in the US?, Longitude & Latitude Map Skills Math Activity as you travel from state to state, Did you Know section, Population & Size Graphs, Map Work (including time zone activity), Plants & Animals, and more!
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages – full page coloring sheets with state map, state flag, state bird, state flower, major state landmarks, etc.
- Help kids learn to identify states by their shape and match the state name with the capital with this fun States and Capitals Matching Game
- Free President Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents with this fill-in-the-box research worksheets for elementary age students.
- Election Worksheets for Kids – How Americans elect a new president book to read, color, and learn plus reading comprehension worksheets too
- Native Americans for Kids – explore various tribes in this 5 lesson unit where you will create a free printable book, complete native americna worksheets, make PVC tent, totem poles, Indian fry bread, husk dolls, recreate an archeological dig with arrow heads, and more!
- Colonial America for Kids takes kids on a journey back to the first settlers in America – eat Gruel, make a Wattle & Daub house, create a tin lantern, write with a quill, make simple Johnny Cakes, make you own marbles, create traditional silhouette art projects, and more.
American Revolution Worksheets and activities for kids – In 4 units your students will learn what events lead up to the American Revolution and famous figures while making dragon pistols, roll their own cartridges, working spy cipher, cold feet activity.
- Westward Expanion for Kids – History comes alive as they learn about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, and more with printables and activities like making a covered wagon, homemade crackers, how to square dance, pan for gold, and make a railroad project.
- Civil War for Kids – We have recommendations for mapping and visiting famous battle sights nearby, printable civil war board game, make an informative emergent reader, create a flip book or people students should know, and complete some free printable Civil War worksheets.
- Rosa Parks Worksheets pdf – Free Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Titanic for Kids Reader to Color and Learn
- Decade Pennants – Printable US History Timeline in black and white or color
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- 1930s for Kids – Printable Book about the Golden age of Hollywood, Great Depression for Kids and more to read, color, and learn
- Life in the 1940s America for Kids Reader
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!
Leave a Reply