This fascinating week-long Zoo Theme will make a fun week of lessons for your toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th grade students! Learn all about zoos and zoo animals with these zoo themed learning ideas. We have zoo crafts, zoo activities, zoo math, zoo science, zoo social studies, zoo printables and so much more!
It’s easy to put together a fun and educational zoo theme with this list of the best zoo themed learning activities for preschoolers, kindergarteners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, and grade 5 students. Simply choose from the lists of zoo themed books, zoo themed crafts, zoo animal printables, and educational zoo animal activities to quickly and easily put together a fun theme that your kids will love.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love all these fun, educational zoo activities to make learning fun for elementary age children!
There are so many great zoo math activities and hands-on animal math printables that will fit with this fun zoo preschool theme.
- Zoo Animal Counting Book to color, trace, and read!
Kids will love this free printable zoo animals counting book.
- Telling Time to the Half Hour – The Zookeeper’s Schedule
This is a super fun way to learn time concepts.
- Zoo Themed Preschool Math Worksheets
These free printable worksheets focus on counting, adding and subtracting, and sequencing by attribute.
- Zoo Animals Color by Number Worksheets
Have fun practicing number recognition while revealing the animals in these free printable worksheets for kindergarten
- Zoo Themed Time Task Cards
This is another great printable to help learn about time.
- Gross Motor & Counting with 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo
This is a great, whole body, counting activity to match the book 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo.
- Zoo First to 20 and First to 50 Math Game
This printable math game will be the perfect addition to your zoo themed math activities.
- Preschool Zoo Printables
Help kids practice counting to 10 with animal cookies using this adorable zoo animal printable.
- Zoo Animals Cheerio Counting Printable
Preschoolers will have fun practicing counting and 1:1 correspondence with this fun free printable.
- Zoo Themed Area and Perimeter
This is a great zoo themed math activity that is perfect for older kids.
- Zoo Counting Clip Cards 1-10
These zoo counting clip cards are a great no-prep math activity.
- Practicing counting with these super cute, animal dot to dot printables
Zoo themed Language Arts Activities
Start your zoo unit study these fun language arts activities.
- Adorable, Zoo Animals Uppercase Letter Tracing printable
- ABC crafts from toilet paper rolls
Make a zoo animal for every letter of the alphabet.
- Literacy Zoo Snack Idea + Free Printable
Make this fun monkey snack after reading the book Zoo Day.
- Free Going to the Zoo Printable Book
Download this free printable interactive zoo book for emergent readers.
- Zoo Animals Beginning Sounds Clip Cards
Reinforce or teach initial sounds with these fun zoo animals clip cards.
- Alpha-Zoo Phonics Chart
These free printable animal alphabet flash cards are great for beginning learners.
- Free Printable Zoo Scavenger Hunts
There are 11 different scavenger hunts in this set, perfect for preschoolers through to 6th grade.
- Zoo Blends & Digraph Easy Reader Book
This printable zoo themed easy reader is a great match for a zoo themed unit.
- Zoo Animal Report Template
These free printable worksheets will help students of all ages make an animal report and will help them explore the zoo more in-depth.
- Many zoos have an aviary; learn about birds for preschoolers with this printable alphabet book
- Animal Antonyms Puzzles
Kids will have fun with these free printable silly animal cards as they learn about antonyms.
- Jungle Animal Writing Prompts
These animal writing prompts are the perfect activity to do after reading about or visiting the zoo.
- Arctic Animals Sight Words Game
Practice Primer Dolch sight words with this fun, free printable, Arctic Animals Sight Words Game.
- Alphabet Zoo Sensory Bin.
This is a great hands on activity to match zoo animals to each letter of the alphabet.
- Free printable animal alphabet letters
Use these free printable cards to practice writing and spelling animal names with magnetic letters
- Animal Alphabet Follow The Letter Mazes
There is a free printable zoo animal letter maze for every letter of the alphabet in this set.
- Animals ABC Connect the Dots activity for early learners
- Endangered Animals Free Printable Find the Letter Worksheets
Preschoolers and kindergartners will love working on visual discrimination and letter recognition skills with these free printable, worksheets.
- Nocturnal Animals Preschool Printable Alphabet book
Zoo Crafts for Kids
Kids of all ages will have fun making these zoo crafts for preschoolers.
- Check out more than 100 more zoo animal craft ideas
You’ll find a craft for just about every animal you can imagine on this list!
- Monkey Mask Craft
Your kids will love this cute monkey mask!
- Zoo Animals Made with Handprints
Turn your hand print art into a zoo full of animals!
- How to Make a Stick Animal
Follow these instructions to make a stick giraffe. What other animals can you make?
- Toilet Paper Roll Animal Crafts
Start saving cardboard tubes so you can make all of these cute animals.
- Recycled K Cup Lion Craft
This adorable lion craft is perfect for a zoo theme.
- Lion Footprint Craft
Here is another super cute Lion craft to try.
- Easy to Make: Paper Plate Lion
This is a fun and easy craft for kids to all ages.
- Paper Plate Lion’s Mane Scissor Skills
This is such a fun way to practice scissor skills.
- Cupcake Liner Zebra Craft
You only need a few basic art supplies to make this cute little Zebra.
- Zoo Themed Elephant Craft for Kids
Learn about about elephants, the Zoo & shapes with this fun craft.
- Monkey Finger Puppet
This adorable little monkey is fun to make and perfect for singing lots of animal songs or acting out stories.
- Paper Plat Snake Craft
Make this brightly colored snake after a visit to the reptile house at the zoo.
- Elephant Craft for Kids Using Crumpled Newspaper
This craft uses a really unique technique and is lots of fun for kids to make!
- Free Printable Animal Masks Templates
Make these fun masks and dress-up as your favorite zoo animal!
- Owl Paper Bag Puppet Craft
Are there owls or other birds at your local Zoo? This is a fun easy owl craft to make with the kids.
- Salt Painted Giraffe.
The free template makes this craft really easy to do, and you could adapt the idea for other zoo animals too.
- Paper Plate Hippopotamus.
Hippos are always a fun animal to see at the zoo, and a fun animal to make with this easy craft idea.
- Koala Masks
The kids will love making these adorable Aussie koala masks
- Super cute, Free Forest Animals Finger Puppets template (in color or black and white)
Zoo Science Activities
Add some of these fun zoo science activities for preschoolers to help kids of all ages get excited about science with fun zoo science experiments and projects.
- Animal Cookie with Real Animal Printable Animal Activities for Kids
- We’re Going to the Zoo study
Learn about classification, habitats, diets, and more with this unit study and lap book.
- Endangered Land animals 3-Part Cards
Use these printable cards to learn about endangered animals.
- Animal Home for Kids Clip it Cards
Match the animals to their homes with his cute free printable.
- Free Habitat Adventure Science Game
Older kids will love using this free printable to learn about he different major biomes and habitats animals live.
- Free Animal Report Template.
Learn about various animals, where they live, their habitat, classification, and more with this free printable set.
- Nocturnal and Diurnal Animals Sorting Activity
Learn about which animals are active during the day, and which are activity at night with this fun activity.
- Grow Animal Specimen Bottles
Use novelty grow animal toys for this super fun simple science experiment.
- Free Printable Habitat Game with gorgeous pictures of real animals!
- Zoo Themed STEM Activity
This is a great way to include some STEM challenges into your zoo themed learning unit.
- Zebra Slime
This fun black and white zebra slime is perfect for a zoo theme!
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free animal cootie catchers!
This is such a fun way to learn about animal classification!
- Animal Classification Worksheets
These free printable cut and paste activity is a great way for kids to practice and improve their knowledge of animals
- Silly Animal Puzzles and sorting Animal Habitats for kids
Have fun making some silly animal combinations with this free printable, then explore where the animals live.
- Free printable Biomes Coloring Pages
These coloring sheets are such a fun way to teach kids about biomes.
- Sort animal cookies into Animal Habitats for Kids with this delicious, free printable activity!
- Animal Habitats Kindergarten Worksheets with circle stickers or bingo daubers
Even preschoolers can begin learning about animal habitats with these free printable activity pages.
- Dive into these fascinating endangered animals worksheets
Zoo themed Social Studies
These fun zoo activities are perfect for helping kids learn more about their community and the world around them.
- Learn about Veterinarians who keep zoo animals healthy with these free community helpers coloring pages
- Learn about zoo keepers as you spin the wheel to match the jobs with this free community helpers printables
- Web Cam Zoo Keeping Project for Kids
You can learn about being a zoo keeper even if you can’t go to the zoo with this clever project idea.
- Printable Pretend Play Set: Zoo
This set is perfect for any child who wishes to be a zookeeper, or zoo vet!
- Montessori Animals for the Continents Activity
This is a great way to learn about which animals come from which continents.
- Zoo Cutlery Tray Small World.
Kids will love making their own zoo with playing with this imaginative play set up.
- Pretend Play Zookeeper Station
This an easy and fun way to learn about being a zookeeper.
- DIY Zoo Playdough Kit
Build your own little zoo out of playdough.
- Animal Charades for Kids
This is such a fun way to get the kids moving and using their imaginations.
- Spanish Zoo Animal Flashcards
Have fun learning the names of these zoo animals in Spanish!
Many zoos have an aquarium. Learn more about more in these ocean animals lesson.
These zoo themed activities are so much fun the kids won’t even realize they are learning!
- Printable Zoo Animal Matching Game
- Grab these super cute, Free printable Jungle Animal Coloring Pages
- Edible Zoo Small World
The kids will have lots of fun making their own edible zoo!
- Fun, hands-on Antarctica activities for kids with our epic snow dough and penguins!
- Zoo Yoga
This zoo animal yoga is Zoo yoga is fun for pre-k to elementary aged students.
- Lion Vegetable Tray
This veggie and hummus tray is the perfect zoo themed snack to make with your kids!
- Food for a Zoo Themed Birthday Party
These are some great ideas for easy to make zoo themed snacks.
- Penguin Ice Play
The kids will love this icy sensory play!
- Animal Walking Themed Gross Motor Dice
Get the kids moving like a zoo animal with this super fun, active, game.
- Marshmallow Penguins
This is a super cute sweat treat to make with your kids.
- Zoo Animals I SPY Worksheets
Keep the kids busy with this fun free printable activity working on visual discrimination as kids find and count animals.
- World Elephant Day Activities
Learn all about elephants with this list of activity ideas.
- Monkey Cupcakes
These cute little monkey cupcakes are easier to make than you think!
These packs allow students to practice math, literacy, and more with a common theme!
- Desert Preschool Printables
- Nocturnal Animals Free Printables
- HUGE Forest Animals Worksheet Pack
- Arctic Animals Worksheets
Zoo Theme Books For Kids
There are so many fun ways to use zoo themed books in your learning program. You can read a different book each day of the week, Monday through Friday, or read your favorite book (s) every day of the week.
Kids love repetition, so don’t worry about boring them!
Grab one or all of these excellent zoo themed books to study with your kids.
- I Want to Be a Zookeeper
This book gives young children a realistic view into the working day of a zoo keeper.
- Life-Size Zoo
The beautiful photography in this book shows animals at their actual size!
- Curious About Zoo Vets
This book shares the very busy “to do” list of zoo workers as they take care of their creatures large and small.
- Incredible Zoo
Kids will love learning about different kinds of zoo animals with this 3D sticker book
- The View At The Zoo
This is a funny book about a trip to the zoo with lovely illustrations.
- Dear Zoo
There are so many fun crafts and activities you can do to match this classic life the flap book
- Animal Strike at the Zoo. It’s True!
What happens when the lions and tigers and bears refuse to roar and prowl at the zoo? This is a fun story about an interesting trip to the zoo!
- 1, 2, 3 To The Zoo.
This lovely book combines counting and numbers with beautifully illustrated animals riding on a train to the zoo.
- Z Is for Zookeeper: A Zoo Alphabet
In this fun rhyming alphabet book each letter represents a different part of the zookeepers day.
- What Do You Do If You Work at the Zoo?
This book introduces young readers to the people who keep zoo animals safe, healthy, and happy.
- Life at the Zoo
Meet the creatures who live at the zoo, and the people who care for them, in this book filled with amazing photographs and information.
- My Heart Is Like a Zoo
All the animals in this book are made of heart shapes! There are so many lovely ways this book can be used for a zoo learning theme.
- Zoo Day
This lovely book is about a child’s first visit to the zoo.
- Plus don’t miss these 25 animal books for preschoolers
Whether you are planning a field trip to your local zoo, having a virtual zoo visit online, or if your kids just love animals, there are so many ways to learn with these great zoo themed activities and ideas.
Flower Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun-to-make flower crafts or activities using flowers? You will love these projects for April, May, June, and July!
- Suncatcher Flower Craft
- Painting with Flowers
- Spin Art Flower Craft
- Painted Flower Craft
- 100 Spring Crafts and Kids Activities
- Poppy Flower Craft
- Spring Flower Hand Art
- Simple Sun flower Craft
- Dying Flower Activity (you can even make a flower more than one color!)
Science for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments for kids – arranged by type of science
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on Science experiments with batteries
- 24 Epic Solar system science projects to try this week
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments the whole family will want to try
- Simple Galaxy science project
- Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane
- Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure science project
- Amazing POP rocks science experiment is one of our all-time favorite science experiments we like to do during the summer are
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers are so pretty you’ll forget it was as science project!
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- 30 Simple machines science projects kids will want to try
- Easy, fascinating, and colorful project answering Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment
- Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- 19 Edible science experiments – which delicious project will you try first?
- HUGE Free Solar System Unit (coloring pages, hands on science projects, worksheets, and more!)
- Pipe Cleaner Constellation Activity (As seen on Good Housekeeping!)
- Teach kids about conductivity with this fun squishy circuits projects
- Amazing, Heat Sensitive, Color Changing Slime
- Life Cycles for Kids (from penguin to sunflower and spider to turkey we have LOTS of life cycles to explore and learn about)
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment
- Kids will be amazed as you change colors of white flowers with this Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make
- Human Body Project
- Check out this super cool look INSIDE a Volcano Project
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Memorable Life Size Skeletal system science project – includes free printable template
- Find LOTS more Easy Science Experiments for kids of all ages!