As we continue our reading journey, we started reading two-syllable words. This week we get to continue working on reading two-syllable words but focus on the x sound with this fun letter x words printable activity. This first grade phonics activity helps grade 1 students practice reading as they learn the letter sound x. Simply download pdf file with letter x printables and you are ready to play and learn!
Letter X Words
While we focused on simple CVC words that ended in x, we also practiced reading two-syllable closed words that have started with the closed syllable “ex”. This fun, hands-on letter x activity is a great way for 1st grade students to learn letter x words while having fun. Children will read the x sound and match the in words and match them to the picture showing that letter x word. This is a fun phonics printable activity to help kids learn the tricky “ks” sound.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this simple, low prep activity. Use it at home, a literacy center in your classroom, or as a supplement to your homeschool reading curriculum.
Letter X Printables
Prep work just requires a little cutting.
- First, print off the puzzles on card stock.
- Next, cut them out and you are ready to go.
Reading Two-Syllable Words
We are just now getting into reading two-syllable words, so we are constantly focusing on how to “break” them apart. One way I have taught her is to first look for the vowels. Then, if there are two consonants between those vowels, that is where we “break” the word apart.
Then the word becomes much easier!!
Textile becomes “tex” and the “tile”. We know that when a vowel has a consonant after it, it is closed. And we say a short vowel. She also knows the magic e rule, and so the silent e makes the “I” say its name.
Extract becomes “ex” (closed, so short vowel) and “tract” (also closed, so short vowel again).
It is amazing how our little ones can read these two-syllable words with this strategy.
Letter x activity
As we began to tackle the list of the words my little girl is supposed to read this week, I was surprised at their difficulty. Of course, there are cute words like fox and box, but also words like textile and extract. I knew she wouldn’t know what these words meant, so I decided to create the puzzles where she could begin to associate the picture with these harder words.
But before I could let her tackle the puzzles, we had to have a vocabulary lesson. And here are a few words you may want to preview with your child too.
- Explodes – What explodes? That’s right, a volcano.
- Express – Trains that move really fast can be called express trains. Or remember the movie “The Polar Express”? It was about a train right? So for the word express, we are looking for a train.
- Textile – Textile is when the yarn is woven together to make cloth. Can you find a picture of the cloth?
- Extract – Do you see the vanilla cake? We use vanilla extract to make a vanilla cake. This is what vanilla extract may look like.
- Expect – Expect is what we think might happen. What do you expect is in the present under the tree?
- Tax – Tax is money we pay to the government.
- Complex – This means hard. Look at the hard math this little boy is doing!
- Extreme – When a sport is dangerous, we say it is extreme. Can you find a picture that shows an extreme sport?
These puzzles not only get our kiddos reading x words, but they get to learn some vocabulary words too.
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Reading x words
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
>> Download X word puzzles <<