As we continue our reading journey, we started reading two-syllable words. This week we get to continue working on reading two-syllable words but focus on the x sound with this fun letter x words printable activity. This first grade phonics activity helps grade 1 students practice reading as they learn the letter sound x. Simply print pdf file with letter x printables and you are ready to play and learn!
While we focused on simple CVC words that ended in x, we also practiced reading two-syllable closed words that have started with the closed syllable “ex”. This fun, hands-on letter x activity is a great way for 1st grade students to learn letter x words while having fun. Children will read the x sound and match the in words and match them to the picture showing that letter x word. This is a fun phonics printable activity to help kids learn the tricky “ks” sound.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this simple, low prep activity. Use it at home, a literacy center in your classroom, or as a supplement to your homeschool reading curriculum.
x sound words with pictures
x words for kids
Prep work just requires a little cutting.
- First, print off the puzzles on card stock.
- Next, cut them out and you are ready to go.
words with x
We are just now getting into reading two-syllable words, so we are constantly focusing on how to “break” them apart. One way I have taught her is to first look for the vowels. Then, if there are two consonants between those vowels, that is where we “break” the word apart.
Then the word becomes much easier!!
Textile becomes “tex” and the “tile”. We know that when a vowel has a consonant after it, it is closed. And we say a short vowel. She also knows the magic e rule, and so the silent e makes the “I” say its name.
Extract becomes “ex” (closed, so short vowel) and “tract” (also closed, so short vowel again).
It is amazing how our little ones can read these two-syllable words with this strategy.
x words list
As we began to tackle the list of the words my little girl is supposed to read this week, I was surprised at their difficulty. Of course, there are cute words like fox and box, but also words like textile and extract. I knew she wouldn’t know what these words meant, so I decided to create the puzzles where she could begin to associate the picture with these harder words.
But before I could let her tackle the puzzles, we had to have a vocabulary lesson. And here are a few words you may want to preview with your child too.
- Explodes – What explodes? That’s right, a volcano.
- Express – Trains that move really fast can be called express trains. Or remember the movie “The Polar Express”? It was about a train right? So for the word express, we are looking for a train.
- Textile – Textile is when the yarn is woven together to make cloth. Can you find a picture of the cloth?
- Extract – Do you see the vanilla cake? We use vanilla extract to make a vanilla cake. This is what vanilla extract may look like.
- Expect – Expect is what we think might happen. What do you expect is in the present under the tree?
- Tax – Tax is money we pay to the government.
- Complex – This means hard. Look at the hard math this little boy is doing!
- Extreme – When a sport is dangerous, we say it is extreme. Can you find a picture that shows an extreme sport?
words that have the letter x
These puzzles not only get our kiddos reading x words, but they get to learn some vocabulary words too.
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf free
- Fun-to-Read Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- Free Printable 1st Grade Book Report template
- Kid favorite, FREE Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects!
- Sight Words Printable List
- First Grade Word Search
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets
- sh, ch, th word Digraph Games
- Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Cut and Paste L Blends Worksheets
- LOTS more free printable phonics worksheets and games
1st Grade Math
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Printable Number Bond Games
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Bingo Shapes Game
- Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages
- Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
1st Grade Science
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment
- 12 Hands-on Battery Experiment Ideas for Kids
- Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities plus other projects
- Phases of the Moon for Kids – worksheets, activities, Oreo moon phases, and more
- Weather Unit with worksheets and hands-on weather activities for kids
- Learn the planet names with this Solar System for Kids Lesson plus tons of other Solar System Project Ideas
Grade 1 Science
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Dive into the amazing world of botany with this plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, expeirments, and free printables too!
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets
United States Lesson for Kids
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables. Plus don’t miss all our fun, free, and immersive history lessons for kids
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Reading x words
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
>> X word puzzles <<