Help kids work on phonics skills and mastering Ch Sh Th sounds with these FREE printable Digraph Games. This th games is a fun, easy-to-play phonics digraph activity to help kindergarten and first graders improve reading and spelling skills. Simply print the digraph game pdf file, print, and play the low prep, sh ch th Games that help kids learn to read!
My students have been working so hard on learning CVC words and short vowel words; they have become quite successful with this. Isn’t it a joy to teach your young ones and get to be apart of watching them learn to read? It is time to add some new sounds. We are now adding digraphs for kids to our short vowel words. This free digraph games is a fun way to learn and review ch sh th words and the sounds they make. Use this diagraph games with kindergartners and grade 1 students. Whethe you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love this digraph printable for making learning into a fun digraph activity.
I love printable educational games like this th digraph games that are easy to prepare and engaging so kids want to learn! This th digraph game is a fun way to improve phonics skills as children continue to decode words and improve reading skills!
- First, print off the sh ch th games including the gameboard and word cards. I recommend card stock paper as it will hold up better.
- Next, cut out the word cards and slide them into large learning cubes.
- Finally, gather up some game pieces or let your child choose their favorite LEGO Block character.
Now it is time for some reading with this ch digraph games. I decided to get in some movement with the game and had them gently toss the die across the room. Then they ran to the die, picked it up, and without moving the die, ran back with it.
Next, I asked them to read the word. My twin boy could quickly read it, but my twin girl needed a little support. Gently I would guide her fingers under each letter or diphthong and she would make the sounds. (Remember that the sh, ch, and th make one sound. Our little ones should not be making the s sound and then the h sound.)
Then, we quickly moved her finger under the whole word as she put all the sounds together.
Finally, they would move their game piece up until they landed on the word they had just read.
Digraphs for Kids
Just as a heads up, these digraphs sounds can be difficult to make for little ones that struggle with speech. I spoke to my daughter’s speech teacher regarding this, and she offered this advice.
Definitely practice making the sound correctly, but once they begin reading the words don’t harp on it. As hard as it can be, try not to worry too much if your child is mispronouncing the “th” in words while she reads aloud–UNLESS it is affecting their comprehension of the word. (ex: If they interpret “three” as “free”). If they are comprehending the word while they are reading it and reading it correctly in context then don’t worry too much about the mispronunciation of the sound or word itself.
Knowing that my little girl is working on these sounds in reading, her speech teacher is now incorporating them into her speech instruction time. And hopefully, in the near future, she will be reading and saying her digraph words beautifully with the help of this digraph games for kindergarten.
Digraph and Blends
As children progress in phonics they work on digraphs and blends. Digraphs are two consonants that make one sound such as /TH/ sys thumb. Consonant blends have two constonants that each still make their own sound such as . If you are looking for more blends for kids games, worksheets, and activities? Check out these resoures or see all our digraph activities or consonant activities.
- Spring Digraph Activity Puzzles
- Printable Digraph Game for working on sh, ch, th words
- Ice Cream Puzzles Digraph Game for summer learning
- Build-a-Digraph Puzzle – Digraph Activity
- Digraph BINGO Game
Mastered digraphs? Move on to trigraphs for kids! These words are 3 constonants that make one sound such at
- Trigraph Printables – color and read trigraphs
- Printable Trigraph Readers – set #2
- Trigraph Workhseets – cut and paste to learn trigraph words
- Bingo Dauber Trigraph Worksheets make learning fun
- THR Word Activity with playdough!
- Trigraph Phonics Blending Games
Consonant blends activities
Other Literacy Activities you may enjoy:
- Free Ending Blends Worksheets
- Spring Bee Initial Blends Game
- Consonant Blends Games (puzzles in color or black & white)
- Blue Bird Initial Blends Activity
- Read and Color Free Blends Worksheets
- Dab a Blend – Ending Blends Worksheets in First Grade
- Final Blends Game
- Hands-on L Blend Worksheets
- Graph a Blends Activity
- Final Consonant Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Mitten Initial Blend Puzzles – Winter activities for first grade
- Ending S Blends Activity
- L Blends Fun Pack, TH Blends Fun Pack, or R Blends Fun Pack
- Leaf Puzzle Blends – fall activities for first grade
- Th Worksheets – reading the words in sentences
- Color by Blend Worksheet
- Clip Card Consonant Blends Activities
- Find and Dot Ending Blends Activities
- Reading phonics blends
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!