1-1-1 RuleThe 1-1-1 Rule is a fantastic spelling rule that helps children know when to double the consonant letter before adding a suffix. And this free worksheet will help your little ones learn this rule. Spelling is a tricky thing. There are so many rules So many little details to remember. Because of that, it is so important for our struggling readers and spelling that we teach rules in isolation and give them plenty of time of to work through each new rule. Today we are jumping into the 1-1-1 Rule, and the worksheet is designed to help your little one remember the rule by having them answer the questions before they spell the word.
What is the 1-1-1 Rule?This spelling rule has us asking three questions to help us know if we double a consonant before adding a suffix. The three questions are:
- Is the word one syllable?
- Does the word have one vowel?
- Does the word have one consonant after the vowel?
Words with double consonantsHere are some examples of using the 1 1 1 rule to decide if the words should have double consonants.
Example 1: sleep
- Is the word one syllable? Yes. Sleep is a one-syllable word.
- Does this word have one vowel? The answer to this question is no. There are two vowels (a double e) in sleep. Therefore we don’t need to go any further.
- For sleep, we just add the ing – sleeping
Example 2: regret
- Is the word one syllable? No, it is not. /re/ is one syllable and /gret/ is the second. Because the answer is no, we don’t need to answer any other questions. We just get to add the suffix. regretful
Doubling rule examples
Example 3: dig
- Is the word one syllable? Yes, so let’s ask another.
- Does the word have one vowel? Yep, it does and we now move to the third question.
- Does the word have one consonant after the vowel? Yes, there is only a /g/ after the vowel /e/. Tada!!! Now I get to double the consonant before adding the suffix, digging.
Double consonant spelling ruleThe worksheet is simple to use. First, have your child read the root word in the first column. Next, have them read the suffix, and then have them combine them to say the word they are going to spell.
Double consonant ruleNow it is time for them to ask the questions. Though normally you would only ask questions till you get to a no, this worksheet is designed to help them remember the questions. So I would encourage you to have them ask each question for each word, and record the answer on the sheet, even if you get a no on the first question.
Double consonant worksheetsFinally, they write the word with the suffix. If they answered no to all the questions then they will double the last letter of the root word before adding the suffix. If they got a yes, then they just write down the root word and add the suffix. It is that easy to learn the 1-1-1 rule.
- Cut-and-Paste Trigraphs Worksheets
- Color and Read Book with Trigraphs List for practicing trigraphs pr, squ, and str
- Free Readers to Color and Read MORE words from Trigraphs List
- thr words Playdough Mats
- Hot Cocoa Phonics makes fun winter activities for kindergarten
- Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets are a NO prep kindergarten worksheets to improve phonics skills.
- Christmas Phonics by making a Christmas trees by putting together words with the same beginning sounds.
- TH Worksheets – re-usable activity to help kids work on th sounds
- Mitten Beginning Sounds Matching is a fun Winter Activities for Kindergarten –
- Spring activities Kindergarten for working on consonant blends with digraph blends
- Ice Cream Themed Digraph kindergarten summer activities – sneak in some summer learning to improve reading skills with these cute, educational puzzles.
- Clip Cards are a fun Consonant blends activities – help kids learn to combine letters to make digraph sounds
- Spring Initial Blends Worksheets – super cute activity for helping kids master blends
- Graph a blends activities for 2nd graders – fun combination of math and language arts
- Color by blend worksheet – this is a fun way for kids to practice learning blends
- Consonant Blend Cluster Spelling Mats – hands on activity learning blends
- Kindergarten Word Families Sliders – help kids practice sounding out blends in words with this fun, transportation themed reading activity for early readers.
- Reading and Writing qu words Worksheets
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf free
- Fun-to-Read Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- Free Printable 1st Grade Book Report template
- Kid favorite, FREE Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects!
- Sight Words Printable List
- First Grade Word Search
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets
- sh, ch, th word Digraph Games
- Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Cut and Paste L Blends Worksheets
- LOTS more free printable phonics worksheets and games
1st Grade Math
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Printable Number Bond Games
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Bingo Shapes Game
- Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages
- Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Printable 1st grade math worksheets – handy no-prep math practice that can be used as mad minutes!
1st Grade Science
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment
- 12 Hands-on Battery Experiment Ideas for Kids
- Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities plus other projects
- Phases of the Moon for Kids – worksheets, activities, Oreo moon phases, and more
- Weather Unit with worksheets and hands-on weather activities for kids
- Learn the planet names with this Solar System for Kids Lesson plus tons of other Solar System Project Ideas
Grade 1 Science
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Dive into the amazing world of botany with this plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, expeirments, and free printables too!
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets
United States Lesson for KidsHelp children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables. Plus don’t miss all our fun, free, and immersive history lessons for kids
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Doubling consonantsBefore you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.