Grab these no prep, FREE printable Ending Blends Worksheets to help your first grader learn phonics skills that will help them become better reading and spelling.
Ending blends. There are so many of them, and they have been quite a struggle for my grade 1 students to master. So I’ve decided to buckle down and spend a couple of weeks, working through these blends and getting where they are easy peasy.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these simple ending blends worksheets that focus on “L blends” are just one way we are working on them. All they have to do is Read It and Dot It. Use these for summer learning, extra practice, supplement, or in a literacy center in your classroom.
What is an Ending Blend?
As a reminder, there are two types of blend endings for words: ending blends and digraphs. An ending blend is two adjoining consonants that each make their own sound; a digraph has two letters that make just one sound.
- ENDING BLEND – An example of an ending blend is in the word “sink”. You make a sound for both ending letters nk. Say it out loud slowly and listen for both sounds. Make sense?
- DIGRAPH – An example of a digraph would be in the word “truck”. The ck makes a single sound /k/
Words with Ending Blends
Say the words out loud, you can hear the difference right? There are many words in the English language that contain ending blends. We teach phonics to help children decipher words so they can read and spell. Teaching the different sounds at the end of the word is another rule for them to understand. Here are some other consonants that make ending blends in words:
–st, –sk, –sp, –nd, –nt, –nk, –mp, –rd, –ld, –lp, –rk, –lt, –lf, –pt, –ft, –ct
Ending Blends Worksheets
- Dot it! – Grab so Do-A-Dot markers and let the kids dot away,
- Cover It – Simply get some round manipulatives to cover up the circle and you are ready to go.
- Color It – Gather up some crayons, get in some fine motor skills, and let your little ones color the answer.
I have found that one of my little learners does much better reading when we have spent time spelling the words first. And this is so important with these tricky “l blends”. Our little ones need to hear the word being said, repeating the word as they sound it out, and find the letters that make those sounds.
Words you may want to practice are:
- LD Ending Blends: fold, old, told, cold, bald
- LT Ending Blends: melt, quilt, belt, bolt, salt,
- LF Ending Blends: golf, wolf, shelf, elf, self
- LK Ending Blends: talk, yolk, chalk, milk, walk
- LP Ending Blends: help, gulp
Free 1st grade worksheets
As you were spelling out these fun words, you probably noticed that when “a” and “l” where together you heard all sound. And that the o did not make a short o sound when it was with the l.
Knowing that our children need practice reading those different sounds, I placed all the words with “a” on one page, and the words with “o” on a different page. This way they could focus on these words in isolation and get comfortable with the sound that the “a” and “o” make in these words.
The rest of the vowels thankfully make the short vowel sound, so they mixed up through the rest of the pages. All your little ones have to do is read the word and choose the correct picture.
Looking for more phonics activities for young learners? You will love these resources:
- Ending Blends Game
- Consonant Blends Clip Cards
- Ch, Sh, Th Digraph Game
- Consonant Cluster Spelling Mats
- Hershey Kiss Word Families
- L Blends Worksheets
- Floss Rule Worksheets
- Th Worksheets
- R Controlled Vowel Worksheets
- Spring Initial Blends Matching Game
- Short and Long Vowel Spelling Practice
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Download Ending Blends Printables
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to download their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!