Is your child working on distinguishing between short vowel and long vowel words? The skills or deciphering long and short vowels is an important phonics skill that will help your kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade student learn to read. Download the pdf file with these super cute, free printable bossy e worksheets to help students practice identifying silent e and magic e in words (long vowels ).
Bossy E Worksheets
Are you ready to dive into learning long vowels. A great way to start is to see how they are different from short vowels and make sure your grade 1, grade 2, and kindergarteners can distinguish between short vowel and long vowel words. These free printable do a dot printables are a fun way for students to learn about the magic e with simple, no-prep phonics activity. Just print your bossy e worksheets and grab a dauber marker and you are ready to practice!
We have spent a year with our first graders working through CVC words and learning blends and diagraphs. Now we are shifting gears and focusing on long vowels. This switch can be quite challenging. Our little readers are getting really good and reading those short vowels, and then we change it on them. Now they have to know that each vowel makes two sounds! And to make it even harder they have to learn when to use a short vowel versus a long vowel.
So today, I have a simple worksheet that will help them to focus on when to use a short vowel vs the long vowel.
Magic e worksheets
Simply print the 5 black and white phonics worksheets. The blackline save you on printer ink costs.
Silent e worksheets
There are many rules for making a vowel a long vowel, or a vowel that says its name. One of those ways to make a long vowel is to add an e to the end of a CVC word or a CCVE word. You may have heard of the Bossy E or silent e, and that is what I use to teach my kiddos about the silent e.
“Oh look, there is an e at the end of this word. What does that mean?”
Yes, and what does Bossy E say?”
“Say your name!”
The silent e at the end of the word, make the vowel say it’s name, or make the vowel a long vowel sound.
For example, let’s say I have the word rob. Because it is a CVC word the a is short. But if I were to add an “e” to the end of the word, I now have robe….as in a bath robe. The vowel now says its name, and the “e” at the end of the word is silent.
This works on so many words, and children need to learn that when an that “e” is added the vowel changes to a long vowel. And this is what this free silent e worksheets works on!
This activity requires no prep. Simply, print off the worksheets. Then provide Do-A-Dot markers (also known as bingo markers, bingo daubers, etc) or if you prefer this can be done with markers, colored pencils, or crayons.
The directions are very simple, have your children read the words on the paper. They then look at the pictures and decide which picture best represents the word they best read. Finally, use dot marker tto mark the correct picture.
Short vowel and long vowel
- CVC Words Short U Vowels – cut and pate book for practicing vowels
- Short and Long Vowel Spelling Practice using these no prep worksheets
- Vowel Activity -hands on vowel puzzles
- Short Vowel Board Game
- Long A vs Short A Game
- Short E Word Work
- CVC Word Short Vowel Puzzles
- Short i words Reader
- Spring Short i puzzles
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Don’t miss all our free first grade worksheets and our other printable worksheets for prek-12th grade students.
Download Bossy E Do a Dot Printables
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.