Help children practice reading short vowels with this fun, short vowel games printable. Have fun with three letter words with this Short Vowel Board Game! This vowel games printable is perfect for early readers from pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and review for 2nd graders. SImply download pdf file with short vowel sounds games, print in black and white or color, and you are ready to read and play.
Short vowel games printable
As children learn to read, they will start by learning short vowel words. In this simple, free short vowel games printable children will read easy three letter words as they move their piece around the gameboard. I love combining fun and educational activities to keep kids engaged and eager to learn! Use this printable short vowel games with kindergarnters, grade 1, and grade 2 students.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this is a fun way to reinforce phonics skills and reading to achieve fluency. Use this as extra practice, summer learning, litearcy center in your classroom, or reinforcement for your homeschool phonics curriculum.
Short vowel games printable free
Printable short vowel games
No cutting required! Just print off the game board and reference sheet, either the color or black and white version. Laminate them if you like. You’ll need a pencil and paper clip as a spinner (or add a brad if you have one) and a counter for each child.
Before playing the game, look at the pictures together to see if you know what word the picture represents. Double check with the reference sheet and take special note of the middle vowel sound of each word. What does it sound like when it’s pulled out of the word. Can you str-e-tch out the word and hear each individual sound?
Vowel games printable
Next, look at the way these words are spelled. They are all CVC consonent-vowel-consonent words. So if we can hear the first and last sound in the word all we need to do is work out the middle vowel and we’ll be able to spell it or write it.
Short Vowel Sounds Games
- Put counters on start
- Spin a pencil and paper clip on the spinner.
- If you land on a ‘u,’ for example, jump to the next picture that has a short ‘u’ sound, then spell it out loud. If you land on ‘Jump 2’ just jump two spaces. All these words follow the same CVC spelling pattern.
- Children can use the reference word sheet if they need support.
- They can jump to ‘you did it!’ when the vowel they spin is no longer represented in a picture ahead.
- For writing practice, write down the word they land on each time.
Pick up the free matching Long Vowel Jump Board Game.
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- See all our Vowels activities here
FREE CVC Words Printables
- Short o Words cvc Cut and paste Printable
- Short i cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short E CVC Words Booklet
- Short a CVC Word Book
- CVC Words Activity with bricks
- 25 Fun CVC Activities
- CVC Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- CVC Word Puzzles Free Printable
- Crack the Code CVC Words Printable
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
Don’t miss all our free first grade worksheets and our other printable worksheets for prek-12th grade students. We have free printable math worksheets, english worksheets, history for kids, cool science experiments, and even fun activities for kids to go with every season and holiday throughout the year!
Download Short Vowel Board Game
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.