Kids will have fun working on ending blends with this super cute, fun, and free printable find and dot blend activity for first grade students. We just using bingo daubers and do a dot printable to practice a variety of literacy activities like this Ending Blend Activities.
Ending Blend Activities
In case you forgot, ending blends consists of two adjoining consonants at the end of a word that each make their own sound. Like in the word lamp the “m” and “p” each make their own sound. Another type of word ending is a digraph. Digraphs are when the two sounds at he end make a new sound like in the word back. The “ck” makes the sound /k/. This ending blends activities is a great way to practice this important reading skill with grade 1 students.
Last month I shared a fun game that helps 1st grade students work on L blends. This month we will learn about another ending blend – n blends with a fun activity. These blends include words that end in nd, (stand), nk (stink) and nt (tent). These find and dot sheets help our kiddos recognize the correct spellings of these words.
Don’t miss all our many other 1st Grade Worksheets!
For parents and homeschoolers -take your pick of the best way to use this phonics activity with your children keeping in mind that practice, practice, practice is how you achieve fluency and confidence as you teach your child to read.
First Grade Printables
Before you jump into having your kiddos find and dot these fun N blends, it is important they know the sounds the “n” blends make and have practiced spelling them.
I love using magnetic letters for this activity, but I like using the ones in which all the consonants are one color and the vowels are a different color. Sometimes those vowels get lost as they focus on getting the blends right, and it is always good to remind them that every word has to have a vowel. Or in our case, every word has to have a red letter….those are vowels.
I also love to work on one vowel at a time. Sometimes the vowel makes a different sound when it is next to a blend, and working all the words that use that vowel help our little ones with these odd vowel sounds.
Words with Ending Blends
Here are some group of words you to have them spell before the n blends find and dot activity. And if you want to switch it up a little, try this same activity digitally.
- “nd” blends – and, land, sand, hand, band, bend, tend, lend, send, mend, fend, fund, fond, pond,
- “nt” blends – mint, lint, tint, hint, hunt, runt, bunt, punt, pant, ant, rant, rent, bent, bunt, hunt, punt, runt,
- “nk” blends – think, drink, rink, wink, sink, sank, bank, rank, plank, tank
Now it is time for the find and dot blend activity. It is very simple!
Say the word for the picture in the middle of the page, then have them dot all the words that are spelled correctly. There are five to six words on each page that are spelled correctly.
If your child dots a word that is spelled incorrectly, talk about it. Have them tell you why they dotted it. Ask how it is different than the word that is spelled correctly. Or have them sound out the word and see what it says.
Enjoy the time that they get to play with Do-A-Dot markers, and practice reading words with “N” blends.
Looking for more phonics activities for young learners? You will love these resources:
- Consonant Blends Clip Cards
- Ch, Sh, Th Digraph Game
- Consonant Cluster Spelling Mats
- Hershey Kiss Word Families
- L Blends Worksheets
- Floss Rule Worksheets
- Th Worksheets
- R Controlled Vowel Worksheets
- Spring Initial Blends Matching Game
- Short and Long Vowel Spelling Practice
- Read & Color Ending Blend Worksheets
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Download Ending Blends Game
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to download their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!