I always love incorporating current seasons and holidays into our learning. During the winter months of December, January and February, students seemed more engaged in the material that is being taught when you do. This super cute, winter mitten themed blends activity is a great way to help kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd graders work on literacy skill. Simply print winter printables pdf file with initial blends activity, print, and you are ready to match the blend with the picture in this winter activities for kindergarten.
These Mitten Blends Puzzles are such a fun, educational activity to help kids learn about blends. In this consonant blends game kindergarteners, grade 1, and grade 2 students will match 20 initial blends with pictures of words that contain those blends. This consonant blends activities includes l blends, r blends, and s blends.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this fun phonics activity for winter is a great way to sneak in some spelling and reading practice. Use this as extra practice, winter literacy center in your classroom or supplement to your homeschool phonics curriculum.
Consonant blends activities
Included in these Mitten Blend Puzzles are 20 blend puzzles covering
- Ll blends
- Rr blends
- Ss blends
To prepare for this fun learning activity I recommended that you print these on cardstock and laminate. This will allow you to reuse this printable over and over again. Next cut out each puzzle. I prefer to cut out each entire puzzle and then go back and cut the puzzles out. Each puzzle will have two pieces.
Winter Activities for Kindergarten
Students will first pick a picture puzzle piece that they would like to start with. I always ask my students to point to the picture and say what it is.
Next, students will sort through all of the other puzzle pieces, looking for the correct blend that matches the picture. Once found, they will place the two pieces together and set aside.
Students will continue this until all puzzles have been completed or until time has been called.
Younger students, and even struggling students, may find all twenty puzzles at once very overwhelming. This can lead to discouragement and the feeling of failure and we obviously do not want to do that. We want to set our students up for success from the start.
You can start by giving students one or two l blends, r blends, and s blends mitten puzzles. This will allow them to master the concept first. Once they are able to do those without any issues, you can slowly add in more until all twenty puzzles are being used.
Looking for more blends activities for young learners? You will love these resources:
- Final Consonant Ending Blends Games
- Practice Consonant Blends with cute printable puzzles
- Slide and Read Blends Activity
- Beginning Blends Fall Activities for 1st Grade
- Blue Bird Sorting Blends Activity
- Read and Color Ending Blends Worksheets
- Mitten Initial Blends Winter Activities for 1st Grade
- Initial Blends Matching Game for kids
- Do a Dot Ending Blends Worksheet
- Ending Blends Bingo Dauber Worksheets
- Ch, Sh, Th Digraph Game
- Read and Clip Consonant Blends Activities
- Handy L Blends Worksheets with magenetic letters
- Graph a Blends Activities for 2nd graders
- Floss Rule Worksheets
- Free Printable Color by Blend Worksheet
- Ending S Blends Clip Cards
- Printable nk Ending Blends Clip Cards
- NG Words for Kids Game
- BIngo Dabber ng and nk worksheets
- Th Worksheets – Read th blends in sentences
- R Controlled Vowel Worksheets
- Free printable Blends Worksheets with dot markers
- See all of our blends activities here
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Mitten Blend Puzzles
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.