ng WordsA huge part of reading is phonological awareness, and in fact a large factor of a child’s reading ability, is dependent on their phonological awareness. So what is phonological awareness? Well, it is a child’s ability to find syllables in words. It is knowing onsets (beginning sounds). And it is also being able to hear or identify rhymes. And today, was are focusing on identifying rhymes for “ang”, “ing”, “ong” and “ung”.This ng words game is a great way to help grade 1 and grade 2 students learn the ng phonic sound while having fun with a rhyming game for first grade.
ng Phonic SoundBefore we begin these games, it is important for children to understand that a digraph is two letters that combine to make a unique sound. With the digraph “ng”, you don’t hear a separate n and then a g. But they make the sound that you hear at the end of string or ring. Once that is learned, you can have your little ones practice saying the vowels with the “ng”.
- ang as is rang.
- ing as in ring
- ung as in rung.
- ong as in strong.
ng Sound WordsThere are two games to help your little ones practice listening to and identifying rhymes. The first one is a board game with very little prep work.
- Simply print off the board game and spinner.
- Next, cut out the spinner and use a store bought spinner or a pencil and paper clip to create a spinner.
- Finally, grab two game pieces and you are ready to go.
ng Phonics WordsTo begin, a child spins the spinner. They then move up the board until the come to a word that rhymes with what they spun. For example…
- If they landed on “-Ong” they would move to the first space and say bang.
- No, that doesn’t rhyme.
- Move to king.
- No that doesn’t rhyme.
- Move to song. YES! That rhymes.
words with ng soundThis game can be played two different ways.
- If you want to keep children reading the ending and recognizing the sounds that the vowel plus “ng” make, you will want to use the cards with letters on them.
- If you are only interested in having children listen to sounds, put the word cards aside for now.
- Rainbow Rhyming Words Puzzles
- Camera Strips Rhyming word families
- Lion Rhyming Words Activities
- Cooking up Rhymes Do a Dot Printables
- Butterfly Rhyming Games
- Rhyming Clip Cards
- Glue Puzzles – fun Rhyming Activities for Kindergarten
- Printable Strawberry Themed Rhyming Cards
- Robot Rhyme Puzzle Game
- Winter Rhyming Puzzles
- Smores Rhyming Games for Preschoolers
- Beehive Rhyming Games for Preschool
- Lots of free rhyming activities for kids
- Sneak in some practice this fall with these Pumpkin Rhyming Words
- Practice rhyming with these fun Valentines cut and paste printables
- Rhyme in December with these Gingerbread Rhyming Puzzles
- Spelling Floss Rule Worksheets
- CVC Activities for Practicing phonics and spelling
- 25 Hands on Spelling Activities
- Free Spelling Practice Worksheets
- R Controlled Vowels Worksheets
- Long Vowel Worksheets
- Cluster Spelling Mats
- Outdoor Spelling Activity
- Dart Spelling Activity
- **LOTS more spelling practice activities for kids of all ages
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
ang ing ong ungBefore you download you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
>> Download ng Rhyming Game <<