If your child is working on words ending with ng, you will love this fun ng phonic sound game! Instead of bouring ng words worksheet, make learning phonics skills FUN with this rhyming game featuring ng words. Use this ng sound words with first grade and 2nd graders. Simply print pdf file with word with ng sound and you are ready to play and learn with a free printable rhyming game!
A huge part of reading is phonological awareness, and in fact a large factor of a child’s reading ability, is dependent on their phonological awareness. So what is phonological awareness? Well, it is a child’s ability to find syllables in words. It is knowing onsets (beginning sounds). And it is also being able to hear or identify rhymes. And today, was are focusing on identifying rhymes for “ang”, “ing”, “ong” and “ung”.This ng words game is a great way to help grade 1 and grade 2 students learn the ng phonic sound while having fun with a rhyming game for first grade.
ng Words Worksheet
ng Phonic Sound
Before we begin these games, it is important for children to understand that a digraph is two letters that combine to make a unique sound. With the digraph “ng”, you don’t hear a separate n and then a g. But they make the sound that you hear at the end of string or ring.
Once that is learned, you can have your little ones practice saying the vowels with the “ng”.
- ang as is rang.
- ing as in ring
- ung as in rung.
- ong as in strong.
ng Sound Words
There are two games to help your little ones practice listening to and identifying rhymes. The first one is a board game with very little prep work.
- Simply print off the board game and spinner.
- Next, cut out the spinner and use a store bought spinner or a pencil and paper clip to create a spinner.
- Finally, grab two game pieces and you are ready to go.
ng Phonics Words
To begin, a child spins the spinner. They then move up the board until the come to a word that rhymes with what they spun. For example…
- If they landed on “-Ong” they would move to the first space and say bang.
- No, that doesn’t rhyme.
- Move to king.
- No that doesn’t rhyme.
- Move to song. YES! That rhymes.
The children continue to move up the board until they reach the end space.
This simple game gets children reading the ending of the word as well as listening for a rhyme. It builds reading skills as well as phonemic awareness.
words with ng sound
This game can be played two different ways.
- If you want to keep children reading the ending and recognizing the sounds that the vowel plus “ng” make, you will want to use the cards with letters on them.
- If you are only interested in having children listen to sounds, put the word cards aside for now.
Then spread them out on the floor or table upside down. Now it is time for some fun. Have the children take turns turning over two cards at a time. If you choose the first option, your little ones will need to find the letters that match the sound for a picture they turn over. (-ong, strong)
If you choose second option, now they are looking for pictures that have the same sound. (lung, hung)
No matter which game you play, our young readers are learning the “ng” digraph and identifying rhymes all while playing fun rhyming games.
- Rainbow Rhyming Words Puzzles
- Camera Strips Rhyming word families
- Lion Rhyming Words Activities
- Cooking up Rhymes Do a Dot Printables
- Butterfly Rhyming Games
- Rhyming Clip Cards
- Glue Puzzles – fun Rhyming Activities for Kindergarten
- Printable Strawberry Themed Rhyming Cards
- Robot Rhyme Puzzle Game
- Winter Rhyming Puzzles
- Smores Rhyming Games for Preschoolers
- Beehive Rhyming Games for Preschool
- Lots of free rhyming activities for kids
- Sneak in some practice this fall with these Pumpkin Rhyming Words
- Practice rhyming with these fun Valentines cut and paste printables
- Rhyme in December with these Gingerbread Rhyming Puzzles
Looking for more blends activities for young learners? You will love these resources:
- Final Consonant Ending Blends Games
- Practice Consonant Blends with cute printable puzzles
- Slide and Read Blends Activity
- Beginning Blends Fall Activities for 1st Grade
- Blue Bird Sorting Blends Activity
- Read and Color Ending Blends Worksheets
- Mitten Initial Blends Winter Activities for 1st Grade
- Initial Blends Matching Game for kids
- Do a Dot Ending Blends Worksheet
- Ending Blends Bingo Dauber Worksheets
- Ch, Sh, Th Digraph Game
- Read and Clip Consonant Blends Activities
- Handy L Blends Worksheets with magenetic letters
- Graph a Blends Activities for 2nd graders
- Floss Rule Worksheets
- Free Printable Color by Blend Worksheet
- Ending S Blends Clip Cards
- Printable nk Ending Blends Clip Cards
- NG Words for Kids Game
- BIngo Dabber ng and nk worksheets
- Th Worksheets – Read th blends in sentences
- R Controlled Vowel Worksheets
- Free printable Blends Worksheets with dot markers
- See all of our blends activities here
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
ang ing ong ung
Before you grab you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
>> Print ng Rhyming Game <<