It’s that time of the year when we start learning and practicing blends. There are many ways to get kids pronouncing blends and building their phoneme knowledge. Today, I will share a fun Graph a Blends Activity based on identifying blend sounds. This is such a fun phonics activity for first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students.
This fun graph a blend game will be a hit with your grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students. The blends activity is simple to prepare, you can even print it out in greyscale! Simply print the free printable and have fun working on improving reading, spelling, and phonics skills. Children learning to segment words will benefit from an activity where they would segment and blend the word to identify the initial sound. This in turn helps the kids understand what sound the two letters together make. There are so many ways to have the kids do this.
Blends activities for 2nd graders
I like to get the kids stressing the sound that they hear in each word, for instance “blueberry”… They would say “BLueberry” stressing on the beginning blend “BL”. And so on…
This activity includes four blends, bl, br, cl, and cr. There are picture cards which include pictures of common blends.
cl blends worksheets
Differentiation: I love having activities to include for my ESL/ELL kids. They especially find sounding out activities difficult. You could choose to include a number of cards for bl and br and not cl and cr to help ESL kids work on distinguishing between two blends at a time.
This fun activity gets the kids distinguishing between these four blends!
bl blends worksheets
- Download Graph a Blend below
- Print in COLOR or BLACK & WHITE (use card stock or laminate the pages)
- Cut the cards out.
- Store them in a plastic sleeve or file folder.
- Prepare 5 dice and as many as you need for each group of students (1 die per group).
- Store a page of the recording page in a plastic slip for future photocopying needs.
Consonant Blends Activity
- Stack the cards with the pictures of the blends however way you want (you can choose to use two or four blends).
- Place a die on top of each deck to show that if the kids roll that number then they pick a card from that deck and so on.
- The kids will roll the die and choose a card from that deck of cards. They look at the picture and say the word, then they identify the beginning blend sound and write the blend on the graph. They can use crayons or markers as they graph too.
- They keep going until they graph all the cards. You can print as many or as little cards as you like.
- This fun activity can be repeated for practice!
- Cut-and-Paste Trigraphs Worksheets
- Color and Read Book with Trigraphs List for practicing trigraphs pr, squ, and str
- Free Readers to Color and Read MORE words from Trigraphs List
- thr words Playdough Mats
- Hot Cocoa Phonics makes fun winter activities for kindergarten
- Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets are a NO prep kindergarten worksheets to improve phonics skills.
- Christmas Phonics by making a Christmas trees by putting together words with the same beginning sounds.
- TH Worksheets – re-usable activity to help kids work on th sounds
- Mitten Beginning Sounds Matching is a fun Winter Activities for Kindergarten –
- Spring activities Kindergarten for working on consonant blends with digraph blends
- Ice Cream Themed Digraph kindergarten summer activities – sneak in some summer learning to improve reading skills with these cute, educational puzzles.
- Clip Cards are a fun Consonant blends activities – help kids learn to combine letters to make digraph sounds
- Spring Initial Blends Worksheets – super cute activity for helping kids master blends
- Graph a blends activities for 2nd graders – fun combination of math and language arts
- Color by blend worksheet – this is a fun way for kids to practice learning blends
- Consonant Blend Cluster Spelling Mats – hands on activity learning blends
- Kindergarten Word Families Sliders – help kids practice sounding out blends in words with this fun, transportation themed reading activity for early readers.
- Reading and Writing qu words Worksheets
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Lots of fun Chapter Books for 1st Graders wth free printable list
- Free Book Report Template to print and use with any book
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets make learning FUN!
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Free Sight Words Printable List
- 1st Grade Word Search Printable
- Free Printable 1st grade math worksheets to print and practice
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of FREE Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- Cut and Paste Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Telling Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE 250+ page Unit with activities, experiments, information, and Ocean Animal Worksheets
- Discover 16 amazing places around the world with these Country worksheets Study
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal printables with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Download Graph a Blends Activity
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.