It’s that time of the year when we start learning and practicing blends. There are many ways to get kids pronouncing blends and building their phoneme knowledge. Today, I will share a fun Graph a Blends Activity based on identifying blend sounds.
This fun graph a blend game will be a hit with your students!
The activity is simple to prepare, you can even print it out in greyscale!
I like to get the kids stressing the sound that they hear in each word, for instance “blueberry”… They would say “BLueberry” stressing on the beginning blend “BL”. And so on…
This activity includes four blends, bl, br, cl, and cr. There are picture cards which include pictures of common blends.
Differentiation: I love having activities to include for my ESL/ELL kids. They especially find sounding out activities difficult. You could choose to include a number of cards for bl and br and not cl and cr to help ESL kids work on distinguishing between two blends at a time.
This fun activity gets the kids distinguishing between these four blends!
- Download Graph a Blend below
- Print in COLOR or BLACK & WHITE (use card stock or laminate the pages)
- Cut the cards out.
- Store them in a plastic sleeve or file folder.
- Prepare 5 dice and as many as you need for each group of students (1 die per group).
- Store a page of the recording page in a plastic slip for future photocopying needs.
Consonant Blends Activity
- Stack the cards with the pictures of the blends however way you want (you can choose to use two or four blends).
- Place a die on top of each deck to show that if the kids roll that number then they pick a card from that deck and so on.
- The kids will roll the die and choose a card from that deck of cards. They look at the picture and say the word, then they identify the beginning blend sound and write the blend on the graph. They can use crayons or markers as they graph too.
- They keep going until they graph all the cards. You can print as many or as little cards as you like.
- This fun activity can be repeated for practice!
More FUN Blends Activities
Download Graph a Blends Activity
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.