Move beyond simple word family sliders as your child has mastered simple words. These Blends Transportation Word Family Sliders include more complex words beginning with blends and digraphs. These are such a fun way for Kindergarten, 1st grade, and 2nd grade students to practice sounding out and reading words.
Last month we shared pumpkin word family sliders that included only 3-letter words such as rat, pin and jug.
But these transport sliders are aimed at children who are managing those words well and are now gaining confidence with trickier beginnings.
These are great for Kindergarten, 1st grade, and 2nd grade students.
Consonant blends are exactly what they sound like! Two (or sometimes three) consonants standing together but although we blend them we can still hear both individual sounds. The blends included in these transport sliders are: br, cl, cr, dr, fl, gl, pl, sk, sl, st, str and tr.
Consonant digraphs are two consonants standing together that become one sound. This pack includes ch, sh, th and wh.
Some word families don’t have many words starting with blends or digraphs so for the ‘en’ word family I got a little creative and included 4-letter words that don’t strictly fit this pattern. So as well as ‘when’ and ‘then’ there is also ‘oven,’ ‘oxen’ and ‘amen.’
Word Family Activities
Print these free transport word family sliders in either color or black and white!
- Download these free Transport Word Family Sliders.
- Print off either the color or black and white pictures and word sliders. Use card stock or laminate for durability.
- Cut slits in the pictures using the dotted lines as guides.
- Thread the word or picture strips through the bottom slit from the back, then slide it into the top slit from the front.
- Children match the pictures to the words by sliding both strips up and down till they match.
- Encourage children to read the words out loud as they find them.
- Another option is to make a word (but not say it) and then ask your child to find the picture; or give them a picture and ask them to make the correct word.
These free transport word sliders are brilliant for encouraging children to practice their reading!
- Transportation Worksheets – practice a variety of math and literacy skills with this free printable pack
Word Family Activities
Looking for more fun, free printable word family printables to make learning fun for preschoolers, prek, kindergartners, and first graders? You will love these clever ideas and resources:
- Super cute Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Christmas Phonics Activity for working on phonics skills with word families!
- Pumpkin Pie Word Family Activity
- Turkey Word Family Sort
- Word Family Sliders Free – lots of styles to print in color or black and white
- Pumpkin Word Family Slides Printables
- Easter Egg Word Families Activity
- Word Family Flowers Cut & Paste Worksheets
- Transportation Word Family Slides Printables with blends
- Hershey Kiss Word Family Activity
- Free printable Rhyming Word Families Kindergarten
- Lion Words Family Printable – read and clip
- Planting Carrot CVC Words worksheets
- Carrot Word Family Worksheets
- Blowing Bubbles Word Family Activities
Download Blends Transportation Word Family Sliders
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.