Move beyond simple word family sliders as your child has mastered simple words. These Blends Transportation Word Family Sliders include more complex words beginning with blends and digraphs. These are such a fun way for Kindergarten, 1st grade, and 2nd grade students to practice sounding out and reading words.
Last month we shared pumpkin word family sliders that included only 3-letter words such as rat, pin and jug.
But these transport sliders are aimed at children who are managing those words well and are now gaining confidence with trickier beginnings.
These are great for Kindergarten, 1st grade, and 2nd grade students.
Consonant blends are exactly what they sound like! Two (or sometimes three) consonants standing together but although we blend them we can still hear both individual sounds. The blends included in these transport sliders are: br, cl, cr, dr, fl, gl, pl, sk, sl, st, str and tr.
Consonant digraphs are two consonants standing together that become one sound. This pack includes ch, sh, th and wh.
Some word families don’t have many words starting with blends or digraphs so for the ‘en’ word family I got a little creative and included 4-letter words that don’t strictly fit this pattern. So as well as ‘when’ and ‘then’ there is also ‘oven,’ ‘oxen’ and ‘amen.’
Word Family Activities
Print these free transport word family sliders in either color or black and white!
- Download these free Transport Word Family Sliders.
- Print off either the color or black and white pictures and word sliders. Use card stock or laminate for durability.
- Cut slits in the pictures using the dotted lines as guides.
- Thread the word or picture strips through the bottom slit from the back, then slide it into the top slit from the front.
- Children match the pictures to the words by sliding both strips up and down till they match.
- Encourage children to read the words out loud as they find them.
- Another option is to make a word (but not say it) and then ask your child to find the picture; or give them a picture and ask them to make the correct word.
These free transport word sliders are brilliant for encouraging children to practice their reading!
- Transportation Worksheets – practice a variety of math and literacy skills with this free printable pack
Word Family Activities
Looking for more fun, free printable word family printables to make learning fun for preschoolers, prek, kindergartners, and first graders? You will love these clever ideas and resources:
- Super cute Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Christmas Phonics Activity for working on phonics skills with word families!
- Pumpkin Pie Word Family Activity
- Turkey Word Family Sort
- Word Family Sliders Free – lots of styles to print in color or black and white
- Pumpkin Word Family Slides Printables
- Easter Egg Word Families Activity
- Word Family Flowers Cut & Paste Worksheets
- Transportation Word Family Slides Printables with blends
- Hershey Kiss Word Family Activity
- Free printable Rhyming Word Families Kindergarten
- Lion Words Family Printable – read and clip
- Planting Carrot CVC Words worksheets
- Carrot Word Family Worksheets
- Blowing Bubbles Word Family Activities
Looking for more fun, free transportation printables to help kids learn a variety of skills with a fun transporation theme? You will love these transportation free printables:
- Construction Worksheets – looking for another huge pack with tons of activities to help teach your kindergartner? You will love this huge construction theme!
- Dump Truck Counting Mat – Count to 20 activity that uses foil or playdough as a hands on manipulative.
- Help kid spractice a variety of skills with this HUGE pack of Transportation Worksheets
- Transportation Kindergarten Word Families Sliders – help kids improve reading skills with this fun transportation themed learning activity
- Tools matching upper and lowercase letters game printable activity
- Free printable preschool worksheets tracing letters – practice handwriting while tracing letters with this fun transportation theme printable
- Preschool Construction Theme Printables to practice a variety of math and literacy skills with a no prep activity for early learners.
- Transportation Playdough Mats – Kids will have fun recreating vehicles while strengthening hands using play dough.
- School Bus Alphabet Matching – practice matter upper and lowerase letters with a fun back to school theme.
- Check out these transportation activities for preschool
- Transportation Pom Pom Activity Sheets – work on one to one correspondence with this fun hands-on transportation activity
- Make some artwork as you try this silly painting with cars activity for kids
- Practicing counting to 100 with this number train printable
- Don’t miss these fun-to-read Transportation Books for Kids
- Airplane cvc words worksheets to complete with do a dot markers
- Crazy Roads Kindergarten Sight Words Game or the pre-k sight words version or first grade sight words games edition
- Practice sight words with this fun, Train themed sightwordgame
- Cut-and-Paste Trigraphs Worksheets
- Color and Read Book with Trigraphs List for practicing trigraphs pr, squ, and str
- Free Readers to Color and Read MORE words from Trigraphs List
- thr words Playdough Mats
- Hot Cocoa Phonics makes fun winter activities for kindergarten
- Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets are a NO prep kindergarten worksheets to improve phonics skills.
- Christmas Phonics by making a Christmas trees by putting together words with the same beginning sounds.
- TH Worksheets – re-usable activity to help kids work on th sounds
- Mitten Beginning Sounds Matching is a fun Winter Activities for Kindergarten –
- Spring activities Kindergarten for working on consonant blends with digraph blends
- Ice Cream Themed Digraph kindergarten summer activities – sneak in some summer learning to improve reading skills with these cute, educational puzzles.
- Clip Cards are a fun Consonant blends activities – help kids learn to combine letters to make digraph sounds
- Spring Initial Blends Worksheets – super cute activity for helping kids master blends
- Graph a blends activities for 2nd graders – fun combination of math and language arts
- Color by blend worksheet – this is a fun way for kids to practice learning blends
- Consonant Blend Cluster Spelling Mats – hands on activity learning blends
- Kindergarten Word Families Sliders – help kids practice sounding out blends in words with this fun, transportation themed reading activity for early readers.
- Reading and Writing qu words Worksheets
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Lots of fun Chapter Books for 1st Graders wth free printable list
- Free Book Report Template to print and use with any book
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets make learning FUN!
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Free Sight Words Printable List
- 1st Grade Word Search Printable
- Free Printable 1st grade math worksheets to print and practice
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of FREE Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- Cut and Paste Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Telling Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE 250+ page Unit with activities, experiments, information, and Ocean Animal Worksheets
- Discover 16 amazing places around the world with these Country worksheets Study
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal printables with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Download Blends Transportation Word Family Sliders
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.