Grab this super cute, free printable, Winter Hat Rhyming Words with pictures puzzles to help children practice finding words that rhyme. These match the rhyming words activity add a fun twist to the matching rhyming words activity. Use this to review rhyming words for kindergarten, preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age students. We love hands-on rhyming activities that students can do over and over again instead of kindergarten rhyming worksheets.
Rhyming words with pictures
This fun winter themed rhyming words with pictures is a great way to help preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students work on reading readings skills by listening for similar patterns in words. Rhyming. We find it all around us. In books, we read to our children, songs we sing, and in the phonics, we are teaching. It is an important skill and one that is fun to play with.
Match the rhyming words
Why Teach Rhyming
Do you know one of the indicators of a successful reader? It is knowing nursery rhymes.
Why? Because they rhyme and rhyming is a great skill that helps children read. You see most rhyming words end the same. And because they end the same, we are working on phonemic awareness when we practice rhyming. Rhyming helps us focus on the sounds of language.
Did you also know that rhyming helps children understand that words are made out of individual speech sounds, and you can change those sounds to create different words? Most of all rhyming is fun. Reading rhyming books, singing silly rhyming songs, and even creating your own crazy rhyming poems is just plain fun. And with that fun….our kids find joy in words and reading.
Rhyming words for kindergarten
This activity requires a little bit of cutting, but if you laminate them, they can be used over and over.
- First, print off the hats on card stock paper.
- Next, cut them out and laminate.
Now it is time to call your kindergartner or preschooler and have some fun with this winter rhyming match.
Kindergarten rhyming words
First, it is important to determine what will be to much for your child.
Can you put all the hats on the ground and let them rhyme away, or do you need to only put a few hats out?
Match the rhyming pictures
Next, our little ones need to know that words the pictures represent. You could show them the picture and let them guess, or you could just tell them and have them repeat (great speech practice if you have a child that needs this.)
Then, let them start saying the words and seeing if they can find the words that rhyme. Of course, some children will be able to do this with little to no help, while others will need support.
Winter Activities for Kindergartners
One way to support is to slowly say the word while emphasizing the ending sound. You could even say the two words they are working on and emphasize the ending of both words. And if that doesn’t work….leave off the beginning sound and just say the ending.
It is a fun way to get children practicing rhymes. Enjoy!!!!
- Rainbow Rhyming Words Puzzles
- Camera Strips Rhyming word families
- Lion Rhyming Words Activities
- Cooking up Rhymes Do a Dot Printables
- Butterfly Rhyming Games
- Rhyming Clip Cards
- Glue Puzzles – fun Rhyming Activities for Kindergarten
- Printable Strawberry Themed Rhyming Cards
- Robot Rhyme Puzzle Game
- Winter Rhyming Puzzles
- Smores Rhyming Games for Preschoolers
- Beehive Rhyming Games for Preschool
- Lots of free rhyming activities for kids
- Sneak in some practice this fall with these Pumpkin Rhyming Words
- Practice rhyming with these fun Valentines cut and paste printables
- Rhyme in December with these Gingerbread Rhyming Puzzles
Looking for more free winter worksheets, winter activities, and winter themed ideas to make learning fun all winter long? Check out these fun resources:
- Free Printable Winter Worksheets help pre-k and kindergarten age students practice a variety of math and literacy skills
- Winter Rhymes –Matching Rhyming Words Games
- Winter Pre-Writing Activity for early learners
- Practice counting to 100 with these free Winter Color by Number Worksheets
- Super cute Winter Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Or work on letter recognition with these Color by Letter Winter Worksheets
- Rhyming Words with Pictures Winter Puzzles
- Winter Free Sight Word Worksheets
- Winter Syllables printable activity
- Free Printable Winter Story Starters
- Winter Roll and Cover worksheets with do a dot markers
- Fun-to-Read Winter Books for Kids
- Practice counting to 10 with this super cute Free Winter Printables
Nothing says winter like snowman! Try these cute snowman printables:
- Build a CVC Word Snowman Activities for early readers!
- Adorable Count to 10 Snowman Printables Book
- Winter Snowman Word Family Spinners freebie
- Printable Snowman Clock and telling time activities
- Fun Snowman Math Craft for kids to practice addition within 10
- Build a Snowman worksheet to help kindergartners work on sequencing
- Winter Playdough Mats for kids to build common winter items
- Practice phonemic awareness with these adorable Snowman Coloring Pages
- Snowman Printables for teaching children basic shapes
- Winter Snap Cube Free Printables
- Hands-on Winter Counting activity for preschoolers
- Free Winter Worksheets for pre-k
- Super cute, count to 10 Snowman Crafts Preschool
- Snow globe Letter Find Winter Worksheets
- Winter worksheets for Kindergartens
- Or try this easy snowman craft that uses circle stickers
Download Winter Rhyming Words Puzzles
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!