Looking for a fun way to practice compound words for kids? This ice-cream compound word puzzles is a free printable building activity. Use this compound words activity as a fun and hands-on method of practicing and learning with compound word picture puzzles while building a lovely ice-cream. This compound words game is a great summer learning activity for your pre-k, kindergarten, or first graders. Simply print this free Compound Word exercises and let your learner practice learning their compound words with some hands-on practice!
Compound Words for Kids
Young learners prefer hands-on activities over worksheets. This fun and hands-on activity is sure to make learners more willing to learn and build their compound words. The fun ice cream theme will excite learners and is also a fun activity for summer. Add this activity into a preschoolers, kindergarteners and grade 1 literacy center for a fun summer literacy center.
Compound Word Puzzles
Compound Words Activity
New readers can sometimes fear reading big words, because they think the word is too hard to figure out. When learners begin to understand that the word can be broken down into smaller ones, and then put together they get more confident with their reading and tackle big words with more ease.
Teaching learners compound words is one of the ways to help them tackle big words. A compound word is created when two separate words are taken and combined together to form a new word with a completely new meaning different from either word. For e.g. hot and dog can be put together to form the compound word hotdog.
Compound word picture puzzles
The printable includes 32 Compound Word puzzles with the following list of words:
- Rainbow (rain + bow)
- Armchair (arm + chair)
- Backpack (back + pack)
- Basketball (basket + ball)
- Bathtub (bath + tub)
- Butterfly (butter + fly)
- Chalkboard (chalk + board)
- Cupcake (cup + cake)
- Doorbell (door + bell)
- Dragonfly (dragon + fly)
- Earring (ear + ring)
- Firefighter (fire + fighter)
- Fishbowl (fish + bowl)
- Goldfish (gold + fish)
- Horseshoe (horse + shoe)
- Hotdog (hot + dog)
- Jellyfish (jelly + fish)
- Ladybug (lady + bug)
- Lipstick (lip + stick)
- Mailbox (mail + box)
- Pancake (pan + cake)
- Pineapple (pine + apple)
- Popcorn (pop + corn)
- Raincoat (rain + coat)
- Sandbox (sand + box)
- Seashell (sea + shell)
- Skateboard (skate + board)
- Snowman (snow + man)
- Sunflower (sun + flower)
- Sunglasses (sun + glasses)
- Toothbrush (tooth + brush)
- Treehouse (tree + house)
Compound words exercises
Print and laminate the pages. There are a total of 16 pages and each page has 2 compound word puzzles, for a total of 32 puzzles.
Cut apart the pages to create the ice-cream cones and scoops. Separate the pieces into three piles; the ice cream cones, the scoop with the picture of the compound word and the two scoops which contain the individual words.
Compound words game
Each of the puzzles consist of 4 pieces. The first piece is the ice cream cone. This contains only the compound word. Learners will read the word and match the first ice cream scoop onto the cone. For e.g they will match the scoop containing the picture of the goldfish to the word ‘goldfish’ on the ice cream cone. The learner will then find the two scoops that contain the words which make up the ‘goldfish’ which are ‘gold’ and ‘fish’. The final step will be to layer all three scoops on top of each other to create a delicious looking compound word ice cream!
Learners are sure to enjoy this fun and hands-on compound word activity, which can help to build their vocabulary in a fun way. Practicing compound words will also help learners tackle reading larger words with a little more ease. To grab your free copy of this printable, click on the link at the end of this blog post.
Compound Words for Kids
For more practice learning compound words for kids, try these fun compound word ideas for early learners!
- Learning Compound Words with Block – a fun compound words activities
- Compound Word Puzzles – print the free set in color or black and white (self-checking)
- Apple Compound Words for kids Worksheets
- Super cute, free printable Compound Word Activity making tw0-piece puzzles
- Clip it Free Compound Word Cards
- 5 Free Compound Word Activities – including picture cards, worksheets, puzzles, and more!
- Winter Compound Word Activities – free printable set includes compound word worksheets and snowflake puzzles
- Free printable Compound Words for Kids printable readers
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf free
- Fun-to-Read Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- Free Printable 1st Grade Book Report template
- Kid favorite, FREE Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects!
- Sight Words Printable List
- Synonyms and antonyms worksheets
- First Grade Word Search
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets
- sh, ch, th word Digraph Games
- Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Cut and Paste L Blends Worksheets
- LOTS more free printable phonics worksheets and games
1st Grade Math
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Printable Number Bond Games
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Bingo Shapes Game
- Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages
- Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
1st Grade Science
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment
- 12 Hands-on Battery Experiment Ideas for Kids
- Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities plus other projects
- Phases of the Moon for Kids – worksheets, activities, Oreo moon phases, and more
- Weather Unit with worksheets and hands-on weather activities for kids
- Learn the planet names with this Solar System for Kids Lesson plus tons of other Solar System Project Ideas
Grade 1 Science
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Dive into the amazing world of botany with this plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, expeirments, and free printables too!
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets
United States Lesson for Kids
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables. Plus don’t miss all our fun, free, and immersive history lessons for kids
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Compound words printable
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles License #94836 and Molly Tillyer
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
Leave a Reply