As we continue learning about Native Americans for Kids, this week’s lesson is on the pacific northwest tribes. In this hands-on Native American lesson we explored the indigenous people living what is now Oregon and Washington. We made an easy totem pole craft for kids and use our free printable native american worksheets to first color, read and learn about these tribes and then see what we had learned. Simply download pdf file with native american printables and you are ready to learn! These Native American Activities are great for teaching pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students.
Native americans lessons
In this native americans lesson we will learn about the Pacific Northwest Tribes. To make this a fun, engaging american history for kids we included lots of native american activities for seeing historical artifacts up close, free printable native american worksheets to teach and reinforce what we learned, plus native american crafts for kids to explore how these indigenous tribes made totem poles. This us history for kids lesson is adaptable for kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students.
Native american printables
Pacific Northwest tribes
The pacific northwest tribes can be seen in purple in the map below. Because they were so far away from the east coast the European influence didn’t get to them until the 1700s as apposed to the 1500s for the majority of the North American tribes.
Note: I know for some people this is a very personal subject. We have done our best to represent a historically accurate account of life for Native Americans. We also discussed the influence of the white settlers along with life today for those with Native American roots. But the emphasis is on the historical part when the settlers first arrived.
I do not claim to be an expert in Native American culture and I know we have had to simplify many aspects of their culture and beliefs to fit with teaching this to elementary age kids. If you do not “like” our unit for whatever reason, I’m sorry. Any harsh comments will be deleted, but I welcome constructive feedback!
Native American Activities
We started out by printing out the Pacific Northwest tribe printable books (from the free printable below). We read through the information.
Native american worksheets
Then we completed the worksheets comparing all four Native American tribes we studied, review worksheets, and a look at the Seminole tribe in Florida.
Northwest indian tribes
Then we dived into my favorite part, making history come alive with hands on learning!
We used the free printable totem pole worksheets in the pack below to make our own totem poles. First we read what totem poles represented and their importance in their community. Then the kids picked what animals (and their meaning) they wanted on their totem poles.
Then they cut them out and taped (or glued) on their rolled up piece of construction paper (or paper towel rolls if you have enough)
Native American Fieldtrip
We took a Field trip to see some Native American artifacts. If you live close to a reservation, consider taking a tour and see some historical artifacts along with a look at how they live today.
Native Americans for Kids
Learn more about Native American History for Kids of the indigenous Indians who lived in North America before the European settlers discovered American with these fun engaging history lessons with activities and free printable worksheets too!
History Lessons for Kids
Check out one of or MANY engaging, Free history lessons for kids
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- Dive into Mesopotamia History to learn about Gilgamesh
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- Learn about castles, knights, and more in this exciting Middle Ages for Kids
- Make a teepee, dig for arrowheads, color our printable books and more in this Native Americans for Kids lessons
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Civil War for Kids – students will learn about slavery, famous Americans from the Civil War, famous battles, and how our nation stayed together. Lesson includes printable worksheets, mapping activities, printable civil war board game and more!
- Learn about US States for Kids – state coloring pages, president coloring pages, state report forms, states and capital printables, and so much more!
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Titanic for Kids Reader to Color and Learn
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- 1930s for Kids – Printable Book about the Golden age of Hollywood, Great Depression for Kids and more to read, color, and learn
- 1950s for Kids Reader to Color, Learn and read about what life was like in America in 1950
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- 16 Countries for Kids Printables
- Learn about the countries for kids with these free resources
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Super cute, Free printable India for Kids Book to color, read, and learn!
- China for Kids Printable Book helps kids learn about this large, populous country famous for the great wall of china, Terra Cotta Warriors, and the Forbidden city
- Join us for a fiesta as we learn about Mexico for Kids including delicious food, Mayan temples and more!
- Explore Venezuela for Kids with the beautiful Angel Falls and delicious Arepas in this printable mini book
- Learn about the fascinating country of South Africa for kids and its fascinating wildlife.
- You can find all our country coloring pages coloring pages or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
- Children around the World Worksheets
- Country Coloring Book – explore 36 countries with country coloring pages
Native american tribes of the northwest
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!