Kids will have fun learning about early explorers with this 5 week hands on history lessons for kids of all ages. This Early Explorers for Kids unit includes fun activities, lapbook, worksheets, and more to make learning fun.
Early Explorers for Kids
Kids will have fun reliving the adventures of early explorers for kids as they become a viking with Leif Erickson, sale around the world with Magellan, head to China with Marco Polo, discover the New World with Columbus, and more!
Each lesson is filled with clever, fun, hands on educational activities and free printables to teach elementary age kids about early explorers.
Just click on the links below to see more about each lesson:
Learn about the life of a Norwegian Viking by making your costume, shield, and longship. Help kids remember what they discovered in Greenland and where it got it’s name. Learn about geography with a simple mapping activity and begin your free explorers lapbook.
Kids will love walking the silk road just like Marco Polo did. They will discover silks, make spice paintings, use math to calculate the distance he traveled, taste Chinese food, and continue adding to their explorers lapbook.
Make your own working compass as you learn about Prince Henry The Navigator.
Play a fun game to learn about being the captain of a ship, make your own hour glass, and learn to draw the Nina, la Pinta, and the Santa Maria. Then retell the adventures of Columbus, Vasco de Gama, and Vespucci to reinforce what you’ve learned. Also included in the explorers printables are explorers writing prompts and more to add to your explorers lapbook.
Map Magellan’s route around the globe, learn about Spanish Conquistadors, discover the Aztec culture, and make some Aztec pottery.
Use the explorer worksheets to practice mapping and see how dangerous being an explorer really was. And last, but not least, add these famous explorers to your lapbook.
Learn about Drake (the English pirate who was the second explorer to go around the world), Henry Hudson who was sent to discover a passage to Asia but died in the Hudson bay instead, and Cartier who discover the St. Lawrence River.
Finish by adding your renaming elements to your free explorer lapbook and taking time to use the free printable explorer review sheets to review what you’ve learned.
Finally, if you have younger learners joining your unit you’ll want to grab these Free Early Explorers Preschool Pack to let them join in on the learning.
History Lessons for Kids
Our fun, hands-on and engaging homeschool history include not only clever activities to make history fun and memorable, but FREE printable worksheets and games too!
- Mesopotamia History – learn about he cradle of civilization while making costumes, recipes, maps, their own wheeled transport replica, play the royal game of Ur, make raised reliefs, practice cuniform in clay, and construct their own zigurats!
- Early Explorers contains activities and printables to relive the adventures of early explorers for kids as they become a viking with Leif Erickson, sale around the world with Magellan, head to China with Marco Polo, discover the New World with Columbus, and more!
- Middle Ages for Kids. Build your own Medieval Castle, learn about the science of a catapult, dye silk, make peasant bread, find out the important roles of knights, make a bow and arrow, learn the origin of pretzels, making illuminated manuscripts, make artwork with egg paint and weaving simple tapestries .
- Native Americans for Kids – explore various tribes as you create free printable book, make PVC tent, totem poles, Indian fry bread, husk dolls, recreate an archeological dig with arrow heads, and more!
- Colonial America for Kids takes kids on a journey back to the first settlers in America – eat Gruel, makea Wattle & Daub house, create a tin lantern, write with a quill, make simple Johnny Cakes, make you own marbles, create traditional silhouette art projects, and more.
- American Revolution for Kids. In 4 units your students will learn what events lead up to the American Revolutionand famous figures will making dragon pistols, roll their own cartridges, working spy cipher, cold feet activity.
- What was the Westward Expanion? Hisotyr comes alive as they learn about the oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, and more with printables and activities like making a covered wagon, homemade crackers, how to square dance, pan for gold, and make a railroad project.
- Civil War for Kids We have recommendations for mapping and visiting famous battle sights nearby, printable civil war board game, make an informative emergent reader, create a flip book or people students should know, and complete some free printable Civil War worksheets.
- United States for Kids – we have worksheets, games, state coloring pages and more to make learning about the USA fun!
- Learn about the Children of the World and the countries they live in with our handy, FREE resources: country readers, map of the world for kids to print and label, a printable countries of the world coloring book.
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, grade 1 worksheets, second grade worksheets and more for K12. Plus see our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!