Digging into World History Volume 1 is a homeschool history curriculum that allows you teach all your kids homeschool history together! This world history homeschool curriculum includes a year’s worth of lessons and over 4000 years of history about ancient civilizations from creation to the fall of the Western Roman Empire. Our world history lesson plans are perfect for elementary age students, Junior High, and High School to learn together as we have options to scale based on age using worksheets, mapping pages, weekly quizes, tests, and dig deeper ideas like videos, projects, & activities!
Homeschool History Curriculum
I love history! I think it’s because I grew up in Europe hiking around Roman ruins, seeing beautiful castles, and trying to comprehend how anyone could allow the atrocities that took place in German concentration camps. So, when it was time to teach history to my own kids , I wanted to make it come alive so they could explore and feel like they were almost living through history. When they were in elementary school, we did immersive homeschool history unit where we would study a certain time period for 4-6 weeks. You can see our homeschool history lessons where we made a castle studying the middle ages, made marbles to play Colonial Games, panned for gold like they did during the Westward Expansion, took a Revolutionary War field trip, and made an epic Viking ship to learn about early explorers.
As my kids starting getting older, I wanted a way to help them put all that we had learned into context and order to see the big picture of the history of the world. In writing Digging into World History, I wanted a world history homeschool curriculum that would allow all my kids from elementary age to Junior High, and High Schoolers to learn together (and we have quite a range of ages)! So, this curriculum has quite a range or options depending on your child’s age. I wanted to keep it simple enough for everyone to understand, with the key people and events throughout history, while keeping it affordable too. I’m so proud of what I’ve come up with that allows us to learn history together as a family. I hope your family loves Digging into World History as much as mine has!
The way we know what happened before we were alive to see it happen first hand, is by first hand accounts recorded in writing and on buildings. We can learn about cultures through their buildings, burials, and artifacts. Archeologists carefully dig up the past and use special tools to analyze the composition and age of what they find. This process of digging to find history is what inspired the title of this homeschool history curriculum. We are going to intellectually dig into the knowledge archeologists got by physically digging to uncover history that happened thousands and thousands of years ago.
World History Lesson
This curriculum includes over 360 pages to give you LOTS of options! Let me give you a brief overview of its components here and then dive a little deeper further down:
- World History Lesson Plans – everything is organized and easily laid out to make teaching quick and easy! Except for the digging deeper options, Just print and teach! Handy table of contents so you can jump to different lessons if needed. I like to print all the lesson pages for my kids and they each store them in a 3-ring binder to reference as we go along. My elementary age students keep all their completed coloring pages in a binder; they are so proud of what they’ve colored and learned!
- Bible Reading Suggestion – weekly Bible reading to go along with your lesson
- Let’s Map It! We’ve included some Geography to complement your history lessons so students will begin to learn where the places are they are learning about. This optional activity is a great addition for upper elementary through high school.
- Timeline – I suggest you make or buy a timeline book to record major events. This is great for review and looking back at over the years. I like to write the date, event, and a picture to help me visually remember.
- World History Lesson – This volume is intended to be your complete history curriculum for one school year. We only do 4 lessons a week to allow the 5th day for co-ops, fieldtrips, extra activities, etc. For 23 weeks, there are four 1-2 page lessons to complete each week. Each printable page includes the lesson number, topic, and dates at the top followed by information to read together. New people, events, or vocabulary are in bold type. Sometimes cute clipart or a map will be included to engage learners. (More on lesson a little further down)
- Dig Deeper – At the end of each lesson are additional ideas, resources, video links, and more to help you learn more. It is up to you if you dig deeper or not. My kids loved the videos to “see” history and get a little more background information.
- Worksheets – There are various worksheets throughout to enhance the lesson. From cut and paste history timelines, to compare/contrast the Shang and Qin Dynasty and more.
- Weekly Quizzes – At the end of each week there is a quiz to review the highlights of what you learned together that week. You can do these together to review, as a typical quiz you grade, or not at all.
- Tests – There is a midsemester and an end of the year test that are more comprehensive. I use these to celebrate all they’ve learned. We circle CORRECT answers to show what we’ve learned! Anything they learn and retain is to be celebrated!
- Answer keys – All worksheets, quizes, and tests include an answer key to keep it simple for the teacher!
- History Coloring Pages – Each lesson has a coordinating coloring page to keep younger students engaged while learning about history
World History Homeschool Curriculum
The “meat” of Digging into World History is the lessons! Each lesson is 1-2 pages in length and includes easy-to-understand information about people, places, and events in World History. Important key terms are in bold to help train students to look for important information. When appropriate, cute history clipart and maps are included to add visual interest. After you read and discuss the history lesson you can watch a video, complete a worksheet, or choose an extra history activity to learn more if you have time and interest. Or leave the lesson at 20-30 minutes if you need a quick subject.
History Lesson Plan
Get ready for an exciting year of history as you learn about ancient civilizations like the Summerians, Babylonians, Assyrians, Persians, Han Dynasty in China, Golden Age of Greece, Mayans of MesoAmerica, Indus River Valley Civilization in India, Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, Ancient Egypt history and more. You will get to know famous historical figures like Attila the Hun, Julius Caesar, King Tut, Ramses II, Cleopatra, Hammurabi, Asoka, Scipio, Aristotle, Archimedes, Caesar Augustus, Herod the Great, Moses, Esther, and Artaxerxes. Discover famous places like the seven wonders of the ancient world, Roman baths, Acropolis, Roman aqueducts, Mayan temples, and the Silk Road. Learn about the Dead Sea Scrolls, Septuagint, mummies, types of columns, the Phoenician alphabet, cunniform writing, and purple dye from snails!
You will love the flexibility this program offers! There are only 4 lessons a week to give you flexibility in your schedule to add fieldtrips, fun history activities, or to work around a homeschool co-op or busy extra curricular day!
Homeschool World History
I like to visualize what I’m learning so adding Geography is a natural fit in my book. I’ve included maps for students to learn world geography that will enhance their study of world history. We like to practice by having kids drill on their own daily and have a weekly quiz. Then they review the 10 maps throughout the year to truly master the content.
- Ancient Civilizations Map (week 2)
- Ancient Egypt Map (week 3)
- Israel Map (week 4)
- Adding on to Middle East Map (week 5)
- Basic World Map (week 6)
- Indus River Valley Map (week 8)
- Mediterranean Map (week 9)
- Greece Map (week 12)
- China Map (week 17)
- Meso-America Map (week 23)
- Review Maps
Worksheets can be a great way for 4th grade, 5th garde, 6th grade, 7th grade, 8th grade, 9th grade, 10th grade, 11th grade, and 12 graders to better grasp and remember what they’ve learned. Some of the worksheets we’ve included are:
- Ancient Egyptian Hieroglphics Worksheet
- 12 Tribes of Israel Family Tree Worksheet
- The Dynasties of China Worksheet
- Match the Plagues of Egypt Worksheet
- Ancient Egypt Kingdoms
- Cut and Paste World History Timeline Review
- Compare / Contrast Elijah and Elisha
- Social Classes of India Worksheet
- Chronological List of Prophets in the Old Testament
- Aesop Fable and Moral Worksheet
- Types of Columns Worksheet
- Fullfillment of Messianic Prophesies Worksheet
- The Miracles of Jesus Crossword Puzzle
- and more!
World History Tests
For older students, weekly quizes and semester tests can be an effective tool in seeing how much they have learned. Whether you choose to do them open book, as a group, or have students study and take the test weekly – the choice is yours. But we’ve provided the resource along with an answer key for each of them to quickly correct.
History Coloring Pages
Our Digging into World History Coloring Pages are a great addition to your homeschool history curriculum. Use it with our lessons for younger siblings to visually remember what they’ve learned or as a stand-alone way to learn about 100 different events in World History from Creation to the Fall of the Western Roman Empire.
World History Coloring Page
Each coloring page includes information about the historical event and a memorable picture to color. I like to save all the pages and put them in a binder to create a world history coloring book of sorts to remember what we’ve learned!
Digging Into World History Volume 1
Ready to make history simple and fun as you teach all your K12 students world history together? Here are your options:
- Digging Into World History Volume 1 – includes a whole year of history lessons covering Creation to the Fall of the Roman Empire, worksheets, weekly quizes, mapping activities, tests, and answer keys
- History Coloring Pages – 100 pages of history coloring pages that coordinate with Digging into World History Volume 1. This handy printable resource covers Creation to the Fall of the Roman Empire while providing very simplified text and memorable images to color to stay engaged with family history lessons.
- BUNDLE our Digging into World History Volume 1 AND the coordinating World History Coloring Pages to save $$