This Westward Expansion Reader is a great way to work on reading skills while learning about how the US expanded west into the Louisiana Territory and beyond. Add this westward expansion printables to your westward expansion lesson as part of an American history study for preschool, pre k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, and 5th graders. Simply print the westward expansion summary for kids to read, color, and learn about US history of the 1800s.
Westward Expansion for Kids
Help children learn about westward expansion for kids with these free printable readers to read, color, and learn! Included in the westward expansion printables is information about Lewis and Clark expedition, sacagawea, the Oregon Trail, wagons, California Gold Rush, westward expansion timeline, railroad act, Battle of the Alamo, bison, and more! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this low-prep westward expansion activity for teaching students about the Wild West and the rapid growth in America! One of the easiest ways to help kids learn and remember is to have them read and study. This reader is a great introduction to the West for kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grdae 6 students.
Westward Expansion Printables
Westward expansion timeline
Westward expansion generally begins with the Lousina purchase in 1803 and ends around 1890 when the US was declared to be settled. Here is a basic overview of the major events in this period of history. See our printable book for more details about these important events in American history as well as details about common things like ghost towns, railroad, mining for gold, and more!
- 1803: Louisiana Purchase
- 1805: Lewis & Clark Expedition
- 1843: Great Migration via the Oregon Trail
- 1845: Texas Statehood
- 1847: Mormons Settle Utah
- 1848: California Gold Rush Begins
- 1850: California Statehood
- 1859: Oregon Statehood
- 1862: Homestead Act
- 1874: South Dakota Gold Rush
- 1889: Dakota Territory Statehood
- 1890: America Declared to Be Settled
Westward expansion summary
These mini books contain one cover page that children can decorate their own. After this, there are multiple pages all about the Westward Expansion to add behind this. While reading these books, children will learn about:
- The start of the Westward Expansion
- Lewis and Clark Expedition
- The Oregon Trail
- California Gold Rush
- Tools that miners used
- Pony Express Mail Service
- Railroad Act
- Building railroads
- Battle of Alamo
- American bison or buffalo
- My Thoughts
Westward expansion lesson plan
These two printable books are completely in blackline which is not only great for printing, but also a fun way for kids to get creative by decorating the images however they desire. Children can use crayons, markers, colored pencils, gel pens, etc. to color in their books.
There are two different books, with one book being a more simple version of the other. This one is aimed at younger children, while the more in-depth one is aimed at older children. Extra pages for children to write on could also be added, after reading books and researching more on this topic.
This printable pack comes in black and white only.
- Lewis and clark for kids – Start out the way with wild west did with the journey of Louis and Clark after the Lousiana Purchase in 1803.
- Oregon Trail for Kids – learn about the dangerous Oregon Trail and make a salt dough map, covered wagon model, and learn how hard life was for settlers traveling west.
- Pony Express for Kids plus the gold rush and first transcontinental rail road are just a few of the fun topics explores in this final week of our wild west for kids unit!
- Free Wild West Worksheets – over 70 pages of math and liteacy skills for kids 2-7 years old with a fun cowboy theme! Perfect to do alongside this history lesson and to keep younger siblings engaged at the same time
- Oregon Trail Skip Counting Game allows children to practice skip counting with a fun themed activity
- Westward Expansion Flip Book
- Dig in to history with this engaging, Wild West History Sensory Bin ideas
- Geography is Fun with a Salt Dough Map – learn about US geography and features as you mark the path the westward travelers too
- Westward Expansion for Kids Book to read, color, and learn!
History Lessons for Kids
Check out one of or MANY engaging, Free history lessons for kids or go to American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- Digging into World History Curriculum for the whole family to learn together!
- Dive into Mesopotamia History to learn about Gilgamesh
- Learn about Ancient Egypt Activities, crafts, lessons, worksheets, ancient egypt free printables, and more!
- Ancient Civlizations of MesoAmerica: Who Were the Ancient Maya People Readers, Inca Facts Reader, and Aztecs for Kids Reader
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- Learn about castles, knights, and more in this exciting Middle Ages for Kids
- Make a teepee, dig for arrowheads, color our printable books and more in this Native Americans for Kids lessons
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Civil War for Kids – students will learn about slavery, famous Americans from the Civil War, famous battles, and how our nation stayed together. Lesson includes printable worksheets, mapping activities, printable civil war board game and more!
- Famous Explorers for Kids Reader – discovering America
- Jamestown Color & Read Jamestown worksheeds pdf
- Revolutionary War Reader – american revolutionary easy reading
- Read, Color & Learn War of 1812 worksheet pdf
- Westward Expansion Reader westward expansion worksheet pdf
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Titanic for Kids Reader to Color and Learn
- World War 1 Coloring Pages to color, read, and learn
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- 1930s for Kids – Printable Book about the Golden age of Hollywood, Great Depression for Kids and more to read, color, and learn
- Life in the 1940s America for Kids Reader
- WW2 Printables to read, color, and learn about World War 2
- Learn about the trading of goods that began in 1941 with this Columbian Exchange for Kids printable reader.
- Anne Frank Facts for Kids Printable Reader to read, color, and learn about this Jewish girl who lived behind the wall in Holland during World War 2
- 1950s for Kids Reader to Color, Learn and read about what life was like in America in 1950
- Rosa Parks Worksheets pdf – Free Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Life in the 1960s for Kids Printable book to read, color and learn about life in the 1960s
- Learn about platform shoes, disco, the beginning of Star Wars and more with this 1970s for kids Reader
- 1980s for Kids Printable American History Reader
- 1990s for Kids Printable Reader filled with information about fashion, technology, Presidents, and more!
- Learn about life for early 2000s Kids with these american history printables to read, color, and learn!
- Review what you’ve leanred with these American History Worksheets (Notebooking)
American History for Kids
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables and resources:
- Free Presidents of the United States for Kids
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Voting for Kids – How Americans elect a new president
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- United States I Spy Worksheets
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Fireworks Patriotic Craft
- 50 States Worksheets
Geography for Kids
Looking for more resources and free worksheets to teach students about geography for kids? You will love these coloring sheets, printable maps, books, activities and games:
- Grab this realistic looking Free Printable Passport for Kids
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Kids can research to learn about other countries with these country worksheets.
- Around the World I Spy Worksheets – learn about 36 countries
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- Geography Treasure Hunt Activity
- Landforms Worksheets pdf free
- Snap Geography Games for Kids
- Read, Color and Learn about other countries with FREE country studies including: Vietnam For Kids and Greece for Kids and Peru for Kids and Kenya for Kids and Israel for Kids, plus many more!
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
Other Resources you will like:
- Fun Clock Mazes are a free printable Telling Time Games
America in the 1800s
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (to share please direct others to this post to grab their own set) For classroom use please purchase a licensed version here.
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
>> Westward Expansion Book <<
Leave a Reply