Learning about the Civil War for kids is fun with these fun books, activities and tons of free printables including Civil War Worksheets and Civil War Games.
Civil War for Kids
While the Civil War deals with some hard issues, it is an important period of history for Americans to study. Students will learn about slavery, famous Americans from the Civil War, famous battles, and how our nation stood together. Because of the strides made during the Civil War slavery woudl be abolished, women would get the right to vote, and we would begin becoming a UNITED people.
Unlike our other history units that include a week-by-week lesson, I’ve included resources below. Because of the content this is not a one-size-fits-all history lesson. Grab the resources you like and dive into as much as your child is ready for.
Civil War Reader
To start out with, grab this FREE Civil War Reader to help your child learn some basic facts about the civil war. Your can print in color or black and white.
People of the Civil War Flipbook
Students will be fascinated to learn about these famous figured from this intense time in our American History. You can print this FREE People of the Civil War Flipbook in color or black and white.
Civil War Worksheets for Kids
Finally, assess what kids have learned about The Civil War with these FREE Civil War Worksheets that review key people, battles, vocabulary, terms, and ideas of the Civil War for kids.
FREE Civil War Board Game
Help kids learn about the Civil War while playing this fun, low prep, FREE Civil War Board Game that can be printed in color or black and white.
Online Civil War Resources
- Civil War in 4 Minutes (3rd-8th)
- Interactive Civil War Battles Map for Kids
- Civil War in 7 Minutes (for 6-8th)
- Gettysburg Address Video
- Civil war Battlefields
Recommended Civil War Books for Kids
History Lessons for Kids
Our fun, hands-on and engaging homeschool history include not only clever activities to make history fun and memorable, but FREE printable worksheets and games too!
- Mesopotamia History – learn about he cradle of civilization while making costumes, recipes, maps, their own wheeled transport replica, play the royal game of Ur, make raised reliefs, practice cuniform in clay, and construct their own zigurats!
- Early Explorers contains activities and printables to relive the adventures of early explorers for kids as they become a viking with Leif Erickson, sale around the world with Magellan, head to China with Marco Polo, discover the New World with Columbus, and more!
- Middle Ages for Kids. Build your own Medieval Castle, learn about the science of a catapult, dye silk, make peasant bread, find out the important roles of knights, make a bow and arrow, learn the origin of pretzels, making illuminated manuscripts, make artwork with egg paint and weaving simple tapestries .
- Native Americans for Kids – explore various tribes as you create free printable book, make PVC tent, totem poles, Indian fry bread, husk dolls, recreate an archeological dig with arrow heads, and more!
- Colonial America for Kids takes kids on a journey back to the first settlers in America – eat Gruel, makea Wattle & Daub house, create a tin lantern, write with a quill, make simple Johnny Cakes, make you own marbles, create traditional silhouette art projects, and more.
- American Revolution for Kids. In 4 units your students will learn what events lead up to the American Revolutionand famous figures will making dragon pistols, roll their own cartridges, working spy cipher, cold feet activity.
- What was the Westward Expanion? Hisotyr comes alive as they learn about the oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, and more with printables and activities like making a covered wagon, homemade crackers, how to square dance, pan for gold, and make a railroad project.
- Civil War for Kids We have recommendations for mapping and visiting famous battle sights nearby, printable civil war board game, make an informative emergent reader, create a flip book or people students should know, and complete some free printable Civil War worksheets.
- United States for Kids – we have worksheets, games, state coloring pages and more to make learning about the USA fun!
- Learn about the Children of the World and the countries they live in with our handy, FREE resources: country readers, map of the world for kids to print and label, a printable countries of the world coloring book.
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, grade 1 worksheets, second grade worksheets and more for K12. Plus see our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!