Learn all about the Sixties for kids with this American History for Kids reader for kids to color and learn! Learn about life in the 1960s with elementary age students from pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students. Simply print pdf file with 1960s for kids for kids to learn about life in the 60s while having fun coloring the cute pictures and learning about the birth of ‘Smiley,’ Barbie, and lava lamps.
1960s for Kids
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this low-prep activity for helping students learn about the 1960s. One of the easiest ways to help kids learn and remember is to have them read and study the people, the country and the way of life during this era. This american history for kids reader is a great introduction to the 1960s, JFK, lava lamps, Barbie and Ken, TV and the Presidents of the US during this decade. Use this 1960s for kids lesson with kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students.
The ‘Sixties’ was a decade of revolution, an era of protest. Changes in politics, music and society started in the U.S. before spreading throughout the world. Fashion trends included deep, dark colors, plaids, furs and hats, mini skirts and go-go boots. During the 1960s, most households had a television set. It was common for families to gather around the TV after dinner watching shows and catching up on events happening around the world. With the introduction of the TV, radio took on a different role. Portable radios and car radios provided news and music for those while on the go. In the 1960s, the hippie movement spread throughout the US and then the rest of the world. This movement started to form after the assassination of Kennedy. They advocated nonviolence and love. Their fashion and values had a major effect on popular music, television, film, literature and arts.
John F. Kennedy was the 35th President of the United States, making him the youngest ever elected President of the US. During his time as President, he helped take America out of recession, he signed the Equal Pay Act and he established the Peace Corps and so much more. He was assassinated at 12.30pm on November 22, 1963 while traveling in Texas with his wife.
On July 16, 1969, NASA sent three men, Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins, to the moon aboard Apollo 11. On July 20, Neil Armstrong became the first human to walk on the moon. Buzz followed Armstrong onto the moon, while Collins stayed in orbit around the moon. The Apollo 11 crew returned to Earth on July 24, 1969.
1960s worksheet pdf
These life in 1960 mini books contain one cover page that children can decorate their own. After this, there are multiple pages all about the 1960s to add behind this. While reading these books, children will learn about:
- the Sixties – the decade of revolution
- TV and radio
- JFK assassination
- Moon Landing
- Hippie Movement
- Smiley Face
- Martin Luther King Jr.’s speech
- Lava Lamps
- Presidents of the USA during this time
- Major Events
- Cost of Living
the 1960s for kids
These two books are completely in blackline which is not only great for printing, but also a fun way for kids to get creative by decorating the images however they desire. Children can use crayons, markers, colored pencils, gel pens, etc. to color in their books.
There are two different books, with one book being a more simple version of the other. This one is aimed at younger children, while the more in-depth one is aimed at older children. Extra pages for children to write on could also be added, after reading books and researching more on this topic.
This printable pack comes in black and white only.
History Lessons for Kids
Check out one of or MANY engaging, Free history lessons for kids
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- Dive into Mesopotamia History to learn about Gilgamesh
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- Learn about castles, knights, and more in this exciting Middle Ages for Kids
- Make a teepee, dig for arrowheads, color our printable books and more in this Native Americans for Kids lessons
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Civil War for Kids – students will learn about slavery, famous Americans from the Civil War, famous battles, and how our nation stayed together. Lesson includes printable worksheets, mapping activities, printable civil war board game and more!
- Learn about US States for Kids – state coloring pages, president coloring pages, state report forms, states and capital printables, and so much more!
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Titanic for Kids Reader to Color and Learn
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- 1930s for Kids – Printable Book about the Golden age of Hollywood, Great Depression for Kids and more to read, color, and learn
- Life in the 1940s America for Kids Reader
- Anne Frank for Kids Printable Reader to read, color, and learn about this Jewish girl who lived behind the wall in Holland during World War 2
- 1950s for Kids Reader to Color, Learn and read about what life was like in America in 1950
- Life in the 1960s for Kids Printable book to read, color and learn about life in the 1960s
- Learn about platform shoes, disco, the beginning of Star Wars and more with this 1970s for kids Reader
- 1980s for kids Reader to read, color, and learn!
- 1990s for Kids Printable Reader filled with information about fashion, technology, Presidents, and more!
- Learn about life for early 2000s Kids with these american history printables to read, color, and learn!
- Review what you’ve leanred with these American History Worksheets (Notebooking)
Geography for Kids
- Grab this realistic looking Free Printable Passport for Kids
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Kids can research to learn about other countries with these country worksheets.
- Around the World I Spy Worksheets – learn about 36 countries
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- Geography Treasure Hunt Activity
- Landforms Worksheets pdf free
- Snap Geography Games for Kids
- Read, Color and Learn about other countries with FREE country studies including: Vietnam For Kids and Greece for Kids and Peru for Kids and Kenya for Kids and Israel for Kids, plus many more!
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to France Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Mexico Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, Japan Coloring Pages, Canada Coloring Pages, Puerto Rico Coloring Pages, Brazil Coloring Pages, Kenya Coloring Pages, and Philippines Coloring Pages
United States Lesson for Kids
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables and resources:
- Free Presidents of the United States for Kids
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Voting for Kids – How Americans elect a new president
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- United States I Spy Worksheets
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Fireworks Patriotic Craft
- 50 States Worksheets
kids in 1960s
By using rseources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (to share please direct others to this post to grab their own set) For classroom use please purchase a licensed version here.
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
>> 1960s Reader <<
>> 60s Reader – SIMPLE <<