Learn all about the Nineties for kids with this American History for Kids reader for kids to color and learn! Learn about life in the 1990s with elementary age students from pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students. Simply print pdf file with 1990s for kids for kids to learn about life in the 90s while having fun coloring the cute pictures and learning about 90s’ fashion, U.S. Presidents, Furby and the technological changes with computers and flip phones, and more!
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this low-prep activity for helping students learn about the 1990s. One of the easiest ways to help kids learn and remember is to have them read and study the people, the country and the way of life during this era. This american history for kids reader is a great introduction to the 1990s fashion, flip phones, computer advances, video game, and the Presidents of the US during this decade. Use this 1990s for kids lesson with kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students.
Life in the 1990s
Life in the 90s
These life in 1990 mini books contain one cover page that children can decorate their own. After this, there are multiple pages all about the 1990s to add behind this. While reading these books, children will learn about:
- the Nineties
- Hubble Space Telescope
- Year 2000 / Y2K Bug
- Game Boy
- Flip Phones
- The Presidents of the US
- Major Events
- Cost of Living
American History for Kids
The 90s was a decade of technological changes. Many great movies, television shows such as Friends, and music was also released. New and interesting dance moves were born, and the fast-food scene grew. The ‘90s saw the computer industry rise to a point where they are now an integral part of our lives. During this decade, HTML, internet, and Google were introduced. In 1998 Apple produced a one-piece, high speed iMac with a colored back. There were five different colors to choose from.
The Year 2000 Problem or Y2KBug was a computer problem that caused many people to panic. Many computers had been made to handle years only containing two digits, for example, ‘92 instead of 1992. People were afraid that the computer would confuse the year 2000, with the year 1900 as both would be written as 00. Concerns were that many industries such as electricity and financial services would stop working at midnight, January 1, 2000. Though, no big computer failures actually occurred when the time changed.
Furby was a talkative, robotic toy that was originally released in 1998. The words it spoke were translated into 24 different languages. The Tamagotchi is an electronic toy pet. Created in 1996, users would care for these digital pets, cleaning up after them, feeding them and playing with them. If these pets were neglected, they would get sick or even die. Millions of these handheld devices were sold during the 1990s.
During the 1990s, the development of game consoles increased. A popular handheld game system during this decade was the Game Boy. Hundreds of games were released during the production of the Game Boy, with Super Mario Land, Tetris, and Legend of Zelda being the most popular ones. Later systems were released by Nintendo including the Game Boy Pocket and the Game Boy Advance.
New digital technology in the 1990s, paved the way for faster, more reliable and smaller mobile phones. In the late ‘90s, flip phones became popular, though their dominance relinquished by the mid-2000s. The motion of flipping the phone to answer a call and closing it to hang up was seen as cool or hip. Created in 1996, the first flip phone released was the Motorola StarTac.
Fashion in the ‘90s consisted of braids, flannel shirts, jean overalls and flat shoes for women, while men wore baseball caps, jeans, bright and colorful t-shirts, sneakers and gold necklaces. The Hubble Space Telescope was launched on April 4, 1990. It was launched into low-earth orbit, by a team of astronauts to orbit around the Earth. It is named about Edwin Hubble, a famous astronomer, and allows astronomers to get a better view of objects in outer space. It sends back a huge amount of data and images of everything in space.
George H.W. Bush became the 41st President of the US on January 21, 1989 and served until January 20, 1993. He is known for being the president during the Persian Gulf War. The Cold War also ended while he was president and the Soviet Union also fell apart. He was known for having to go back on his promise of ‘no new taxes.’ The 42nd President of the United States was Bill Clinton. He served from 1993 to 2001. During his terms, Clinton appointed many women to top government roles, kept the unemployment rates low, and had a budget surplus. He was impeached in 1998, though was acquitted by the Senate.
Nineties for kids
These two books are completely in blackline which is not only great for printing, but also a fun way for kids to get creative by decorating the images however they desire. Children can use crayons, markers, colored pencils, gel pens, etc. to color in their books.
There are two different books, with one book being a more simple version of the other. This one is aimed at younger children, while the more in-depth one is aimed at older children. Extra pages for children to write on could also be added, after reading books and researching more on this topic.
History Lessons for Kids
Check out one of or MANY engaging, Free history lessons for kids
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- Dive into Mesopotamia History to learn about Gilgamesh
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- Learn about castles, knights, and more in this exciting Middle Ages for Kids
- Make a teepee, dig for arrowheads, color our printable books and more in this Native Americans for Kids lessons
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Civil War for Kids – students will learn about slavery, famous Americans from the Civil War, famous battles, and how our nation stayed together. Lesson includes printable worksheets, mapping activities, printable civil war board game and more!
- Learn about US States for Kids – state coloring pages, president coloring pages, state report forms, states and capital printables, and so much more!
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Titanic for Kids Reader to Color and Learn
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- 1930s for Kids – Printable Book about the Golden age of Hollywood, Great Depression for Kids and more to read, color, and learn
- Life in the 1940s America for Kids Reader
- Anne Frank for Kids Printable Reader to read, color, and learn about this Jewish girl who lived behind the wall in Holland during World War 2
- 1950s for Kids Reader to Color, Learn and read about what life was like in America in 1950
- Life in the 1960s for Kids Printable book to read, color and learn about life in the 1960s
- Learn about platform shoes, disco, the beginning of Star Wars and more with this 1970s for kids Reader
- 1980s for kids Reader to read, color, and learn!
- 1990s for Kids Printable Reader filled with information about fashion, technology, Presidents, and more!
- Learn about life for early 2000s Kids with these american history printables to read, color, and learn!
- Review what you’ve leanred with these American History Worksheets (Notebooking)
United States Lesson for Kids
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables and resources:
- Free Presidents of the United States for Kids
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Voting for Kids – How Americans elect a new president
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- United States I Spy Worksheets
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Fireworks Patriotic Craft
- 50 States Worksheets
Geography for Kids
- Grab this realistic looking Free Printable Passport for Kids
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Kids can research to learn about other countries with these country worksheets.
- Around the World I Spy Worksheets – learn about 36 countries
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- Geography Treasure Hunt Activity
- Landforms Worksheets pdf free
- Snap Geography Games for Kids
- Read, Color and Learn about other countries with FREE country studies including: Vietnam For Kids and Greece for Kids and Peru for Kids and Kenya for Kids and Israel for Kids, plus many more!
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
1990s for Kids
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (to share please direct others to this post to download their own set) For classroom use please purchase a licensed version here.
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
>> 1990s Reader <<
>> 90s Reader – SIMPLE <<