Colonial America for Kids
Teach kids what life was like for America’s first early settlers with this fun, memorable, hands on Colonial America for Kids unit. We have fun, engaging colonial activities for kids and free printable colonial america worksheets in this 4 part lesson: Jamestown for kids, Pilgrims for Kids, Dutch and Sweeds for KIds, and William Penn for Kids. This american history for kids lesson is fun for pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students. You will love all the creative educational activities that make history come alive in our history lessons for kids.
Hands-on colonial america activities
Learn about early american settlers with this fun, hands-on colonial america for kids lesson for elementary age kids from kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students. Children will learn about wthe colonial era as they try hands-on colonial activities for kids and fill out colonial america worksheets. Kids will explore the homes, food, art, and differences in the original 13 colonies. Plus, this fun homeschool history lesson is FREE! I hope your family has fun learning about american colonial period together.
What is Colonial America
Colonial America was the time period when permanent settlements began in the newly discovered Americas. The vast land was settled by Spanish, Dutch, French and English immigrants. The British founded the first colony at Jamestown, Virginia, in 1607 which thrived for 100 years before it was abandoned for neighboring Williamsburg. But the settlement in North America is St. Augustine in Florida. On September 8, 1565, Spanish explorer Don Pedro Menendez de Aviles landed on the eastern coast of today’s Florida. Little by little, more and more settlers arrived to settle what would become the 13 colonies (New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia) – seeking religious freedom and an escape from persecution.
Colonial america for elementary students
There are 4 parts to this early american settlers for kids unit; make sure to click on each blue link to see more!
Start off our Colonial America for Kids history unit with a look at the first permanent English settlement in America – Jamestown. Lots of hand on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive. Also included are free worksheets, writing prompts, and book recommendations to round out your unit on Jamestown.
Don’t miss this FREE printable Jamestown Settlement for Kids Reader for kids to read, color, and learn!
This lesson is perfect for our lesson on Colonial America for Kids, but would also be fantastic in November when learning about the Pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving.
Kids will have fun making costumes, learning how Squanto taught the settlers to plant crops, writing with a quill, making Johnny Cakes, and making a traditional colonial toy – marbles! Round out your week with some great book recommendations and free colonial worksheets.
Learn about Dutch & Swedish settlers in America, make homemade butter, build a log cabin , read some fantastic historical fiction, and complete free colonial worksheets.
Dive into this weeks lesson as you learn about William Penn who founded Pennsylvania. Kids will enjoy making traditional silhouette art projects, a colonial punishment stock, and more as they learn about the Pennsylvania Dutch. Round out your week with some fantastic books and free colonial worksheets.
History Lessons for Kids
Check out one of or MANY engaging, Free history lessons for kids
- Dive into Mesopotamia History to learn about Gilgamesh and ancient Summerians
- These Ancient Egypt Activities are such a fun way to dive into this fascinating period of history with pyramids and mummies! We have readers, ancient egypt worksheets, heiroglyphic worksheets, crafts, recipes, mummy craft, diy papyrus paper, how was king tut murdered game, and more!
- Read, color and learn about Aztecs for Kids; you might also love these aztec worksheets, aztec activity, and aztec coloring pages
- Learn about the Inca Civilization with mini booklets, incan worksheets, and incas activity for kids
- Discover Medieval Times with castles, knights, and more in this exciting Middle Ages for Kids
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids (plus 13 famous european explorers minbooks to read color and learn!)
- Make a teepee, dig for arrowheads, color our printable books and more in this Native Americans for Kids lessons
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown for Kids Printable. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- Relive the exciting road to independence in this Revolutionary War for Kids unit with 4 lessons filled with activites, printables, and resources like this American Revolution Printable Books for kids to read, color, and learn!
- Learn about the War of 1812 for Kids as you read, color, and make your own booklet
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Civil War for Kids – students will learn about slavery, famous Americans from the Civil War, famous battles, and how our nation stayed together. Lesson includes printable worksheets, mapping activities, printable civil war board game and more!
- Learn about US States for Kids – state coloring pages, president coloring pages, state report forms, states and capital printables, and so much more!
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids and World War 1 for kids with this free printable book to read, color, and learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Titanic for Kids Reader to Color and Learn
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- 1930s for Kids – Printable Book about the Golden age of Hollywood, Great Depression for Kids and more to read, color, and learn
- Life in the 1940s America for Kids Reader, plus a World War 2 for Kids printable, and the Colombian Exchange
- Anne Frank for Kids Printable Reader to read, color, and learn about this Jewish girl who lived behind the wall in Holland during World War 2
- 1950s for Kids Reader to Color, Learn and read about what life was like in America in 1950
- Life in the 1960s for Kids Printable book to read, color and learn about life in the 1960s
- Learn about platform shoes, disco, the beginning of Star Wars and more with this 1970s for kids Reader
- 1980s for kids Reader to read, color, and learn!
- 1990s for Kids Printable Reader filled with information about fashion, technology, Presidents, and more!
- Learn about life for early 2000s Kids with these american history printables to read, color, and learn!
- Review what you’ve leanred with these American History Worksheets (Notebooking)
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, hands-on countries for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!