Teach kids what life was like for America’s first early settlers with this fun, memorable, hands on Colonial America for Kids unit. You will love all the creative educational activities that make history come alive in our History for Kids units.
Colonial America for Kids
This fun, hands-on unit will make it fun for elementary age kids to learn about what life was like for American early settlers. Kids will explore their homes, food, art, and differences in the original 13 colonies. Plus, this fun history unit is FREE! I hope your family has fun learning about history together.
1 – Jamestown
Start off our Colonial America for Kids history unit with a look at the first permanent English settlement in America – Jamestown. Lots of hand on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive. Also included are free worksheets, writing prompts, and book recommendations to round out your unit on Jamestown.
2 – Pilgrims
This lesson is perfect for our lesson on Colonial America for Kids, but would also be fantastic in November when learning about the Pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving.
Kids will have fun making costumes, learning how Squanto taught the settlers to plant crops, writing with a quill, making Johnny Cakes, and making a traditional colonial toy – marbles! Round out your week with some great book recommendations and free colonial worksheets.
3 – Dutch & Sweeds
Learn about Dutch & Swedish settlers in America, make homemade butter, build a log cabin , read some fantastic historical fiction, and complete free colonial worksheets.
Dive into this weeks lesson as you learn about William Penn who founded Pennsylvania. Kids will enjoy making traditional silhouette art projects, a colonial punishment stock, and more. Round out your week with some fantastic books and free colonial worksheets.
History Lessons for Kids
Our fun, hands-on and engaging homeschool history include not only clever activities to make history fun and memorable, but FREE printable worksheets and games too!
- Mesopotamia History – learn about he cradle of civilization while making costumes, recipes, maps, their own wheeled transport replica, play the royal game of Ur, make raised reliefs, practice cuniform in clay, and construct their own zigurats!
- Early Explorers contains activities and printables to relive the adventures of early explorers for kids as they become a viking with Leif Erickson, sale around the world with Magellan, head to China with Marco Polo, discover the New World with Columbus, and more!
- Middle Ages for Kids. Build your own Medieval Castle, learn about the science of a catapult, dye silk, make peasant bread, find out the important roles of knights, make a bow and arrow, learn the origin of pretzels, making illuminated manuscripts, make artwork with egg paint and weaving simple tapestries .
- Native Americans for Kids – explore various tribes as you create free printable book, make PVC tent, totem poles, Indian fry bread, husk dolls, recreate an archeological dig with arrow heads, and more!
- Colonial America for Kids takes kids on a journey back to the first settlers in America – eat Gruel, makea Wattle & Daub house, create a tin lantern, write with a quill, make simple Johnny Cakes, make you own marbles, create traditional silhouette art projects, and more.
- American Revolution for Kids. In 4 units your students will learn what events lead up to the American Revolutionand famous figures will making dragon pistols, roll their own cartridges, working spy cipher, cold feet activity.
- What was the Westward Expanion? Hisotyr comes alive as they learn about the oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, and more with printables and activities like making a covered wagon, homemade crackers, how to square dance, pan for gold, and make a railroad project.
- Civil War for Kids We have recommendations for mapping and visiting famous battle sights nearby, printable civil war board game, make an informative emergent reader, create a flip book or people students should know, and complete some free printable Civil War worksheets.
- United States for Kids – we have worksheets, games, state coloring pages and more to make learning about the USA fun!
- Learn about the Children of the World and the countries they live in with our handy, FREE resources: country readers, map of the world for kids to print and label, a printable countries of the world coloring book.
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, grade 1 worksheets, second grade worksheets and more for K12. Plus see our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!