Help kids learn what life in the 50s was like with this free history printables that explores the 1950s for Kids. From Elvis Presley, jukeboxes, soda shops, sock hop, Rosa Parks, poodle skirts, and famous inventions like Mr. Potato Head, frisbees, white out, micro chips, Barbie, and more – this life in the 50s make history for kids fun as they color, read, and learn about American History for kids. Use this life in the 1950s resource with pre k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students.
Life in the 50s
Did you ever hear your grandma say that things sure have changed from when she was little? Well, they really have changed from life in the 50s! Perhaps you were lucky enough to learn history from someone who actually lived it, but if not don’t worry. We’ve got a fun history printable for kids for you to learn what life in the 1950s was like. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this low-prep activity for helping students learn about the 1950s. One of the easiest ways to help kids learn and remember is to have them read and study the people, the country and the way of life during this era. This american history for kids reader is a great introduction to Elvis Presley, jukeboxes, soda shops, sock hop, Rosa Parks, poodle skirts, and famous inventions like Mr. Potato Head, frisbees, white out, micro chips, Barbie, and the Presidents of the US during this decade. Use this 1950s for kids lesson with kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students.
Life in the 1950s
First, you will need to print the pack. Now simply print the black and white pages on plain printer paper and cut the pages in half before stapling the book together.
1950s for Kids
he history reader also includes the following:
- fashion trends – poodle skirts, loafers, hats, gloves, leather jackets
- drive in movie theatre
- popular television shows like: I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, The Twilight Zone and Leave It To Beaver.
- Movie theatres with actors like John Wayne, James, Stuart, Charlton Heston, Marlon Brando, Grace Kelly, Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin, and Elizabeth Taylor
- What is the sock hop, jitterbug, and more
- Harry Truman & Dwight D Eisenhower presidencies
- cost of living – average cost of new home was $8,450!
- Major events like the first credit card, Korean War, role of double helix DNA, May 17, 1954 Brown vs. Board of Education , first successful living organ transplant (kidney), Disneyland opens in California, Elvis on The Ed Sullivan Show, the Soviet’s launch first artificial satellite Sputnik, and NASA founded on July 29, 1958.
- Diners to grab burgers, fries, soda
- Servers delivering food to drive in movies or drive in restaurants on roller skates
- Soda Shops where teens would grab a refreshing soda fountain drink and play Elvis Presley, Sam Cooke, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, and Buddy Holly on the juke box while dancing to The Platters and The Drifters
- December 1, 1955, the modern civil rights movement began when Rosa Parks, an African-American woman, was arrested for refusing to give up her seat and move to the back of the bus in Montgomery, Alabama
- Inventions such as optic fiber, micro chips, Barbie, Mr. Potato Head, the frisbee, black box flight recorder, and more
American History for Kids
There are 2 versions of the history printables for kids: the version with more text/information and a simplified version with tracer lines to trace key vocabulary. Pick the one that works best for your children and print the pages.
The pages are in black and white to save on printing costs. Now cut each page in half and stack them up in the order you like with the cover page on top. Now staple the book along the left side over the 2 black staple spots.
Hint: Feel free to read through the pages before you staple them so you can put them in the order you prefer.
I encourage you to have students decorate their books first, it helps avoid kids being distracted when you read them later. So have children colour the cute clipart and images in your 1950s book for kids using crayons, markers, colored pencils, or any other favorite art material.
When you are done, read the pages together to learn about what life was like in the 1950s.
In the 1950s the economy was soaring, families were moving out to the suburbs, there was a baby boom, and most families were watching television on 12 inch black and white TV sets. The man of the household became the sole breadwinner and women took care of the home and children; families began buying more and more ready-made goods. Times were gentler, with little violence, and milk still being delivered to the doorstep.
History Lessons for Kids
Check out one of or MANY engaging, Free history lessons for kids
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- Dive into Mesopotamia History to learn about Gilgamesh
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- Learn about castles, knights, and more in this exciting Middle Ages for Kids
- Make a teepee, dig for arrowheads, color our printable books and more in this Native Americans for Kids lessons
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Civil War for Kids – students will learn about slavery, famous Americans from the Civil War, famous battles, and how our nation stayed together. Lesson includes printable worksheets, mapping activities, printable civil war board game and more!
- Learn about US States for Kids – state coloring pages, president coloring pages, state report forms, states and capital printables, and so much more!
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Titanic for Kids Reader to Color and Learn
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- WW1 for Kids Printable to read, color, or Learn. (World War I Flip Book)
- 1930s for Kids – Printable Book about the Golden age of Hollywood, Great Depression for Kids and more to read, color, and learn
- Life in the 1940s America for Kids Reader
- Anne Frank for Kids Printable Reader to read, color, and learn about this Jewish girl who lived behind the wall in Holland during World War 2
- 1950s for Kids Reader to Color, Learn and read about what life was like in America in 1950
- Life in the 1960s for Kids Printable book to read, color and learn about life in the 1960s
- Learn about platform shoes, disco, the beginning of Star Wars and more with this 1970s for kids Reader
- 1980s for kids Reader to read, color, and learn!
- 1990s for Kids Printable Reader filled with information about fashion, technology, Presidents, and more!
- Learn about life for early 2000s Kids with these american history printables to read, color, and learn!
- Review what you’ve leanred with these American History Worksheets (Notebooking)
Geography for Kids
Looking for more resources and free worksheets to teach students about geography for kids? You will love these coloring sheets, printable maps, books, activities and games:
- Grab this realistic looking Free Printable Passport for Kids
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Kids can research to learn about other countries with these country worksheets.
- Around the World I Spy Worksheets – learn about 36 countries
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- Geography Treasure Hunt Activity
- Landforms Worksheets pdf free
- Snap Geography Games for Kids
- Read, Color and Learn about other countries with FREE country studies including: Vietnam For Kids and Greece for Kids and Peru for Kids and Kenya for Kids and Israel for Kids, plus many more!
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
United States Lesson for Kids
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables and resources:
- Free Presidents of the United States for Kids
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Voting for Kids – How Americans elect a new president
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- United States I Spy Worksheets
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Fireworks Patriotic Craft
- 50 States Worksheets
- State Animals USA Printables Scavenger Hunt
- United States Scavenger Hunt of State Birds
- FREE USA State Flowers Scavenger Hunt Printables for Kids
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (to share please direct others to this post to grab their own set) For classroom use please purchase a licensed version here.
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
Leave a Reply