Learn about cells for kids with this outraeously fun jello cell model. As kids make this edible cell project they will be learning about biology with a hands-on science activity that will help kids remember and make sense of animal cells and human body cells too. This cell project is fun for kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 6th grade, junior high, and high school students too! We love using food science projects to make leraning more fun like this candy cell model!
Jello Cell Model
Science has become the most anticipated subject in our homeschool this year. And as a homeschool mom there isn’t much better than seeing your kids excited about learning! Since not all homeschoolers are very comfortable with or excited about Science (I have to admit that was me), I wanted to share some of the home school Science fun we’ve been having to inspire and encourage you! We’ve been making edible Jello Cell Model to learn about the cells in our body. This edible cell project is such a fun hands-on science activity for kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, grade 6, jr high and senior high too! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this fun cell project where students will make a candy cell model as a human body project for kids.
Edible Cell Project
One of our favorite hands on Science activity so far has been making a jello animal cell. First we learned what cells do and their structure. Then we built a candy cell model with candy we had laying around. (Note: This is a great kids activity to use of the extra Halloween candy!)
You can use any flavor Jell-O or candy for your animal cells project, but here is what we used and is pictured above.
- Cytoplasm – Green Jell-O
- Endoplasmic Reticulum – Licorice
- Vacuole – Whopper
- Lysosome – M&Ms
- Goigi Apparatus – Banana taffy
- Ribosomes – Sprinkles
- Mitochondrion – mini Tootsie Roll
- Nucleus – Pear & Jaw Breaker (a peach would work great, but we ate ours for snack instead)
Candy cell model
We hope you enjoy this jello animal cell as much as we did!
Human Body Activities
- Grab this free printable 5 senses preschool printables to explore the senses of sight, taste, sound, smell, and touch
- Human Body human body playdough mats – lots of choices to learn about various systems of the body including simple for preschoolers, skeletal system, organs, muscles, nerves, and more!
- Teach kids about human cells for kids with hands on activities, free printable reader, human cell worksheets, and more!
- Human Body Printables makes a printable book that teaches students all about their heart, brain, muscles, cells, skin, bones, lungs, stomach, intestines, and bladder
- 4 EPIC Skeletal System Project ideas for kids – using things like pasta, life saver gummies, lego, and more you can learn about the human body in a fun memorable way
- Free Skeletal System Worksheets for Kids – everything you need to teach kids about their bodies!
- Kids will love learning about the ear with this model of ear for school project
- Amazing 5 Senses for kids lesson to explore with hands on activities, videos, books, and more!
- Try this Jelly Bean sense of taste activities for preschool experiment.
- Kids will be amazed by these eye science experiments
- Huge pack of 5 Senses Worksheets to explore the senses and sneak in some math and literacy activities too
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project
- See all of our hands-on ideas to make learning about the human body for kids FUN and more creative printable science experiments for all ages
Science for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments for kids – arranged by type of science
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on Science experiments with batteries
- 24 Epic Solar system science projects to try this week
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments the whole family will want to try
- Simple Galaxy science project
- Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane
- Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure science project
- Amazing POP rocks science experiment is one of our all-time favorite science experiments we like to do during the summer are
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers are so pretty you’ll forget it was as science project!
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- 30 Simple machines science projects kids will want to try
- Easy, fascinating, and colorful project answering Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment