Learn about cells for kids with this outraeously fun jello cell model. As kids make this edible cell project they will be learning about biology with a hands-on science activity that will help kids remember and make sense of animal cells and human body cells too. This cell project is fun for kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 6th grade, junior high, and high school students too! We love using food science projects to make leraning more fun like this candy cell model!
Animal cell project
Science has become the most anticipated subject in our homeschool this year. And as a homeschool mom there isn’t much better than seeing your kids excited about learning! Since not all homeschoolers are very comfortable with or excited about Science (I have to admit that was me), I wanted to share some of the home school Science fun we’ve been having to inspire and encourage you! We’ve been making edible Jello Cell Model to learn about the cells in our body. This edible cell project is such a fun hands-on science activity for kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, grade 6, jr high and senior high too! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this fun cell project where students will make a candy cell model as a human body project for kids.
Jello cell model
One of our favorite hands on Science activity so far has been making a jello animal cell. First we learned what cells do and their structure. Then we built a candy cell model with candy we had laying around. (Note: This is a great kids activity to use of the extra Halloween candy!)
Edible cell project
You can use any flavor Jell-O or candy for your animal cells project, but here is what we used and is pictured above.
- Cytoplasm – Green Jell-O
- Endoplasmic Reticulum – Licorice
- Vacuole – Whopper
- Lysosome – M&Ms
- Goigi Apparatus – Banana taffy
- Ribosomes – Sprinkles
- Mitochondrion – mini Tootsie Roll
- Nucleus – Pear & Jaw Breaker (a peach would work great, but we ate ours for snack instead)
Candy cell model
We hope you enjoy this jello animal cell as much as we did!
Human Body Activities
- Grab this free printable 5 senses preschool printables to explore the senses of sight, taste, sound, smell, and touch
- Human Body human body playdough mats – lots of choices to learn about various systems of the body including simple for preschoolers, skeletal system, organs, muscles, nerves, and more!
- Teach kids about human cells for kids with hands on activities, free printable reader, human cell worksheets, and more!
- Human Body Printables makes a printable book that teaches students all about their heart, brain, muscles, cells, skin, bones, lungs, stomach, intestines, and bladder
- 4 EPIC Skeletal System Project ideas for kids – using things like pasta, life saver gummies, lego, and more you can learn about the human body in a fun memorable way
- Free Skeletal System Worksheets for Kids – everything you need to teach kids about their bodies!
- Kids will love learning about the ear with this model of ear for school project
- Amazing 5 Senses for kids lesson to explore with hands on activities, videos, books, and more!
- Try this Jelly Bean sense of taste activities for preschool experiment.
- Kids will be amazed by these eye science experiments
- Huge pack of 5 Senses Worksheets to explore the senses and sneak in some math and literacy activities too
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project
- See all of our hands-on ideas to make learning about the human body for kids FUN and more creative printable science experiments for all ages
Fun Science Experiments
- 30 Simple Machines for Kids Experiments
- Launch this experiment and record your findings with this Coke and mentos experiment worksheet
- Lots of FUN Solar System Project Ideas for kids
- Printable Solar System Worksheets (free) or planet worksheets for kindergarten
- Grab these free printable solar system coloring pages
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable body parts
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments – arranged by type of science
- Free Printable Human Body for Kids Playdough Mats
- Leak proof bag fun science experiments
- Older students can dive deeper with these free skeletal system worksheet pages
- Amazing Why do leaves change color experiment
- Learn about seasons with this cool free 4 seasons printables
- Animals and their Babies matching puzzles
- Take a closer look at animals with this free printable animal report for for kids
Science Exeriments for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- Weather Unit for prek-3rd graders filled with experiments, activities and weather worksheets
- Make it rain and write your observations in these cloud in a jar experiment worksheet
- Learn about our moon with these activities and moon worksheets for 1st grade
- Free Water Cycle Worksheets for kids
- Discover a world of geology with these rock worksheets for kids
- Free printable states of matter activity with clip cards
- Discover what lies below the surface with these free Layers of Earth Worksheets
- Make playdough earth layers with this super cool geology experiment for kids
- LOTS of year-round Science Experiments for Kids
- Kids will love this outrageously fun pipe clean constellations activity
- This look inside a volcano experiment for kids takes learning to a whole new level
- Chromatography Butterflies project for kids
- Learn about the kingdom Animalia with over 20 Zoo Scavenger Hunt free printables
- Harness the power of fruit with this simple Lemon Clock for kids
- Easy Bernoulli’s principle experiment at home
- Amaze kids with this simple burning candle experiment with free worksheets
Easy Science Experiments
- Gross and so cool Digestive System Project for kids of all ages
- Amazing Rainbow in a Jar Experiment for Kids
- Epic Baking Soda and Vinegar Rocket Experiment
- Cool Milk and Vinegar Expeirment making plastic!
- Learn about your amazing brain with this activity and brain worksheets
- How do hands work project for kids
- Super cool and easy-to-make, working lego balloon car
- Plants for kids lesson
- Explore magnets with these EPIC magnet experiments for kids
- Popsicle Stick Catapult for kids – simple STEM project
- Simple light bulb experiment (it actually lights up!)
- Easy-to-make balloon hoovercraft
- Bouncy Eggs and eggs in vinegar experiment worksheet
- Learn about density for kids with these simple balloon solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities
- Create your own super simple bot
- Beautiful, color changing capillary action experiment with flowers
- WOW your kids with how to make a Newton’s cradle project
- Heat-sensitive, Color Changing Slime is SO COOL!