Whether you are diving into an astronomy unit in your homeschool / classroom or your child just has a natural curiosity about space, here are 24 EPIC Solar System Projects for kids. These solar system project ideas are perfect for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students. Whether you want to make a solar system project out of fruit, playdough, bottle caps, yarn, clothespins, snow globe, or more – we’ve got the most creative solar system activities to make learning abou tthe plants in our solar system FUN for kids. So pick you favorite solar system craft and make the solar system for kids come alive!
Solar System Projects for Kids
As I was looking for ideas for our upcoming solar system unit I decided to browse around pinterest to get some inspiration. WOW! There are such creative people out there! With such a plethora of super creative and fun solar system projects for kids, I just had to make a round up to share these creative Solar system project ideas with all of you. Whether you are looking for a solar system for kids projects for preschoolers, kindergartners, or elementary age students in grade 1, grade 2, grade 2, grade 4, grade 5, or grade 6 – you will love these fun ideas. This is a growing list of solar system projects so you can get inspired and pick the best solar system project for kids all in one place.
Solar system project ideas
These easy solar system project suggestions are perfect for parents, teachers, or homeschooler to make the solar system interseting for kids and kick-start your solar system for kids lesson!
Tap Light Planets from Play at Home Mom 3. I love how this project will light up your childs room and serve as an educational night light.
Make the Solar System out of Food like Creative Kid Snacks. This adorable science snack idea is not only educational, but healthy too.
Make practicing the names of the planets and the order of the planets from the sun with this easy to make Paint Stick Solar System Project. I love that there is an activity to this clever, unique science project for kids.
Planets Snowglobe from Red Ted Art. This science craft is such a creative way for kids to learn about the planets in our solar system and review day after day.
Solar System Brownies from Almost Unschoolers. This easy-to-make and yummy solar system project is sure to be a favorite of kids for years to come.
Paper Mache Planets from At Home with Ali. This inexpensive, DIY planet project uses baloons and paper mache to create a beautiful science project.
Playdough Solar System from Childhood Beckons. This project is simple to make as it uses a tactile material you probably already have on hand! This is a science project you can make and remake over and over again.
Solar System Button Craft from Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational. If you have a stash of buttons you aren’t sure what to do with, this solar system planet project is just what you are looking for. Have your child repeat the planet names over and over again to help them retain the knowledge.
Felt Solar System from Counting Coconuts. For your crafty students, they will enjoy making their own solar system with just a little bit of sewing. This is a great activity to improve cordination and fine motor skills too.
Yarn Solar System from Art for Little Hands. This project combines yarn and paper mache to make really cool looking planets to display in your homeschool room.
Even preschoolers can help make these shaggy Yarn Planet balls There is no messy paper mache in this projects. Just wrapping and cutting to create planets you can hang or toss around.
Yarn Wrapped Planets from And Next Comes L. Yet another fun yarn project is an easy science craft for toddler, prek, and kindergarten age kids to complete. Plus it is great for using up random yarn pieces too.
This chalk planet project is an easy to make project to make today. Plus don’t miss the fun solar system game to help teach kids planet names, planet rotation, and time for the planets to get around the sun.
Plastic Lid Solar System from Still Playing School. I love how this project reuses plastic lids you probably have on hand from your weekly garbage.
Lego Solar System from Kitchen Counter Chronicles. Kids love making creations with Lego! This project allows kids to use their creativity and STEM to make their own brick solar system project. Have one child make the entire solar system or work together by having each child make a different planet.
Solar System Poster from Crafts n Coffee. Pop over to Joann Fabrics, Michaels, or Hobby Lobby and grab some different shaped foam balls to make this super cute solar system project perfect for a science fair board.
Solar System Mobile from Taming the Goblin. This solar system is not only fun to make, but great for hanging up in your homeschool room to remind your students about the planets.
Marble Solar System for Play from I Can Teach My Child. Do you have marbles laying around from a marble run or jacks? You can quickly whip up this creative solar system.
Hanger Solar System from Crafts and Coffee. Another creative idea for a hanging solar system for kids you can hang in your childs room.
Solar System Projects for Kids
- Earth and Moon Revolving Around the Sun Brad Craft from Easy Preschool Craft
- Measuring the Distance Between the Planets from Beekers and Bumblebees Blog
- Buy Inflatable Planets
Solar System Activities
Looking for more fun, hands on science activities to teach kids about astronomy or to round out your solar system for kids unit. You will love these hands on solar system activities and lessons:
- The Sun for Kids
- Moon for Kids & Astronauts Too
- Inner Planets for Kids (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars)
- Outer Planets for Kids (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune)
- Pluto, Asteroid Belt, Comets, and Stars
- Yarn Solar System
- Paint Stick Solar System Project
- Pipe Cleaner Constellations – fun hands on constellation activity for kids
- Simple Galaxy Science Project
- Looking for more fun, engaging, creative, and memorable moon projects for kids? You will love this 50 Moon Crafts & Activities for Kids collection with the best ideas from the whole internet!
- TONS of really cool Solar System Project Ideas for kids of all ages
Free Solar System Printables
Plus, don’t forget to add these free solar system worksheets and printables to your lesson plan:
- HUGE pack of Free Solar System Worksheets for elementary age kids
- Solar system worksheets for kindergarten with solar system themed math and literacy activities for preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students
- Simple Astronaut Coloring Pages
- Solar System Colouring Pages to read, learn, and color the solar system
- Printable Constellations Book for children to learn about stars and the patterns they make in the night sky
- Cootie Catcher Constellation Printable
- Free Constellation Flashcards
- Moon Phases Worksheets
- Planets Printable Book for students to learn about all the planets in our solar system
- Moon Phases Printable Mini Book for kids to learn about the phases of the moon
Looking for more fun, engaging, creative, and memorable moon projects for kids? You will love this 50 Moon Crafts & Activities for Kids collection with the best ideas from the whole internet!
Science for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments for kids – arranged by type of science
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on Science experiments with batteries
- 24 Epic Solar system science projects to try this week
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments the whole family will want to try
- Simple Galaxy science project
- Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane
- Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure science project
- Amazing POP rocks science experiment is one of our all-time favorite science experiments we like to do during the summer are
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers are so pretty you’ll forget it was as science project!
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- 30 Simple machines science projects kids will want to try
- Easy, fascinating, and colorful project answering Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment
- Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- 19 Edible science experiments – which delicious project will you try first?
- HUGE Free Solar System Unit (coloring pages, hands on science projects, worksheets, and more!)
- Pipe Cleaner Constellation Activity (As seen on Good Housekeeping!)
- Teach kids about conductivity with this fun squishy circuits projects
- Amazing, Heat Sensitive, Color Changing Slime
- Life Cycles for Kids (from penguin to sunflower and spider to turkey we have LOTS of life cycles to explore and learn about)
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment
- Kids will be amazed as you change colors of white flowers with this Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make
- Human Body Project
- Check out this super cool look INSIDE a Volcano Project
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Memorable Life Size Skeletal system science project – includes free printable template
- Find LOTS more Easy Science Experiments for kids of all ages!
- Money Math Games – lots of fun, clever, and FREE money games and activities for kids.
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!