Whether you are diving into an astronomy unit in your homeschool / classroom or your child just has a natural curiosity about space, here are 24 EPIC Solar System Projects your kids will love!
Solar System for Kids
If you are teaching children about the solar system, you don’t want to miss our hands-on science units. Each free homeschool unit is filled with creative, educational activities, free science printables, and information for preschool, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade, elementary, and junior high age kids. Perfect for teachers and parents to make learning fun and memorable.
- The Sun
- The Moon & Astronauts
- Inner Planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars)
- Outer Planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune)
- Pluto, Asteroid Belt, Comets, and Stars
Solar System Projects
As I was looking for ideas for our upcoming solar system unit I decided to browse around pinterest to get some inspiration. WOW! There are such creative people out there! With such a plethora of super creative and fun solar system projects for kids I just had to make a round up to share with all of you.
Tap Light Planets from Play at Home Mom 3. I love how this project will light up your childs room and serve as an educational night light.
Make the Solar System out of Food like Creative Kid Snacks. This adorable science snack idea is not only educational, but healthy too.
Make practicing the names of the planets and the order of the planets from the sun with this easy to make Paint Stick Solar System Project. I love that there is an activity to this clever, unique science project for kids.
Planets Snowglobe from Red Ted Art. This science craft is such a creative way for kids to learn about the planets in our solar system and review day after day.
Solar System Brownies from Almost Unschoolers. This easy-to-make and yummy solar system project is sure to be a favorite of kids for years to come.
Paper Mache Planets from At Home with Ali. This inexpensive, DIY planet project uses baloons and paper mache to create a beautiful science project.
Playdough Solar System from Childhood Beckons. This project is simple to make as it uses a tactile material you probably already have on hand! This is a science project you can make and remake over and over again.
Solar System Button Craft from Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational. If you have a stash of buttons you aren’t sure what to do with, this solar system planet project is just what you are looking for. Have your child repeat the planet names over and over again to help them retain the knowledge.
Felt Solar System from Counting Coconuts. For your crafty students, they will enjoy making their own solar system with just a little bit of sewing. This is a great activity to improve cordination and fine motor skills too.
Yarn Solar System from Art for Little Hands. This project combines yarn and paper mache to make really cool looking planets to display in your homeschool room.
Even preschoolers can help make these shaggy Yarn Planet balls There is no messy paper mache in this projects. Just wrapping and cutting to create planets you can hang or toss around.
Yarn Wrapped Planets from And Next Comes L. Yet another fun yarn project is an easy science craft for toddler, prek, and kindergarten age kids to complete. Plus it is great for using up random yarn pieces too.
This chalk planet project is an easy to make project to make today. Plus don’t miss the fun solar system game to help teach kids planet names, planet rotation, and time for the planets to get around the sun.
Plastic Lid Solar System from Still Playing School. I love how this project reuses plastic lids you probably have on hand from your weekly garbage.
Lego Solar System from Kitchen Counter Chronicles. Kids love making creations with Lego! This project allows kids to use their creativity and STEM to make their own brick solar system project. Have one child make the entire solar system or work together by having each child make a different planet.
Solar System Poster from Crafts n Coffee. Pop over to Joann Fabrics, Michaels, or Hobby Lobby and grab some different shaped foam balls to make this super cute solar system project perfect for a science fair board.
Solar System Mobile from Taming the Goblin. This solar system is not only fun to make, but great for hanging up in your homeschool room to remind your students about the planets.
Marble Solar System for Play from I Can Teach My Child. Do you have marbles laying around from a marble run or jacks? You can quickly whip up this creative solar system.
Hanger Solar System from Crafts and Coffee. Another creative idea for a hanging solar system for kids you can hang in your childs room.
Solar System Projects for Kids
- Earth and Moon Revolving Around the Sun Brad Craft from Easy Preschool Craft
- Measuring the Distance Between the Planets from Beekers and Bumblebees Blog
- Buy Inflatable Planets
Free Solar System Printables
Looking for free printable solar system worksheets and printables to go along with your solar system unit? You will love these pdf files to download and print.
- Solar System Worksheets – These worksheets allow kids to learn about our planets, key vocabulary, moon phases, key facts about each of the planets and more. (Ages Kindergarten, 1st-8th grade)
- Solar System Pack – Kids will have fun learning about about the solar system as they practice math, literacy, alphabet letters, and more. (Ages Toddler, Preschool, Kindergarten, 1st & 2nd grade)
- Astronaut Coloring Pages – These coloring sheets are a great way to introduce young kids to outer space while strengthening fine motor skills. (Ages Toddler, Preschool, Kindergarten)
- Solar System Coloring Pages – Detailed coloring pages that teach kids about the solar system, planets, and more for Preschool Kindergarten, and 1st-6th grade
- Constellations Mini Book – Elementary age kids will have fun learning about stars and the many patterns they appear in; plus how to make ac onstellation projector for Prek, Kindergarten, 1st-6th grade)
- Planets Mini Book – Make a cute little mini book to read, learn and use as a reference. THe book teaches about each of the planets for Pre k, Kindergarten, 1st-6th grade
- Moon Phases Mini Book – Learn about the different phases of the moon with this super cute print and fold book for Preschool ers, Kindergarteners, and 1st-6th graders
Looking for more fun, engaging, creative, and memorable moon projects for kids? You will love this 50 Moon Crafts & Activities for Kids collection with the best ideas from the whole internet!
Science for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments for kids – arranged by type of science
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on Science experiments with batteries
- 24 Epic Solar system science projects to try this week
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments the whole family will want to try
- Simple Galaxy science project
- Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane
- Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure science project
- Amazing POP rocks science experiment is one of our all-time favorite science experiments we like to do during the summer are
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers are so pretty you’ll forget it was as science project!
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- 30 Simple machines science projects kids will want to try
- Easy, fascinating, and colorful project answering Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment
- Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- 19 Edible science experiments – which delicious project will you try first?
- HUGE Free Solar System Unit (coloring pages, hands on science projects, worksheets, and more!)
- Pipe Cleaner Constellation Activity (As seen on Good Housekeeping!)
- Teach kids about conductivity with this fun squishy circuits projects
- Amazing, Heat Sensitive, Color Changing Slime
- Life Cycles for Kids (from penguin to sunflower and spider to turkey we have LOTS of life cycles to explore and learn about)
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment
- Kids will be amazed as you change colors of white flowers with this Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make
- Human Body Project
- Check out this super cool look INSIDE a Volcano Project
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Memorable Life Size Skeletal system science project – includes free printable template
- Find LOTS more Easy Science Experiments for kids of all ages!
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, grade 1 worksheets, second grade worksheets and more for K12. Plus see our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!