Kids will have fun learning about the formations the stars make in the night sky with these super cute, Constellation Flashcards. Use these constellations printables to make learning about constellations for kids FUN! Plus, don’t miss all the fun star activity ideas for using your cards with preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students. Simply print pdf file with the free constellation printables and your children will have fun learning with the constellation cards.
Constellations for Kids
A constellation is a group of visible stars that form a pattern when viewed from Earth. The pattern they form may take the shape of an animal, a mythological creature, a man, a woman, or an inanimate object such as a microscope, a compass, or a crown. The most common constellations that everyone can find include The Big Dipper (Ursa Major), The Little Dipper (Ursa Minor), Orion (The Hunter, Taurus (The Bull), and Gemini (The Twins)
Learn about the night sky with this set of constellation flashcards which includes 40 different constellations for kids. These constellations printables set that allows you to start studying Constellations, learn vocabulary, terms, and more. These free flashcards can be used to teach many of the constellations seen from the Northern Hemisphere to Preschool, pre k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade, 7th grade, and 8th grade students.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, run a summer camp, or are a homeschooler – you will love these free constellations flashcards. Their are so many fun ways to use these cards to help kids of all ages learn some common star constellations and begin to form an interest in astronomy and the solar system for kids.
We printed our flashcards on colored cardstock to make them pop, but you can print these black and white flashcards (to save you on printer ink) on plain white paper if you prefer. Now cut each page into 4 constellation cards using scissors.
The constellations included in these printables are:
- Ursa Major (includes Big Dipper); also known as big bear
- Ursa Minor also known as little dipper or little bear
- Lyra represented by a harp
- Hercules of Green mythology
- Canis Major the larger of Orion’s two hunting dogs. The constellation sits at the heel of it’s master Orion, and is next to the smaller constellation of Canis Minor
- Canis Minor – also known as The Little Dog.
- Draco represented by a dragon
- Orion has a clear hour-glass shape with “Orion’s Belt” in the center that is made up of three bright in line.
- Pegasus represented by winged mythological horse
- Andromeda is named after the princess Andromeda in Greek mythology.
- Cepheus is represents a king
- Aquilla represents an Eagle associated with the god Zeus. The Eagle appears to be swopping down towards constellation Aquarius
- Taurus represents a bull and commemorates the god Zeus changing himself into a beautiful white Bull to win the affections of the Phoenician princess Europa.
- In Greek mythology, Gemini was associated with the myth of siblings Castor and Pollux
- Virgo means “virgin” in Latin.
- Libra is Latin for weighing scales, making it the only constellation of the Zodiac representing an inanimate object.
- The Northern Cross is what’s known as an asterism. In other words, it’s not a constellation but simply a noticeable pattern of stars.
- Perseus constellation lies in the northern sky, next to Andromeda. It was named after the hero Perseus in Greek mythology. Perseus is one of the larger northern constellations.
- In mythology, Cancer is associated with the crab in the story of the Twelve Labours of Heracles
- The constellation COMA BERENICES represents the beautiful hair of Queen Berenice of Egypt. She was so concerned for the safety of her husband Ptolemy III when he went off to war, that she vowed to cut off her glorious long hair as a sacrifice to Venus, should he be spared.
There are two different cards in the file. We printed each set on a different colored cardstock.
- include constellation name and star formations (our purple cards above)
- coordinating cards that show what the star pattern was named after with a visual aid (including the constellation inside)
You can use these flashcards to play a matching memory game, as flashcards to memorize these constellations, or with some of the fun, hands on activities outlined below.
Solar System Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun, hands on science activities to teach kids about astronomy or to round out your solar system for kids unit. You will love these hands on solar system activities and lessons:
- The Sun Activities for Kindergarten – learn about the sun and how the planets orbit around it including a fun planets game for kids!
- Moon Activities for Kids & Astronauts Too – make oreo moon phases, DIY telescope, learn about the astronauts who landed on the moon, and more!
- Inner Planets for Kids (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars) – Use our free planet worksheets and fun hands-on activities like Mercury craters, Venus’ melting rocks, layers of the earth, and Erupting Mars Volcano
- Outer Planets for Kids (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune) – combination of hands-on solar system projects and solar system printables; gaseous Jupiter, Saturn Rocket, plus cloudy Uranus and Neptune.
- Pluto, Asteroid Belt, Comets, and Stars for Kids – make a FUN constellation projector, cold Pluto ice cream project, and grape constellation project
- Yarn Solar System Project – fun, unique, and easy solar system model that is cheap and so pretty!
- Paint Stick Solar System Project – easy-to-make solar system model for kids that doubles as an activity for learning the names and order of the planets
- Pipe Cleaner Constellations – fun hands on pipe cleaner constellations activity for kids
- Simple Galaxy Science Experiments
- Looking for more fun, engaging, creative, and memorable moon projects for kids? You will love this 50 Moon Activities for Kids & Crafts collection with the best ideas from the whole internet!
- TONS of really cool Solar System Project Ideas for kids of all ages
Free Solar System Printables
Plus, don’t forget to add these free solar system worksheets and printables to your lesson plan:
- HUGE pack of FREE Solar System Worksheets for elementary age kids
- Planet worksheets for kindergarten with solar system themed math and literacy activities for preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students
- Simple Astronaut Coloring Pages
- Space Worksheets Preschool
- Free Constellation Worksheets
- Solar System Coloring Pages to read, learn, and color the solar system
- Printable Free Constellations Printable pdf for children to learn about stars and the patterns they make in the night sky
- Cootie Catcher Constellation Activities for Kids
- Free Constellation Cards
- Moon Phases Kindergarten Worksheets – HUGE pack!
- Planets Solar System for Kids pdf Book for students to learn about all the planets in our solar system
- Moon Phases Printable Mini Book for kids to learn about the phases of the moon
Look for more free flashcards? We have lots of choices to help you learn and review lots of math, science, and literacy skills!
- Lego printable multiplication flash cards
- Shape Scavenger Hunt Flashcards
- Alphabet Wall Cards
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Flashcards
- Famous Landmarks Lego Challenge Cards
- Handy Music Note Flashcards
- Number Flashcards Printable
- Free Sign Language Flash Cards
- Printable Biology Flashcards
- Printable color flashcards for toddlers
- Free Printable Shape Flashcards
- Minion Division Printable Math Flashcards
- Free Printable Alphabet Flash Cards
- Addition Princess Flashcards
- Sight Word Flashcards
- Constellation Flashcards
- Lego Alphabet Crafts
- Printable Piano Flashcards
- Free Printable Color Flashcards
- Subtraction Toy Story Flashcards
- See all our printable flashcards for kids of all ages!
Free constellation printables
By using materials from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to grab their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!