Kids will have fun learning about the formations the stars make in the night sky with these super cute, free printable, Constellation Flashcards. Plus, don’t miss all the fun star activity ideas for using your cards.
Constellations for Kids
A constellation is a group of visible stars that form a pattern when viewed from Earth. The pattern they form may take the shape of an animal, a mythological creature, a man, a woman, or an inanimate object such as a microscope, a compass, or a crown.
The most common constellations that everyone can find include The Big Dipper (Ursa Major), The Little Dipper (Ursa Minor), Orion (The Hunter, Taurus (The Bull), and Gemini (The Twins)
Learn about the night sky with this 40 flashcard set that allows you to start studying Constellations, learn vocabulary, terms, and more. These free flashcards can be used to teach many of the constellations seen from the Northern Hemisphere to Preschool, pre k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade, 7th grade, and 8th grade students.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, run a summer camp, or are a homeschooler – you will love these free constellations flashcards. Their are so many fun ways to use these cards to help kids of all ages learn some common star constellations and begin to form an interest in astronomy and the solar system for kids.
We printed our flashcards on colored cardstock to make them pop, but you can print these black and white flashcards (to save you on printer ink) on plain white paper if you prefer. Now cut each page into 4 constellation cards using scissors.
The constellations included in these printables are:
- Ursa Major (includes Big Dipper); also known as big bear
- Ursa Minor also known as little dipper or little bear
- Lyra represented by a harp
- Hercules of Green mythology
- Canis Major the larger of Orion’s two hunting dogs. The constellation sits at the heel of it’s master Orion, and is next to the smaller constellation of Canis Minor
- Canis Minor – also known as The Little Dog.
- Draco represented by a dragon
- Orion has a clear hour-glass shape with “Orion’s Belt” in the center that is made up of three bright in line.
- Pegasus represented by winged mythological horse
- Andromeda is named after the princess Andromeda in Greek mythology.
- Cepheus is represents a king
- Aquilla represents an Eagle associated with the god Zeus. The Eagle appears to be swopping down towards constellation Aquarius
- Taurus represents a bull and commemorates the god Zeus changing himself into a beautiful white Bull to win the affections of the Phoenician princess Europa.
- In Greek mythology, Gemini was associated with the myth of siblings Castor and Pollux
- Virgo means “virgin” in Latin.
- Libra is Latin for weighing scales, making it the only constellation of the Zodiac representing an inanimate object.
- The Northern Cross is what’s known as an asterism. In other words, it’s not a constellation but simply a noticeable pattern of stars.
- Perseus constellation lies in the northern sky, next to Andromeda. It was named after the hero Perseus in Greek mythology. Perseus is one of the larger northern constellations.
- In mythology, Cancer is associated with the crab in the story of the Twelve Labours of Heracles
- The constellation COMA BERENICES represents the beautiful hair of Queen Berenice of Egypt. She was so concerned for the safety of her husband Ptolemy III when he went off to war, that she vowed to cut off her glorious long hair as a sacrifice to Venus, should he be spared.
There are two different cards in the download file. We printed each set on a different colored cardstock.
- include constellation name and star formations (our purple cards above)
- coordinating cards that show what the star pattern was named after with a visual aid (including the constellation inside)
You can use these flashcards to play a matching memory game, as flashcards to memorize these constellations, or with some of the fun, hands on activities outlined below.
Star Constellations for Kids
These fun activities are a fun way for students to star constellations names and become familiar with common formations. These constellation activities are perfect for preschoolers, prek, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students.
- Pipe Cleaner Constellations – fun, hands on activity for kids of all ages
- Learn shapes with this fun Flashlight Constellations
- Constellations Printable Mini Book
- Skip Counting Constellations Printable combines practicing counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s with dot to dot constellations!
- Fun-to-make Cootie Catcher Constellation Printable
- Create this fun Constellations Printable wheel to spin and learn about even more star formations
Solar System Activities
Looking for more fun, hands on science activities to teach kids about astronomy or to round out your solar system for kids unit. You will love these hands on solar system activities and lessons:
- The Sun for Kids
- Moon for Kids & Astronauts Too
- Inner Planets for Kids (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars)
- Outer Planets for Kids (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune)
- Pluto, Asteroid Belt, Comets, and Stars
- Yarn Solar System
- Paint Stick Solar System Project
- Pipe Cleaner Constellations – fun hands on constellation activity for kids
- Simple Galaxy Science Project
- Looking for more fun, engaging, creative, and memorable moon projects for kids? You will love this 50 Moon Crafts & Activities for Kids collection with the best ideas from the whole internet!
- TONS of really cool Solar System Project Ideas for kids of all ages
Free Solar System Printables
Plus, don’t forget to add these free solar system worksheets and printables to your lesson plan:
- HUGE pack of Free Solar System Worksheets for elementary age kids
- Solar system worksheets for kindergarten with solar system themed math and literacy activities for preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students
- Simple Astronaut Coloring Pages
- Solar System Colouring Pages to read, learn, and color the solar system
- Printable Constellations Book for children to learn about stars and the patterns they make in the night sky
- Cootie Catcher Constellation Printable
- Free Constellation Flashcards
- Moon Phases Worksheets
- Planets Printable Book for students to learn about all the planets in our solar system
- Moon Phases Printable Mini Book for kids to learn about the phases of the moon
Look for more free flashcards? We have lots of choices to help you learn and review lots of math, science, and literacy skills!
- Lego printable multiplication flash cards
- Shape Scavenger Hunt Flashcards
- Alphabet Wall Cards
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Flashcards
- Famous Landmarks Lego Challenge Cards
- Handy Music Note Flashcards
- Number Flashcards Printable
- Free Sign Language Flash Cards
- Printable Biology Flashcards
- Printable color flashcards for toddlers
- Free Printable Shape Flashcards
- Minion Division Printable Math Flashcards
- Free Printable Alphabet Flash Cards
- Addition Princess Flashcards
- Sight Word Flashcards
- Constellation Flashcards
- Lego Alphabet Crafts
- Printable Piano Flashcards
- Free Printable Color Flashcards
- Subtraction Toy Story Flashcards
- See all our printable flashcards for kids of all ages!
Free Printable Constellation Flashcards
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to download their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!