Are you and your child exploring the moon? Learn about this beautiful nighttime light that changes shape daily with these super cute moon crafts for kids and engaging moon activities for kids. We have so many creative moon projects for kids of all ages to learn about the moon or Celebrate National Moon Day on July 20th. Use these fun moon arts and crafts from preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th grade students.
Moon activities for kids
Are you looking for fun ideas to learn about the moon? These fun moon crafts for kids help kids learn about the Earth’s moon in our solar system while having fun creating a memorable moon art for kids. Plus, we have lots of hands on moon activities for kids to learn about phases of the moon, moon orbit, solar system planets, and so much more! We have plenty of moon activities for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – we’ve got the perfect moon project idea for your unit. Plan your letter m is for moon weekly theme, science unit, or sneak in some fun learning this summer.
Neil Armstrong took that momentous ‘first step’ as part of the Apollo Space program under President John F. Kennedy. The shuttle, Apollo 11, launched into space on July 16, 1969, and landed on the moon on July 20th, when Armstrong took his first step, proclaiming “That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.”
National Moon Day
Did you know there’s a holiday to celebrate the moon? Really!
National Moon Day is celebrated every year on July 20th. The holiday commemorates the day the first man walked on the moon – July 20, 1969. Celebrate this significant period in American history with some of these fun Moon Crafts and Activities for Kids.
Have fun learning about the moon with these Moon Activities or make a few moon treats! Have fun celebrating!
Moon crafts for kids
- Moon Unit Study from 123 Homeschool 4 Me – This free printable, hands on educational unit has everything you need to teach kids about the moon. These engaging activities are sure to make the information stick for Prek-6th graders. To give you an idea of all the resources in this moon unit, you will find: printable moon phases mini book, printable to make Oreo moon phases, solar system worksheets with labeling pages, audio clips and video clips from the Neil Armstrong historic landing on the moon, and a DIY working telescope project for kids to make.
- Smashing ABC Moon Rocks from Stir the Wonder – This fun activity allows kids to practice alphabet letters while smashing “moon rocks”
- Button Moon Collage from Adventure in a Box – Make a beautiful moon art project with buttons.
- Moon Phases Game from Nerdy Mamma – Kids will have fun learning the moon phases with this science game.
- Design a Moon Rover from Adventures in Mommydom – This science project will excite early learners! Use lego to make your own moon rover.
- Moon Coloring Page from 123 Homeschol 4 Me – Grab these free printable coloring pages for kids to learn about and create their own moon!
- Moon with Craters Kid’s Craft from JDaniel4’s Mom – help kids remmber that there are craters on the moon with this fun moon craft
- Oreo Moon Phase Match from Simple Learning – Don’t toss those moon phases oreos yet…. use them with this free printabele as a fun matching game for younger siblings.
Moon activities for preschoolers
- Gross Motor Moon Phases Activity from Learn Play Imagine – active children will have fun practicnig names of moon phases with this engaging activity
- Moon Math Game from Stir the Wonder – Kids will have fun practicing math with this hands on, math themed math activity for prek
- Aluminum Foil Moon from Mommy’s Bundle – simple sensory art project for toddlers and preschoolers
- Moon Science from Preschool Powol Packets – teach kids what it means that there is no wind on the moon and how that changes things from our own planet Earth with this simple, hands on science project
- FREE Moon Phases Worksheets from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games – kids will have fun practicing variety of math and literacy skills including alphabet letters, counting, addition, patterns, and more with a fun moon theme
- Sun, Earth, Moon Model from Easy Preschool Craft – this super cool solar system model help skids visualize how planet rotation works!
- Erupting Moon Rocks from Learn Play Imagine – this science acitvity lets youngsters watch science at work as they explore “moon rocks”
- Space Binoculars with Curious George from Red Ted Art – time to roll play with these binoculars kids can make themselves
- Moon Dust Writing Tray from Stir the Wonder – Students will get a kick out of practicing writing alphabet letters in moon dust with the hands on educational activity for your moon unit.
There are so many moon art projects from hands-on crafts, activities, and moon printables too!
- Moon Craft Mobile for Kids from Fantastic Fun & Learning – Hang this beautiful project in your classroom or homeschool space to get kids excited about your moon study.
- Cardboard Spaceship Climbing Toy from Pink Stripey Socks – this moon project is fun to create and make launch again and again. I love crafts that do cool, unexpected things!
- Moon Journal from Buggy and Buddy – This free printable is a great one to go download before you study the moon. Kids can make their own observations about how the moon likes for an entire month.
- Moon Phases Mini Book from 123 Homeschool 4 Me – Kids will have fun learning what the different phases of the moon are called and what it means for the location of the moon in relation to our planet with this informative, free printable moon book for kids.
- Puffy Paint Moon & Stars from Clare’s Little Tots – Make some twinkling stars and glowing moon with this puffy paint craft for young learners.
- Letter M is for Moon Craft from Crayons and Cravings – This simple letter M craft is perfect for those exploring the moon as part of a letter of the week study for preschool, prek, or kindergarten age kids.
- Rocket to the Moon Sight Word Activity from Growing Book by Book – this is such a fun active way to practice dolch words or spelling words with a fun rocket theme
I love the clever moon phases using a paper plate projet, moon phases glue resist painting or one of these other cute moon art for kids.
- Traditional Moon Craft from Super Simple – kids will love making this cheerful yellow moon craft that helps kids visualize the dark side of the moon too
- M is for Moon from 123 Homeschool 4 Me – Preschooler and Kindergartners will love this playful exploraiton of the moon! Make a life size space shuttle, moon roover, grab a free printable to introduce kids to kep faces and facts, dig into a fun sensory bin, make constellations for star stickers, and more!
- Foil Printed Moon from A Dab of Glue will Do – kids will go nuts over this clever method of painting their moon craft
- Moon Craft from Fantastic Fun & Learning – What a fun, clever, tactile moon craft for kids to make
- Lite Up Moon Craft from Simply Today Craft – Amaze your friends with this paper mache meets tea light moon craft
- Phases of the Moon Mobile from Creative Family Fun – this fun to create mobile is the perfect start to your moon theme. All you need is paper plates, paint, and yarn.
- Moon Phases Glue Resist Painting from Chalk Academy – I love the combination of various mediums and methods to achieve these truly stunning cards that help kids learn and remeber the phases of the moon.
- I Love You to the Moon & Back Ornament from Emma Owl -This ornament is the sweetest and the perfect keepsake for mom, Dad, Grandma, or Grandpa.
Whether you want to draw or paint a cute moon craftor you prefer a hands-on moon activity like the tin foil mon project or GIANT paper mache moon – these are so much fun!
- Glow in the Dark Moon Phases Mobile from Left Brain Craft Brain – Brighten up your little astronauts room with this fun-to-make project that teaches too
- Moon with Craters Craft from – Upscycle leftover bubble wrap to make this truly fun and unique moon craft
- DIY Puffy Paint Moon from Rainy Day Mum -this is such a simple yet beautiful moon craft for kids to make along with your moon unit
- Washi Tape Moon from 3 Dinosaurs – Kids will have fun with this simple, but beautiful moon project for kids
- Homemade Moon Sand from Powerful Mothering – don’t worry about ordering moon sand for your sensory bin, make your own with this simple, taste safe recipe!
- Tin Foil Moon Craft from Make Film Play – This moon art project is sure to leave an “impression”
- Day and Night Moon Craft from NonToy Gifts – cute paper plate and printable craft to help kids learn how day turns into night and day again
- Mosaic Moon Craft from In the Playroom – this beautiful mosaic craft is sure to be a favorite craft for years with its interesting colors and patterns for kids to create and admire.
- Moon Phases Wreath from 3 Dinosaurs – How clever is this beautiful and educational moon phases craft?!
- Giant Paper Mache Moon from Jake and Kate – WOW! This colossal moon craft is sure to delight and impress
Moon Snacks & Treats
What’s a celebration without a fun treat! Try one of these snacks or treats when planning your moon celebration:
- Eat the Moon Space Snack from Things to Share & Remember – A healthy treat to add to your families moon theme
- Caramel Mocha Moon Cookies from The Monday Box – bake up some yummy cookies together for a snack as you learn
- Astronaut Snack from Parenting Chaos – young learners will love exploring texture with this astronaut snack idea
- Moon Balls from Meaningful Mama – pop one of these healthy moon balls for a no fuss snack during your study of the moon
Moon Books for Kids
If you want to learn more about the moon or Neil Armstrong, check out a few of these books:
- On the Moon – One of our favorite books for helpink kids learn about what life is like on the moon and the first space walk with beautiful illustrations and characters they will enjoy reading over and over again.
- Eight Days Gone – Catchy rhyming vereses and retro art will bring you back to Apollo 11’s historic mission to the moon in 1969
- One Giant Leap – Stunning, realistic illustrations draw readers into the first landing on the moon
- The Moon Book – Gail Gibbons draws readers in as they learn about moon phases, eclipses, and other fascinating facts about the moon
- Team Moon – Don’t miss this book that reminds kids the trip to the moon was not just about the astronauts, but about the seamsetress who sewed the space suits, engineers why made the heat shield, aerospace technicians, and so many more untold crew essential to the success of the mission. You will love this rare perspective!
Don’t miss our Solar System Unit filled with fun, hands-on projects and activities to help K6 kids learn about our amazing universe! Plus tons of free solar system worksheets too!
Solar System Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun, hands on science activities to teach kids about astronomy or to round out your solar system for kids unit. You will love these hands on solar system activities and lessons:
- The Sun Activities for Kindergarten – learn about the sun and how the planets orbit around it including a fun planets game for kids!
- Moon Activities for Kids & Astronauts Too – make oreo moon phases, DIY telescope, learn about the astronauts who landed on the moon, and more!
- Inner Planets for Kids (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars) – Use our free planet worksheets and fun hands-on activities like Mercury craters, Venus’ melting rocks, layers of the earth, and Erupting Mars Volcano
- Outer Planets for Kids (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune) – combination of hands-on solar system projects and solar system printables; gaseous Jupiter, Saturn Rocket, plus cloudy Uranus and Neptune.
- Pluto, Asteroid Belt, Comets, and Stars for Kids – make a FUN constellation projector, cold Pluto ice cream project, and grape constellation project
- Yarn Solar System Project – fun, unique, and easy solar system model that is cheap and so pretty!
- Paint Stick Solar System Project – easy-to-make solar system model for kids that doubles as an activity for learning the names and order of the planets
- Pipe Cleaner Constellations – fun hands on pipe cleaner constellations activity for kids
- Simple Galaxy Science Experiments
- Looking for more fun, engaging, creative, and memorable moon projects for kids? You will love this 50 Moon Activities for Kids & Crafts collection with the best ideas from the whole internet!
- TONS of really cool Solar System Project Ideas for kids of all ages
Free Solar System Printables
Plus, don’t forget to add these free solar system worksheets and printables to your lesson plan:
- HUGE pack of FREE Solar System Worksheets for elementary age kids
- Planet worksheets for kindergarten with solar system themed math and literacy activities for preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students
- Simple Astronaut Coloring Pages
- Free Constellation Activity Sheets
- Space Worksheets Preschool
- Solar System Coloring Pages to read, learn, and color the solar system
- Printable Free Constellations Printable pdf for children to learn about stars and the patterns they make in the night sky
- Cootie Catcher Constellation Activities for Kids
- Free Constellation Cards
- Moon Phases Kindergarten Worksheets – HUGE pack!
- Planets Solar System for Kids pdf Book for students to learn about all the planets in our solar system
- Moon Phases Printable Mini Book for kids to learn about the phases of the moon
Fun Science Experiments
Here are some of our most popular lessons and activities or see all our science for kids conveniently sorted!
- 30 Simple Machines for Kids Experiments
- Launch this experiment and record your findings with this Coke and mentos experiment worksheet
- Lots of FUN Solar System Project Ideas for kids
- Printable Solar System Worksheets (free) or planet worksheets for kindergarten
- Grab these free printable solar system coloring pages
- Simple pop rocks experiment for kids (with free worksheet)
- Stunning chromatography butterflies
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable body parts
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments – arranged by type of science
- Free Printable Human Body for Kids Playdough Mats
- Leak proof bag fun science experiments
- Older students can dive deeper with these free skeletal system worksheet pages
- Amazing Why do leaves change color experiment
- Learn about seasons with this cool free 4 seasons printables
- Animals and their Babies matching puzzles
- Take a closer look at animals with this free printable animal report for for kids
Science Exeriments for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- Weather Unit for prek-3rd graders filled with experiments, activities and weather worksheets
- Make it rain and write your observations in these cloud in a jar experiment worksheet
- Learn about our moon with these activities and moon worksheets for 1st grade
- Free Water Cycle Worksheets for kids
- Discover a world of geology with these rock worksheets for kids
- Free printable states of matter activity with clip cards
- Discover what lies below the surface with these free Layers of Earth Worksheets
- Make playdough earth layers with this super cool geology experiment for kids
- LOTS of year-round Science Experiments for Kids
- Kids will love this outrageously fun pipe clean constellations activity
- This look inside a volcano experiment for kids takes learning to a whole new level
- Chromatography Butterflies project for kids
- Learn about the kingdom Animalia with over 20 Zoo Scavenger Hunt free printables
- Harness the power of fruit with this simple Lemon Clock for kids
- Learn about famous female inventors with this read, color, and learn booklet for kids
- Easy Bernoulli’s principle experiment at home
- Amaze kids with this simple burning candle experiment with free worksheets
Easy Science Experiments
Explore our science projects based on all science for kids, types of free science lessons, or seasonal science experiments.
- Gross and so cool Digestive System Project for kids of all ages
- Amazing Rainbow in a Jar Experiment for Kids
- Epic Baking Soda and Vinegar Rocket Experiment
- Cool Milk and Vinegar Expeirment making plastic!
- Learn about your amazing brain with this activity and brain worksheets
- How do hands work project for kids
- Super cool and easy-to-make, working lego balloon car
- Plants for kids lesson
- Bouncy Naked Egg with FREE egg in vinegar experiment worksheet
- Explore magnets with these EPIC magnet experiments for kids
- Popsicle Stick Catapult for kids – simple STEM project
- Simple light bulb experiment (it actually lights up!)
- Easy-to-make balloon hoovercraft
- Bouncy Eggs and eggs in vinegar experiment worksheet
- Learn about density for kids with these simple balloon solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities
- Create your own super simple bot
- Beautiful, color changing capillary action experiment with flowers
- WOW your kids with how to make a Newton’s cradle project
- Heat-sensitive, Color Changing Slime is SO COOL!
Leave a Reply