Make learning about clouds for kids FUN with these engaging cloud activities. We have several weather activities for spring including rain cloud in a jar, cotton ball types of cloud activity with cloud printables, and free printable cloud in a jar experiment worksheet. Use the cloud in a jar experiment with toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students. Whether you do all the cloud lesson or just the hugely popular rain experiment – this is sure to be a fun spring activity for kids!
Clouds for kids
Here is first week in our science weather unit using these free Weather Worksheets and activities. For this clouds for kids lesson students will have a chance to try some cloud science, cloud workseets, and cloud activities to make learning fun. Start out with the always popular cloud in a jar. In this super easy shaving cream rain clouds activity children will see how saturation of evaporated rain leads to rain with a colorful visual kids will always remember.
Cloud in a jar experiment worksheet
Cloud in a Jar
Have you tried the Rain Cloud Experiment? This simple, fun weather activity for kids is a great way to help kids understand what clouds and rain have to do with each other. Basically you fill your glass 3/4 of the way up with water. Now fill the remaining area with white shaving cream. Use an eye dopper to add several drops of food coloring to the top of the shaving cream cloud.
- clear glass
- shaving cream
- food coloring
When the cloud gets too heavy (saturated with liquid), the drops fall through the cloud as rain! Tell kids that when water droplets gget too heavy in the sky, gravity pulls them down from the clouds as rain. This simple rain experiment is an easy way to demonstrate.
Cloud activities for preschoolers
Then to illustrate how clouds hold moisture the kids put about 20 drops of food coloring in the “cloud” It took about 7 minutes for my son’s cloud to become heavy enough that it began to rain – you can see the colored rain. My daughter’s cloud went faster. We hypothesized it was becasuse either her shaving cream cloud layer was smaller (so it would become saturated quicker) or that she ended up putting more moisture (food coloring) in the top. It was fun to see the differences nd watch it rain while the clouds remaided fluffy and white.
Rain cloud in a jar experiment lesson plan
This is really a very quick and easy weather experiment that is simple to set-up, produces a pretty WOW effect kids will remember, and is a great demonstration of why it rains for kids.
Rain cloud in a jar experiment worksheet
Plus don’t miss grabbing the rain cloud in a jar experiment worksheet to help kids record their findings.
Cloud activities for kids
We observed clouds for a couple weeks and made a graph. The no cloud days definitely “won”. We did some fun, preschool type worksheets. One of our favorites is the Roll & Add Cloud worksheets. They loved putting their colorful magnets on top of the numbers on rainbow the dice rolled add up to.
Preschool cloud activities
We also made cloud art using the classic – cotton ball cloud! It may be old, but it is still just as fun for kids today =)
Clouds activities for preschoolers
I don’t know about you, but it is pretty much a given that if we are going to study clouds we won’t have any! (You saw our chart above, right?!) Because I know that is how things go, I started taking pictures of clouds before hand. I put the cloud printables in sheet protectors and then let the kids draw to make the clouds come alive. This was the indoor way to lay on the grass, look up at the clouds, and see things in them – the way I had planned it! But it worked pretty well. The kids had SO much fun!
- Simple Air Pressure Experiments for kids
- EPIC Lego Water Cycle Model for Kids
- Rain Cloud for Kids experiment and free worksheet
- How to Make a Weather Vane – easy weather science project for elementary age students
- Type of Cloud Activities for Kids with FREE Printable Worksheets
- Cold Front Weather Science Experiments for Kids
- Water Cycle in a Bag Weather Activity with free printable worksheet
- Amazing Rising Water with burning candle Air Pressure Experiment
- Free Printable Water Cycle for Kids Flip Book
- Lots of fun ideas for a weather theme this week
- Grow a Rainbow Activity for Kids
- Clever Rain Craft for kids to make
- Hibernation preschool activities learning about weather
- Severe Storms for Kids – includes tornado in a bottle, what to do in an emergency, and storm worksheets for kids
- 2 Hands-on Water Cycle Activities for Kids
- Large Printable Weather Unit for kids
- Free Printable Seasons Worksheets w/ Free 4 Season Printables
- FREE Printable Water Cycle Worksheets for Kids
- Lots of weather printables to help kids learn about weather terms while epracticing math and literacy skills
- Clouds for Kids Mini Book
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids
Rain cloud experiment worksheet
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
>> Cloud Creations here <<